Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 03:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,773,012 times

Advertisements

Monday morning quarterbacking is going full force. Folks are in the midst of all sorts of interpretations of the election and what it says about our national dialogue, demographics, future,etc.

I am curious C-D colleagues, did the outcome of the 2012 change your views on any of your political positions?

I'll jump in the fray at some point, but not yet. I don't want to push the thread discussion in any specific direction. I am open, curious about whatever you want to discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 03:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Didn't change my views. I figured the country had turned in a certain direction and this election proved it.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Monday morning quarterbacking is going full force. Folks are in the midst of all sorts of interpretations of the election and what it says about our national dialogue, demographics, future,etc.

I am curious C-D colleagues, did the outcome of the 2012 change your views on any of your political positions?

I'll jump in the fray at some point, but not yet. I don't want to push the thread discussion in any specific direction. I am open, curious about whatever you want to discuss.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.”

Alexis de Tocqueville

Wasn't news to me.

I just didn't expect this day to come so soon.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.”

Alexis de Tocqueville

Wasn't news to me.

What is going on with this quote? I have read this about a dozen times in the last week.

Since when did we vote to undermine our country? If this is what you learned, fine, but if it is just another cut and paste propaganda quote, we've all got the message!

Old 11-10-2012, 03:46 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,165,963 times
That America is more liberal than I thought it was and that Marijuana will be decriminalized in my lifetime, something I doubted

Old 11-10-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
That America is more liberal than I thought it was and that Marijuana will be decriminalized in my lifetime, something I doubted
Yea, the pot vote surprised me too. It is probably the youth vote kicking in. But it could be the drug cartels too. I know I voted to free the weed here in Oregon because I was sick of the Mexican mafia booby trapping our forests and parks. Seems like we should legalize it and tax it.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,909,461 times

Alexis de Tocqueville

It convinced me that Alexis de Tocqueville was correct. It is a sad day knowing my grandchildren may end up in gulags eating cockroaches and rat soup to survive.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
What is going on with this quote? I have read this about a dozen times in the last week.

Since when did we vote to undermine our country? If this is what you learned, fine, but if it is just another cut and paste propaganda quote, we've all got the message!

It's public domain...

Democracy in America

Mark Levin has a lot to say about Tocqueville's insight, but you wouldn't know about that.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:55 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,165,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It's public domain...

Democracy in America
If you guys know so much about Americans why do you keep on losing elections????

Old 11-10-2012, 03:55 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,963,660 times
People kept sayng the Americans were stupid. I kept denying it. The thing I learned from this election was...... they were telling the truth. I am sad to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies