Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Look at the map, some counties with 80% Romney approval had 40% welfare collectors. In my state the reddest part of the state, downstate has the highest percentage of welfare. These yahoos in super poor towns whine that Chicago is dead weight. In Chicago we have welfare bums , middle class folks, and rich folks, it's called diversity. In the southern Illinois it's mainly poor and lower middle class. Yeah, Chicago is dead weight.

Freakin morans
As I've already pointed out that doesn't prove anything. For example the state of NY has 19 million residents. The city of NYC has 8 million residents. You could of had every County in NY vote for Romney and they still might not add up to the welfare recipients in NYC that is in a single county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As I've already pointed out that doesn't prove anything. For example the state of NY has 19 million residents. The city of NYC has 8 million residents. You could of had every County in NY vote for Romney and they still might not add up to the welfare recipients in NYC that is in a single county.
The thread is about counties not states, so your argument falls apart. Youre comparing states to cities to counties, at outlandish comparison, apples to oranges

Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
All of the Republicans up here in Massachusetts are from the most educated most well-to-do communities. How do they fit into your idiotic generalization. Never mind, I just answered my own question.
Speaking of idiotic... What is your problem with not understanding averages? Saying "I found an exception to the average" does not negate the fact that the average is still very real and mathematically correct. Frankly, with posts like that you're just displaying your lack of knowledge about the situation.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:59 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGMetroWest View Post
This is how I figure:

US Senate - 2012 Massachusetts Election Results - Brown vs. Warren - Boston.com

Top Five Communities in Massachusetts
Weston: Brown
Dover: Brown
Wayland: Warren
Sherborn: Brown
Boxford: Brown

Bottom Five
Lawrence: Warren
Springfield: Warren
Chelsea: Warren
Holyoke: Warren
North Adams: Warren

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 11-10-2012 at 12:17 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 12:27 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
All you need to know about the poor Romney supports. The guy with his bottom teeth missing does confirm what some posters above state: that the ones receiving welfare, just want to work again.

Shockingly Stupid Republicans: What's the Matter with Mississippi? - YouTube

Old 11-10-2012, 12:28 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Speaking of idiotic... What is your problem with not understanding averages? Saying "I found an exception to the average" does not negate the fact that the average is still very real and mathematically correct. Frankly, with posts like that you're just displaying your lack of knowledge about the situation.
Do you mean these averages?:

Or maybe these inconvenient averages?:

• Election 2012 exit polls: voter turnout by income| Statistic

Maybe its time you stop "Thinking4Yourself".

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 11-10-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 12:36 PM

510 posts, read 430,632 times
Hey OP there is no Leslie County VA. Leslie county is in Kentucky and it's one of the poorest, whitest counties in America.

I'd imagine just keeping the roads paved in a county that averages $22k per household would put them underwater vis a vis federal transfer payments.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times
Right wingers have said several times now that half of the country is dependent on the government and vote for Obama because they want "stuff." The truth is that 49% of American households do receive some sort of government benefit. What they fail to state is that this 49% includes those on social security and Medicare. 35% are receiving some form of government assistance such as TANF (money), SNAP (food stamps) or some form of health insurance. This isn't half of the country and certainly isn't made up solely of Obama voters.

The largest recent food stamp growth has been in red counties. Red states have the largest number of poor people who are receiving government assistance. When this is pointed out, right-wingers are quick to say that it is because of the blacks that live in these states. Either way, this contradicts this myth that Obama voters want handouts and are made up of the 49% receiving government assistance. First of all, many poor people don't vote at all. Secondly, many of the people on OASDI and Medicare voted for Romney. Furthermore many of the people receiving food stamps voted for Romney.

This is insulting and isn't working. There was a stigma and still is one (though not as much) attached to receiving government assistance (excluding social security) and the whole welfare queen thing worked well for Reagan in the 80s, but times have changed. The so-called leeches are on both sides of the poltical spectrum. For whatever reason, the ones on the right think they deserve to use these benefits, but that the ones on the left are lazy, parasites that are gaming the system. Meanwhile, others like myself who work for a living, have a six figure household income, pay taxes and own a home know that this handout thing is not only a lie, it's insulting, a turn off and has gotten very old. There is no way the GOP is ever going to get the black or latino vote again if they don't cut it out.

Republican-Heavy Counties Eat Up Most Food-Stamp Growth - Businessweek

Old 11-10-2012, 12:43 PM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Almost half of all the income generated in Leslie County Virginia is from government programs, yet Romney received almost 90% vote in that county. I'm not denying that people on welfare supported Obama, just illustrating that many voted for Romney. See for yourself

2012 Election Results Map by State - Live Voting Updates - POLITICO.com

The Geography of Government Benefits - Interactive Map - NYTimes.com
To have ant credibility, you will have to break down the "entitlement" you claim they get.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:00 PM

235 posts, read 510,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
This is how I figure:

US Senate - 2012 Massachusetts Election Results - Brown vs. Warren - Boston.com

Top Five Communities in Massachusetts
Weston: Brown
Dover: Brown
Wayland: Warren
Sherborn: Brown
Boxford: Brown

Bottom Five
Lawrence: Warren
Springfield: Warren
Chelsea: Warren
Holyoke: Warren
North Adams: Warren
This thread is about the presidential election, not senator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies