Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 02:34 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How are they not allowed to get married at a young age? Nothing is stopping them.
How is a married couple that is 20 years old for example and each making around $20k or less going to be able to sustain themselves financially? Especially in regions with a very high cost of living, such as D.C., NY, Boston, CA, etc., where a single person has to make around at least $100k - $150k or more to even have a shot at a reasonably-comfortable lifestyle? They can't...and so it is an instant marriage-killer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 02:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
(Bolded portion above.) Why doesn't society offer a fair, inflation-adjusted living wage, for example?

The hard reality for young people is, you can basically only get a fair shake today in the economic compensation arena if you work at something like being a doctor, dentist, lawyer, IT worker, economist, and similar professions...all of which require advanced degrees, advanced training, and/or many, many years of schooling and specialized training, and this only typically postpones workers in those fields from marrying and starting families.
Oh, I get it:

What you want is to work at a clothing store in the mall and get paid the same as the IT worker because, gosh darn it, it's just not fair that you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Meanie Boomers! Who set up this system anyway? I'm worth waaaay more than $10.00/hour. If fact it's an insult that they pay me so little!

Umm.... No.

Put your helmet on. Life is hard.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:37 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
How is a married couple that is 20 years old for example and each making around $20k or less going to be able to sustain themselves financially? Especially in regions with a very high cost of living, such as D.C., NY, Boston, CA, etc., where a single person has to make around at least $100k - $150k or more to even have a shot at a reasonably-comfortable lifestyle? They can't...and so it is an instant marriage-killer...
How does the fact they are married effect what they can do on a combined income of 40K a year? When I was poor I had a roommate to share the rent.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sure, just change the laws in your state. Once they get married then they can stroll down to city hall and pick up a check for $50K "to get them started in life".

Let them just add to your property tax bill to cover all these marriages.
Want to put a limit on just the first marriage ? First for both or first for either one ?
LGBT "unions" count too ?

You want to give them a good "financial" start in life then open your wallet and give it to them.
FWIW, I am personally socially-conservative and economically-liberal...the implication that I am biased toward towards the extreme left wing is simply untrue...

However, assuming I were hypothetically able to financially and that I had the appropriate means, I would gladly pay more in taxes, if I believed it was for the good of society. I already pay full Social Security and Medicare taxes on my income, both of which I fully and wholeheartedly support, btw.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh, I get it:

What you want is to work at a clothing store in the mall and get paid the same as the IT worker because, gosh darn it, it's just not fair that you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Meanie Boomers! Who set up this system anyway? I'm worth waaaay more than $10.00/hour. If fact it's an insult that they pay me so little!

Umm.... No.

Put your helmet on. Life is hard.
I am sorry to report that your base assumptions are incorrect. In my personal case, I did work my way up, over the years, for many years. I started my career myself with a little over $20k in annual wages, and have since over the years worked hard and built it up to a little over $100k a year. And I actually work in IT.

I couldn't help but notice that in your quoted portion of my earlier post, you also omitted the part where I mentioned that valuable, critical professions such as firefighters, police officers, social workers, etc. are vastly underpaid...

In the U.S today, financial compensation to workers in many professions is inherently unjust, with some professions artificially overpaid, and others underpaid...it really has nothing to do if someone works in a clothing store or mall or not. The point is, with inflation and deflation over the past some decades, many people (both old and young) simply do not have a sustainable living wage.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
And just what is 'society' suppose to offer you in the way of viability?

I was married at 20 after living together for two years. Out of my parents house at 18.
We both worked two jobs for many years and lived on our own extremely cheaply saving up one of each of our salaries.
In our spare time he completed college and built a nice house from scratch before we were 24.
The travel and fun came in spurts when we could though kids weren't in the picture for ten years.

I understand things are expensive these days but it can still be done if you're willing to work this hard.
Yes, I definitely agree 100% that hard work is very important. As far as what society can do to offer avenues to viability: the best thing I can think of is to provide people with an inflation-adjusted, sustainable living wage. Wages for the average worker over the past few decades have simply not been adequately indexed for inflation.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 11-10-2012 at 03:41 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 03:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Marriage is often too lightly i=entered inot these days IMO> Its not fiqanciall either. Society includes those who are not amrried;married;divorce ;you name it. Society actaully encourages marriage in mnay ways and discourages it in others.No one evr promosed that marriage emans one perosn can work and anther not ;it just depedns o the times and whether two workigmakwe fiancail sense.just like havig children especially malkes was once seen as provide a wrok to contribute to faily wealth anf futre prosperity i the time when we were a g agriculutral society . Children weere nuirtured by parents and then children support aprnets in older age ften from work provided by the wealth producig work inherited.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:44 PM

488 posts, read 412,752 times
Are you requesting that some government agency provide youthful authority-recognized personal relationships a dowry?

To help re-define the concept of parents' rights-

Should the government do for you what your biological donors would have done a generation or so back would have?

Should your social security number be inked at birth above the implanted rfid chip?

Old 11-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalSanctuaryMan View Post
Are you requesting that some government agency provide youthful authority-recognized personal relationships a dowry?
My major point throughout several posts on the thread was that the if average working younger couple had a sustainable, inflation-adjusted living wage, it would be much easier and more realistic for younger couples to marry in the first place. In today's world, many young people, even if they want to marry, are forced to postpone marriage, due to the lack of having wages that are inflation-adjusted against the inflationary and deflationary backdrops we have had ever since the 1970s or earlier.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I am sorry to report that your base assumptions are incorrect. In my personal case, I did work my way up, over the years, for many years. I started my career myself with a little over $20k in annual wages, and have since over the years worked hard and built it up to a little over $100k a year.
I was wrong?

You make over 100K? Well then. I'm assuming you are now a man of character and values because you worked your way up. The fact that you now think we should be subsidizing 20 somethings is a little surprising. Most people who work hard to get someplace know the value of doing things yourself and not getting things handed to you by someone else. They're also usually quite grumpy about being asked to pay for someone else's cable. (I read the Republicans here. They hate Obamacare. They're certainly not going to subsidize someone else's marriage.)

Whatever. This is NO. Total fail. Sorry. Look around you. We have true poverty in this country. If we're going to be helping anyone let's start with helping feed hungry kids. Not helping perfectly healthy Heather and Chuck have nice curtains in their rent-controlled condo.

And who is "forcing" people to delay marriage? You go to City Hall, get your license, get married and go live your life. Easy. Free Country. (If you're straight.) If it's difficult for 20 somethings to live without an iPhone and a really great data plan....they need to go get that helmet. Which they have to pay for themselves.

p.s. Where on earth did you get the idea that life is supposed to be "easy". I'm still thinking you need that skid lid.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-10-2012 at 04:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies