Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 07:35 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Labor is paid for. Many Americans don't work and still get paid. I am talking about healthy Americans who believe they are too good to sweat. On days that I take off work for an appointment the grocery stores are full of young, vital people using food stamps. What is happening? Don't tell me they can't find a job because where I live people are begging for help. It is just that these jobs are "beneath" some people that expect to get a high paying job when they have no education and no skills. America will not get better until people are made to be responsible for themselves and their children.

The last two places I have lives have lots of young (and not-so-young) college graduates working as baristas; the high school graduates can't find jobs because the college grads took them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 07:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
liberal America says your nothing but a white racist vulture capitalist .
Well liberal America can kiss my grits

Let them go ask their Hollywood idols for more money cause I'm tapped out.

Seriously though..I see too many people complain about how they aren't making enough money to make ends meet. In reality though..they are probably spending more than they are making now due to increased prices and don't want to give up anything.

People are shocked when I tell them I don't have cable and got rid of it 5-6 years ago.
That's over $100 a month..$1200 per year. I can find TV shows, movies, documentaries on the internet.
Amazon has movies for $1.00 to watch.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Labor is paid for. Many Americans don't work and still get paid. I am talking about healthy Americans who believe they are too good to sweat. On days that I take off work for an appointment the grocery stores are full of young, vital people using food stamps. What is happening? Don't tell me they can't find a job because where I live people are begging for help. It is just that these jobs are "beneath" some people that expect to get a high paying job when they have no education and no skills. America will not get better until people are made to be responsible for themselves and their children.
I agree with you, but with wages so low, many people work and are still on food stamps. I work with several of those people.

What's the benefit of working if what your paid doesn't afford you any better of a living than those on government assistance??

Old 11-10-2012, 07:48 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well liberal America can kiss my grits

Let them go ask their Hollywood idols for more money cause I'm tapped out.

Seriously though..I see too many people complain about how they aren't making enough money to make ends meet. In reality though..they are probably spending more than they are making now due to increased prices and don't want to give up anything.

People are shocked when I tell them I don't have cable and got rid of it 5-6 years ago.
That's over $100 a month..$1200 per year. I can find TV shows, movies, documentaries on the internet.
Amazon has movies for $1.00 to watch.
With all due respect, I don't think you understand today's situation. If your of retirement age, than the environment was much different when you were in your prime working years.

Times have changed. There are millions upon millions of Americans who can't pay their basic bills (food, rent, and gas) and are working full time.

That is a problem.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
With all due respect, I don't think you understand today's situation. If your of retirement age, than the environment was much different when you were in your prime working years.

Times have changed. There are millions upon millions of Americans who can't pay their basic bills (food, rent, and gas) and are working full time.

That is a problem.
There are also millions and millions more who can though. It also depends where you live.
I live in a low COL area.

My son is 21 and in college. He pays his rent, utilities, phone and food with a part time job.
There are areas that are affordable. Put him in NYC though and he'd be homeless with that same job.

I do understand today's situation. But also understand that is not applicable to all places.
I choose to live in a low COL state so more of my money stays in my pocket.

I'm retired and can live comfortably in Texas but I had to move away from Austin. I could not afford to retire and stay in the Austin area because the taxes were too high and only going higher as the more affluent moved to Austin and demanded more services which meant increased taxes.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
This:

Section 8 of the United States Constitution

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States

And this:

from the Declaration of Independence

we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor

Old 11-10-2012, 07:58 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because the 99% don't have any more money and they want their social programs.
Somebody has to pay so it might as well be those left with some money in their pockets.
Or, perhaps those who want their corporate welfare programs should also be paying, eh?

Old 11-10-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Or, perhaps those who want their corporate welfare programs should also be paying, eh?
Well that would be the corporate tax code and I haven't heard that Congress is going to change that.
They are just wanting to tax individuals.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:00 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Have you heard that old truism, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction? Do you not think that if people in high finance and industry, etc. experience increased costs, they will just pass it on the consumers of there product as a price increase? Thus, it is the little guy, the alleged 99 percent person who will get hurt in the end. Now will one of you brilliant liberals tell me where I am making a mistake in my thinking?
Can you cite any factual examples of these people in high finance and industry passing on lower prices when they've been given tax cuts?

Willard told 60 Minutes his 14% rate was fair and the way to stimulate economic growth. Just WHERE is this growth he referred to?

Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Can you cite any factual examples of these people in high finance and industry passing on lower prices when they've been given tax cuts?

Willard told 60 Minutes his 14% rate was fair and the way to stimulate economic growth. Just WHERE is this growth he referred to?
Most first world countries have lackluster stagnated economies.
The areas that are growing are the emerging nations.

We have to get rid of the debt and learn to live within our revenue stream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies