Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 07:52 PM

779 posts, read 537,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
No one said anything about intellectual superiority. Firstly, I'm an idiot. Secondly, just because logic is limiting it doesn't follow that people who use it are limited. Not many, if not no one, is/are strictly logical, anyway.

And thirdly, I'll just wait for the sky to start falling then.

Hopefully people never move to "legalize all drugs". Oh, wait....

Doesn't matter in the end, I guess. People make their own decisions, and I'll smack my kids if they choose to indulge as a lifestyle.

So, hopefully, society's god awful decisions won't affect me.
You were regaling us with reasons for your supposed position of intellectual and moral superiority. But let's not derail any further. Suffice it to say, I am not for hard drugs being legalized; but, marijuana is a no-brainer. You, on the other hand, are embracing a false moral equivalency of the highest order. You're really just coming off as the father-figure who says, "Because I told you so!", without any actual facts to back up your position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where is W? View Post
Everything will be legal eventually in 30, 50 or 200 years. Most drugs are harmful including alcohol, but pot is definitely worse than alcohol.

If pot is legalized at the federal level, cocaine or ecstasy will be next.

Good! Then we can take responsibility for our own decisions.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Hopefully not.

If so, I'll leave. From experience, I don't want my kids growing up in a culture that doesn't prohibit drugs.

Hopefully, it doesn't get to that point...or I die first...so it's no longer my problem.

I'm just sad things are going the way they are.
What's sad is that Big Government is growing in size and power and telling us more and more how we must live our lives.

I don't want my kids growing up in a culture that makes decisions for them. I want my kids to choose their own life. I want my kids to choose what they will eat, drink and smoke.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
"I've got nothing"

I was interested to see if there was any depth (philosophical, ethical, or otherwise) to what you were awkwardly driving at, but yeah, you're just grasping (or alternatively, trolling). You'd think I'd learn with this board.
Idk, I'd be interested in conversing but I've learnt not to waste my time with people who seemingly aren't interested in anything other than mocking you thus giving themselves an intellectual boost of sorts. As it stands, that's my characterization of you.

You see, I've actually learnt with these boards.

What do you want from me?

You already know my position. I have nothing else to offer, excepts maybe an explaination, though I've covered that as well.

Just putting my thoughts out there...

Old 11-11-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
My intuition leads me to the conclusion that recreational drug use of any kind is a waste of the human effort. I'm not completely against wasting life, but I am for limiting wastage as much as possible.

So do you also oppose other forms of recreation? Do you oppose eating ice cream since it's a recreation food and a waste of human effort? Do you only do things that are necessary for life?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:59 PM

779 posts, read 537,424 times
Quote:
Idk, I'd be interested in conversing but I've learnt not to waste my time with people who seemingly aren't interested in anything other than mocking you thus giving themselves an intellectual boost of sorts. As it stands, that's my characterization of you.

You see, I've actually learnt with these boards.

What do you want from me?

You already know my position. I have nothing else to offer, excepts maybe an explaination, though I've covered that as well.

Just putting my thoughts out there...
Creating a thread is an open-ended invitation for other members here to respond. Creating a thread doesn't come with moderator powers. Relax.

If you want a venue where people cannot reply then start a blog and shut comments off.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
I am of the "put whatever you want in your own body" philosophy "as long as you do no harm to others". Prohibition was a FAIL. The "war on drugs" is a total FAIL. Eliminate the "forbidden fruit" mentality, eliminate the black market, let the oh so reliable FDA regulate heroin and cocaine so that it is not cut with dangerous substances or laced with arsenic, and as I said, make people get a prescription. For God's sake, I have to sign a book for DHS if I want to buy Sudafed! Like a middle-aged Mom with a bad cold is going to run home and crank up her meth lab.
Correct. Adults should be able to make those decisions for themselves.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,044 times
Quote:
If you're not interested...simply stop reading.

I'd like to think my morality has a large degree of objectivity to it, if only in so far as the group(s) of people with whom I concern myself are concerned.

A lot of what you said wasn't my intention, though I won't elaborate since it's largely stuff you wouldn't be interested in anyway, as per your admission. So, I'll give it up.

Have a good night. Lolol
History shows that morality is purely subjective. So far you have brought no objectivity to your argument. What you're basically saying is that your view of morality is determined by your social circle. No matter if your view can be logically shown to be immoral as long as your circle of friends view your opinion as a moral one you won't think of changing.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Hopefully people never move to "legalize all drugs". Oh, wait....

Doesn't matter in the end, I guess. People make their own decisions, and I'll smack my kids if they choose to indulge as a lifestyle.

So, hopefully, society's god awful decisions won't affect me.
Hopefully, people will move to "legalize all drugs".

Yes, people make their own decisions and I would hope I have educated my kids enough so that they make intelligent choices for themselves rather than rely on Government to tell them how to live their lives.

And society's decisions regarding drugs should have no impact on my decisions.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
Personally, I like to think laws are grounded in morality...
So weed is immoral? Upon what do you base that conclusion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies