Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
IMO, it's an opportunity for real men to get out of the house and away from wives-girlfriends, and to show them how much of a macho man they can be with their guns and arrows.
And poisoned blow darts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 07:51 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I have made no value judgments here. I understand the benefits of hunting. I am asking why people enjoy doing it. No answers to that question yet.
Getting out in the woods, spending time with friends and family, getting away from your spouse, drinking beer, telling BS tales...

Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And poisoned blow darts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Getting out in the woods, spending time with friends and family, getting away from your spouse, drinking beer, telling BS tales...
I'm glad I broke the ice! LOL

Old 11-12-2012, 10:46 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,059 times
I do it for two reasons, I like the way they taste with mashed potatoes and gravy.
and I like the sound of the bullet hitting them in the head and splattering their brains all over the trees...

Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
I have no idea. The question is why do they enjoy it? I understand some may do it for necessity. I am talking about the people who do it because they enjoy it. What is there to enjoy?
Why do you enjoy activities that you take part in? Because you do. They are enjoyable to you based on your preferences. No big mystery here. People enjoy doing what they enjoy doing. They don't need to explain their choices to anyone.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I'd like to ask why people like to build homes in rural areas and then complain when deer eat their shrubs and garden plants.
I'd also like to cut the head off any deer I hit with my car and throw it through a new houses window. I've seen herds of deer running through Valley Forge, no wonder they stage mass shootings of them. Deer get hit by cars because they're looking to get to food or water and have to navigate through yards and across roads many times.
I used to hunt. I may again someday. The meat is good although its not free like some think. You'll probably have to pay to have it processed and theres the licenses, cost of the rifle, ammunition, equipment, etc.
Hunters are the least of deers problems. Its loss of habitat from land development.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
I don't get it. I know people who got up early this morning to go and sit in a deer stand in the cold waiting for a deer to come close enough for them to shoot. Why?
Mankind is an omnivorous, predator species. I imagine there's a base thrill that comes with killing a food animal.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I can't speak for people who sit in a deer stand. I stalk. I do crouch in bushes and brush a lot, though.

For what it is worth, I take no pleasure in the actual killing of the animal, but being in the outdoors practicing the most human pasttime of providing food for my family which is one of humanity's most enduring activities over thousands and thousands of years is fun.

I also hunt with a selfbow I made myself in the style of a 9,000 year old Danish bow known as a Holmegaard, and arrows I make and fletch myself. I use modern broadheads for legal reasons, but would use flint (I also flintknap. Why would someone make shapes out of rocks for fun?!?!) if I could.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 11-12-2012 at 12:28 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Quote:
I don't get it. I know people who got up early this morning to go and sit in a deer stand in the cold waiting for a deer to come close enough for them to shoot. Why?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nY1KkgrusE So that we have fewer of these?

Old 11-12-2012, 12:17 PM

753 posts, read 727,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Mankind is an omnivorous, predator species. I imagine there's a base thrill that comes with killing a food animal.
I think this is an underrated observation.

Hunting is an adventure of sorts. It doesn't interest me, but other adventures (of sorts) do, such as trekking deep into the backcountry. Both involve leaving much of the modern world behind and touching, just a little, of the way our prehistoric ancestors lived their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies