Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the USA break up into smaller, more homogeneous regions?
We should break up; I listen to partisan leftwing sources. 0 0%
We should break up; I listen to partisan rightwing sources. 0 0%
We should break up; I listen to centrist,moderate sources. 3 8.11%
We should break up; I get my information by other means. 10 27.03%
We should NOT break up; I listen to leftwing sources. 5 13.51%
We should NOT break up; I listen to rightwing sources. 0 0%
We should NOT break up; I listen centrist, moderate sources. 13 35.14%
We should NOT break up; I get my information by other means. 6 16.22%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:10 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times

Advertisements

The big problem with this poll is the wing nuts will all claim to be centrists. When they are, in fact, howling at the moon wing nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The big problem with this poll is the wing nuts will all claim to be centrists. When they are, in fact, howling at the moon wing nuts.
No comment....

Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So should the nation split into smaller nations every time there is an election and a sizable portion of voters get disgruntled? It sounds rather ridiculous.

This is what I see too. The desire for secession is the symptom. Intolerance is the disease. It won't go away by breaking up the country.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It may be time to consider breaking up. Nearly half of all voters did not vote for obama. If half of your people are going to be unhappy no matter what you do, maybe it's time to split in two. Then each half can be happy with their choices. I can't see trying to maintain the union when half of your people are going to be miserable no matter what you choose. It would be better to split up and offer a choice as to where to live. Then people could vote with their feet and feel good about their choices. It's clear we have different goals and they are too disperate to reconcile.

Oh, and my prediction is that this poll will be split. America is CLEARLY divided almost in half right now. The question is who gets which states. Some of us will have to move. If you're red in a blue state or blue in a red state, you'll need a u-haul. On the bright side, all of this moving could just move some real estate and get the housing market moving again.
I am in total agreement. IMO the majority of politicians on either side of the political aisle are full of it and only looking out for themselves in financial preparation of when they leave office.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
I don't think we need to go all the way with secession. The republic could be reworked to satisfy most. We would need a new constitution, but the end result would look something like this:

1. A full restoration of the originally envisioned constitutional limits on federal power - the Tenth Amendment, with no additional amendments. All jurisprudence based on amendments 11 through 26 would be repealed.

2. Consolidation of small states, by region and culture, into four to six "provinces" with their own constitutions.

These provinces would have the power to do what the federal government would not, if they so chose. Most likely there would be at least two provinces to satisfy the majority of Americans politically.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This is what I see too. The desire for secession is the symptom. Intolerance is the disease. It won't go away by breaking up the country.
Very well stated. Then, once they find they aren't getting their way (and there are people with beliefs they don't like) in their new republic or state or province or canton or whatever they'd choose to call it, they'll still be unhappy and complaining about everyone else.

Predicting who would want secession is about as difficult as predicting that salmon will head up river to spawn.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times
Where's the "We should break up, I don't listen" option?

Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Intolerance doesn't do it justice. Everyone is intolerant of some things. The federal government is increasingly intolerant of large groups of Americans, especially social and religious conservatives. The issue is where the lines of tolerance should be drawn.

You really don't have a functional country when its citizens don't even agree on who's human and who isn't, for Pete's sake, or what marriage is and isn't, or whether murder should be legalized, or even whether truth exists apart from the state.

The political realm in a democratic society requires a minimum level of moral capital and cultural common ground. We don't have that anymore.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:50 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
The perhaps you need to make an appointment with an eye-doctor....so you can see reality.

Symptomatically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So should the nation split into smaller nations every time there is an election and a sizable portion of voters get disgruntled? It sounds rather ridiculous.
That's how propaganda and disinformation artists like to frame it.

Secession is something that has been discussed with ever-growing frequency for about 20 years now. There were, and still are, secessionist movements in some of the New England States, and then Texans have been pondering the issue for quite a while as well.

It's a matter of economics, not intolerance, although I don't doubt that there are some idiots who cannot figure it out.

It's like being married to an high-maintenance woman who is constantly running up your credit cards and draining your bank accounts. The smart guys eventually get tired of the stupidity and file for divorce --- the dumb ones don't know when to quit.

So, what is it that you all fear? Why do you keep avoiding the real issue?

Why do you not want more wealth, and a better quality of life for your family, your children and grand-children, your neighbors, your community and you?

Questioning...

Mircea

Old 11-12-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The perhaps you need to make an appointment with an eye-doctor....so you can see reality.

Symptomatically...

Mircea

That's how propaganda and disinformation artists like to frame it.

Secession is something that has been discussed with ever-growing frequency for about 20 years now. There were, and still are, secessionist movements in some of the New England States, and then Texans have been pondering the issue for quite a while as well.

It's a matter of economics, not intolerance, although I don't doubt that there are some idiots who cannot figure it out.

It's like being married to an high-maintenance woman who is constantly running up your credit cards and draining your bank accounts. The smart guys eventually get tired of the stupidity and file for divorce --- the dumb ones don't know when to quit.

So, what is it that you all fear? Why do you keep avoiding the real issue?

Why do you not want more wealth, and a better quality of life for your family, your children and grand-children, your neighbors, your community and you?

Questioning...

Mircea
Although I do favor some kind of modified, legal, peaceful secession/independence for certain states or regions, I don't think the seceding entities are likely to be more economically prosperous than they already are. Although there would be more small businesses and entrepreneurs, and therefore more economic independence for more people, average incomes would probably be lower.

It's undeniable that higher intelligence and education correlates with political liberalism in this country. It also correlates with economic success. The states most likely to secede are not on that end of the bell curve.

And that's perfectly OK with me. Intelligence is overrated. So is wealth and prosperity. Give me truth, beauty and goodness over intelligence any day.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 11-12-2012 at 03:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies