Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
They already do.

Lets see.. under Eisenhower the rich were paying 90% in taxes..........

I'm all for that again,after all it was the "good" times..... even under a republican president.....

The rich didn't leave the country then and invest overseas.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 06:33 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
The sad thing is the Govt think it's their money they are letting us keep.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:33 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't think it's so much about what they pay, it's more about what they get to keep.
The rich get to keep too much of their money.

It doesn't matter if you only pay 10% and I pay 50%. If I have more money in my pocket than you after paying that 50% then I'm not paying enough.

Do you get it now ?
Not sure what point you're making. If you read my posts, I am stating that the rich already pay enough.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
So you won't consider things "fair" until everyone, regardless of income, ends up with the same dollars in their pockets after paying their taxes?
That's how I see it. The left seem to want people to end up with "their fair share".

No matter what type of tax structure you debate it always comes down to the wealthy keeping too much of their money.
It's not about how much they have to pay..it's about how much they get to keep and they are keeping too much.

Once you understand that, then you can debate with them.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
They already do.
Many of them don't due to deductions and loopholes.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post

I'm all for that again,after all it was the "good" times..... even under a republican president.....

They didn't leave because there was money to made in the US. Wages were low and production and natural resource costs were too. Since neither of those things exist today, the outcome of a 90% tax rate might be a bit different.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Many of them don't due to deductions and loopholes.
Oh, should everyone making over $x disregard the tax laws ?
Should they not take deductions and credits ?

Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
They didn't leave because there was money to made in the US. Wages were low and production costs were too. Since neither of those things exist today, the outcome of a 90% tax rate might be a bit different.
Agreed.

I honestly don't think anyone should pay over 50% in taxes.

What we really need are loopholes and deductions to companies who pay more to employees than investors. Or to clarify, not necessarily more, but a set percentage.

For example, I'd love to get a tax break for paying my employees more. I'm not near the level of having investors or going public, but if I was, I'd love to have incentives to take care of my employees.

I pay my employees as 1099's because I can't afford to pay the insurance and for any benefits.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Have you heard that old truism, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction? Do you not think that if people in high finance and industry, etc. experience increased costs, they will just pass it on the consumers of there product as a price increase? Thus, it is the little guy, the alleged 99 percent person who will get hurt in the end. Now will one of you brilliant liberals tell me where I am making a mistake in my thinking?
A lot of businesses will cease to exist. They aren't stupid. The reality of "Atlas Shrugged" may be upon us. I expect a lot of "rich" people will find shelters for their money. Many will just retire and sell off their business assets.

They can raise taxes all they want. If there is nothing to tax, then what?

Old 11-10-2012, 06:41 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post

Yeah, marginal tax rate for income above $400,000. In today's dollars, that's about $3,500,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies