Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm sorry Nomander but I completely disagree. IMO, one of the benefits of a democracy is solving disagreements without revolt or secession. If more Americans would use the system as it was designed, there should be no reason for such drastic, violent measures.

This country is not a democracy. It is a Republic. It is why we have a constitution. If this country was a democracy, it wouldn't need a constitution. It would just make everything up as it went along.

A constitution is necessary to prevent the abuses of democracy, by limiting the authority of government to the areas deemed absolutely necessary. And the scope of the authority of government cannot be defined by a simple majority of the people, otherwise there is no point to a constitution, the scope of the authority of government must require far more than a majority of the people to agree. This authority must be derived nearly unanimously from the people.

As an example, an amendment to the constitution require 2/3rds of both houses of Congress, and 3/4ths of the states to agree.

The problem with democracy, is that all it takes is 51% of the people to want something, and the other 49% are screwed. And in a Republic of individual states, each state has their own regional interests. One of the 50 states could overwhelmingly be opposed to something(say 90% of the people of that state), and another state or a group of states with separate interests can completely overrule the will of that state.

As a hypothetical example, lets pretend you had one state whose economy was based entirely on oil, and two other states who had no oil. In that case, the two states with no oil might attempt to regulate the production of oil, and tax it at high rates, because that would be in their interest, while the state with all the oil might want no regulations and no taxes, because that would be its interest.

That is effectively how democracy works in this country. It is one state or group constantly trying to screw over other states/groups for their own benefit.

I am personally for returning this nation to the limited constitutional republic it was intended to be. And that means the minority must stand up to the majority and say, we still have rights, you can't just do anything you want because you got 51% of the vote to our 49%. If you intend to take away our rights that were always intended by the framers of the constitution, we will have to find an alternative to this union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 04:06 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
I don't get how the party of Blacks, Latinos, White single women, Asians and gays is somehow racist and misogynist ..
They do a wonderful job fooling the people. And if the Dems really are the "party of Blacks", they are racist by definition.

Quote:
So while I am a Libertarian as I disagree with the way the Democrats mis-manage the welfare state and the insane amount of government spending and paternalism, I am certainly happier with them than I am with RWNJs.
I hate RWNJs almost as much as I hate LWNJs.

Quote:
Isn't formenting revolution in your own nation an act of treason?
Yes. But what does that have to do with requesting permission to secede?

Quote:
What if I pulled a Castro and made a little army and stormed DC and took over the government to install my own dictatorship, would you support that or would I be a traitor and be executed for my actions?
Yes, you would be a traitor. But the topic of the OP is secession, not revolution. They are not even related.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They do a wonderful job fooling the people.
What people would they be fooling other than old white men who aren't exactly their friends to begin with.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:18 PM

990 posts, read 939,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They do a wonderful job fooling the people. And if the Dems really are the "party of Blacks", they are racist by definition.

Yeah, they are racist because the majority of the population of all races other than white people wish to be a part of their party...
Where do you people come up with this idiocy?

Quote:
I hate RWNJs almost as much as I hate LWNJs.
I prefer the LWNJs because you know they don't have guns so their insanity wont result in murders...
Plus, they don't start wars with other countries based on faulty intelligence.

Quote:
Yes. But what does that have to do with requesting permission to secede?
It's the same thing.

Quote:
Yes, you would be a traitor. But the topic of the OP is secession, not revolution. They are not even related.
So the American Revolution was merely the "American Secession"?
After all, it's the same thing. Hence the "TEA Party" name.

The people who sign are traitors and the people who agree with the petitions are unAmerican. I served this country to protect and defend it, not to have idiots petition to break it up.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that one may only be pro-Empire or pro-secessionist? I respectfully disagree.
It's ironic that the Left rails against Imperialism, yet benefits from it and makes no attempt to express dissatisfaction through any means.

Quote:
Secession-ism is not making a choice for the individual, it's making a choice for the whole state.
Historically, that has never been the case.

For revolutions, you will never have more than 10% of the support of the population. In secessionist movements, it depends on the exact nature (reason) for secession. Where irredentism is the over-riding factor, you'll likely find near 90% support. And the 10% who oppose? Most likely the "chosen few" (often a minority group -- an ethnic group or religious group) who are part of the status quo and would lose whatever benefits or privileges they were receiving.

For colonial secession, it depends on the relationship between the colonists and the colonial power. In the US, ~40% of colonists were Tories and supported the king, ~35% of colonists didn't give a damn --- because their lot in life would not change or be affected regardless of the political situation. ~25% supported secession, but only 10% of the entire population were actively involved with either the Continental Army or the Continental Congress.

The point is that a small minority typically chooses for the majority. It's just the nature of people. People are basically "not good" and very weak. Everyone wants money; but few are willing to work hard for it. Everyone wants freedom; but few are willing to risk their lives for it.

For any revolution or secession movement in the US, don't expect near 100% support; don't even expect a simple majority (51%) to support it; and don't expect more than 10% to actively participate (actively meaning both active and passive support).

Quote:
This sounds like such a fairy tale. You know which countries would be interested in helping your Awesome New Country?
Nearly all of them....sooner or later.

Quote:
How are you going to pay your military and for the weapons needed?
Why would they need a military?

You think Vermont (a Blue State that has had a secessionist movement for a while) is going to have 6 aircraft carriers plying the oceans blue?

Or did you mean a military and weapons in order to secede?

You still don't need either.

I guarandamntee you, if a State seceded tomorrow, the only thing that would happen is the federal government would issue an harshly worded statement....and that would be the end of it.

The national government pretending to be a federal government (which is one of the reasons people support secession) will not send troops; it doesn't have the troops to send; the rest of the world would condemn the US for using military force; it took the US military 7 years fumbling around the Sunni Triangle in Iraq -- the size of Illinois -- and it didn't even do a good job; the US is now 11 years in Afghanistan and getting its ass kicked.

I don't expect you to understand asymmetrical warfare, and in fact, in an ideal world, you would know nothing of it, but I do, and let's just say any attempt to use military force would be a total disaster for the US.

So much so, that your only concern will be from where you will be getting your next meal.

Quote:
Why do you assume an unstable, new nation's currency would be stronger than the dollar or any other currency?
No one makes that assumption, however the fact remains that many US States have a GDP larger than European States.

In fact, there are US cities that have a GDP larger than European countries.

Quote:
Who says those other states will (a) break away with Texas and (b) be on Texas's side?
No intelligent person that I know is saying that. The purpose of seceding would be to gain total control of the destiny of your people so that your future (politically, economically and globally) is improved and enhanced for them and their children, and grand-children.

Suggesting...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Also, I'm not sure why you are implying I have "grand visions" of the confederacy returning.....
Yes, you are sure.

You know full well that when buried in facts and unable to create a cogent coherent counter-argument, the Left degenerates into screaming "racism," or "slavery."

Here's a great example. Someone will say that 50,000 people die in the US because they have no "health insurance." So you counter that with the fact that the World Health Organization says 25,000 people die each year in the UK, because the government rations health care by denying treatment, delaying treatment or dilution treatment.

So then you bury them with additional facts...

25,000 / 62,000,000 * 100,000 = 40.3 deaths per 100,000 in the UK
50,000 / 314,000,000 * 100,000 = 16 deaths per 100,000 in the US

...proving that people with UHC in Britain are 2 1/2 times more likely to die than than Americans who don't have UHC...and worse....the government is killing those people in the UK, and they're unable to respond, except by frothing at the mouth and employing the words racist, racism, KKK, Nazi, people-hater or something like that.

It's the same thing anytime anyone mentions States Rights. The left always steers the argument to the Old South, Slavery etc etc etc, because they don't have a valid argument to oppose.

Implying...

Mircea

Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
I support it. Unfortunately, most mainstream Americans don't.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
Those states that want to secede, behavior like this is very similar to the states that went Blue during the 2004 election.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Those states that want to secede, behavior like this is very similar to the states that went Blue during the 2004 election.
In what way? The red states were mostly slave states during the civil war.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,692 times
Just saw Lincoln yesterday and the idea of an anonymous online petition fomenting secession makes me laugh.

The best part is people from one state petitioning for another states to secede.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies