Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Have you heard that old truism, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction? Do you not think that if people in high finance and industry, etc. experience increased costs, they will just pass it on the consumers of there product as a price increase? Thus, it is the little guy, the alleged 99 percent person who will get hurt in the end. Now will one of you brilliant liberals tell me where I am making a mistake in my thinking?
Because the poor people on food stamps deserve the riches money. The poor and middle class need to have fairness. So it is only fair to take money from the rich and give to the poor. The rich do not need it anyway they are rich already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 04:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Today I had the thought that half of this country pays on the debt and then pays for all the extras that government is not charged within their duties to do.

Time for everyone to pay income tax.

How much income tax should a minimum wage burger flipper pay?

Old 11-10-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Because the poor people on food stamps deserve the riches money. The poor and middle class need to have fairness. So it is only fair to take money from the rich and give to the poor. The rich do not need it anyway they are rich already

The poor need to be able to keep what they earn instead of paying higher state and local tax rates than everybody else as they do now.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because the bottom 50% right now don't pay any taxes. Some even get back more than they paid in.
And we've already heard that it would be a hardship on them to pay taxes.

I earn minimum wage, which definitely puts me in the bottom 50%, and I pay taxes, and I don't get back more than I paid in.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The poor need to be able to keep what they earn instead of paying higher state and local tax rates than everybody else as they do now.
But ideas like the fair tax which would do that are a right wing hate group trying to hurt the poor. We need to give them more food stamps to cover taxes on at least their wine

Old 11-10-2012, 04:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
It's FAIR to take from one person, without his consent, and give to someone else who has done nothing to deserve what the person who worked for what he has has?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
How much income tax should a minimum wage burger flipper pay?
Enough that the budget balances with everyone elses taxes. The bills must be paid and the problem isn't that the 50% who are paying taxes aren't paying enough. The problem is the 50% who are not paying taxes and that, something like, 40% of them get money back they didn't pay in in the first place. If someone needs welfare, they should apply for welfare. I have no idea why the tax system is being used like welfare. There are so many taking from the system or not paying into the system making the decsions for those of us who get the bill. When those who don't pay the taxes, decide the taxes for those who do, you have a problem. That is the situation we have now. It's analgous to me taking my family to a restaurant and getting the bill for both me and the table next to me with no control over what the table next to me orders. If they have to pay something, maybe they'll think about what they're spending.

What you're missing is that both wages and prices will adjust if you tax those who pay no taxes now. Raise the minimum wage by 25% and then tax them at a 15% rate. Their buying power will stay the same. Prices will go up which means those who spend more will pay more but spending is a choice. I can decide if I can afford something. I get no choice in taxes.

In the end, it is the consumer who pays the tax that is put on the minimum wage burger flipper's wages.

I favor a flat tax. If someone makes 10 times more than the next guy, he pays 10 times the taxes. Set the tax rate at what the government needs. With everyone paying taxes, I'm willing to bet that bottom 50% will want to vote to curb spending.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It's FAIR to take from one person, without his consent, and give to someone else who has done nothing to deserve what the person who worked for what he has has?
In old America it would not be but you have to catch up to the times this is liberal America now, Now its not fair that someone that works for there money keeps it from the government . Liberal America has government taking care of all, to do that it only fair that the rich pay .

Old 11-10-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
I earn minimum wage, which definitely puts me in the bottom 50%, and I pay taxes, and I don't get back more than I paid in.
Quit get food stamps and welfare you will make more

Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
You only get more back than you pay in if you make use of things like the per child tax credit, the day care tax credit, the homestead tax credit, etc, etc, etc.... There are a number of tax credits for people in certain situations. In order to be in the group that pays no tax, you need some tax credits and write offs.

Personally, I don't think there should be write offs. It's none of the governments business how many kids I have or whether I have a mortgage or how big that mortgage is (while encouraging mortgages does stimulate the housing market, I don't think we get as much as we give here.).

The nice thing about a flat tax with no write offs is if you earn more, you take home more. I was shocked when I graduated from college. I tripled my income but paid 6 times the taxes. All that work and I wasn't nearly as well off as I thought I'd be. I was the working poor before college and never realized that you don't just pay more because you make more, you pay a LOT more becauseyou make more and I only elevated myself into the lower middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies