Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Why? 15 of these districts shut out McCain in 2008 as well. And I've clicked on about 20 others, and they all gave McCain 5 or fewer votes. Weather was crap that day, not to mention Romney is a Bishop in a church that until recently considered black skin a mark of sin. It makes perfect sense to me that in 40 or so very small, almost entirely black districts in North and West Philly, Romney would get 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 fewer votes than McCain did 4 years ago.
Another point that needs mentioning, the Republican voter suppression attempt really, really pissed off a lot of African Americans here in Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Why? 15 of these districts shut out McCain in 2008 as well. And I've clicked on about 20 others, and they all gave McCain 5 or fewer votes. Weather was crap that day, not to mention Romney is a Bishop in a church that until recently considered black skin a mark of sin. It makes perfect sense to me that in 40 or so very small, almost entirely black districts in North and West Philly, Romney would get 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 fewer votes than McCain did 4 years ago.

It ain't like I expect Romney to get much more than one vote out of one or two hundred. Take the one vote out of 200 scenario. Once you get past a 1000 votes with no votes for Romney something starts smelling funny. By the time you get to 19000 votes there needs to be a darn good explanation. I really don't think every single McCain voter would have switched their vote, moved, died or not voted. The odds seem very long. I mean it seems like there would be at least a few black homophobes who would vote for Romney on that issue alone. In statistics fifty votes in a fifty/ fifty probability scenario means nothing. If a district that was tied in 2008 went 55/45 this time around that is within the norm.. If every single Republican vote disappears from a sample that had 50 or a 100 Republican votes before that is cause for concern.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It ain't like I expect Romney to get much more than one vote out of one or two hundred. Take the one vote out of 200 scenario. Once you get past a 1000 votes with no votes for Romney something starts smelling funny. By the time you get to 19000 votes there needs to be a darn good explanation.
Why are you conflating these districts into 1? We're talking about 59 discrete, different districts.

Quote:
I really don't think every single McCain voter would have switched their vote, moved, died or not voted. The odds seem very long.
It's extremely possible that every single McCain voter in any one of these districts would have switched their vote, moved, died, or not voted. The odds are not long at all. We're talking about 1 or 2 or 5 votes.

Quote:
In statistics fifty votes in a fifty/ fifty probability scenario means nothing. If a district that was tied in 2008 went 55/45 this time around that is within the norm.. If every single Republican vote disappears from a sample that had 50 or a 100 Republican votes before that is cause for concern.
We're not talking about samples of 50 or 100 Republican votes. We're talking about 1 or 2 or 5.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 PM

781 posts, read 1,195,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Once again, these are not district, they are division within districts most of which are two or three blocks in size.
Calm down with your smack, I'm not talking about divisions in reference to the analogy regarding voter behavior, allegiance, and 'voters thinking alike.' Historically, there have been congressional districts in Texas (and other Red states) that have always swung for the Republican candidate. It's the same type of behavior. You can't call out the Philly division case of African Americans overwhelmingly voting Democrat, without looking at similar voter behavior of Whites in other states leaning overwhelmingly (and historically) to the Republican side.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,903,542 times
So does anyone actually still believe the OP's BS or is it just people know it's BS yet are still butthurt over the election results?

Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 PM

27,118 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Quote-
"Upon hearing the numbers, Steve Miskin, a spokesman for Republicans in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, brought up his party's voter-identification initiative - which was held off for this election - and said, "We believe we need to continue ensuring the integrity of the ballot."

The absence of a voter-ID law, however, would not stop anyone from voting for a Republican candidate."

Nor a Democrstic candidate either.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
Its insane to think that of all those thousands of votes that not one contrarian would toss in a vote for Romney. Either the vote retabulator program wasn't set properly or somebody locally who recast the ballots is on the stupid side.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:05 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
North Phila and West Phila are almost exclusively Black and Hispanic.

North Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

West Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also people in these areas tend to live near others of the same race, so I'm sure there were polling locations which had 100% all Black or 100% all Hispanic.
So are you saying black people are incapable of thinking for themselves and automatically go with skin color?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,285,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
So does anyone actually still believe the OP's BS or is it just people know it's BS yet are still butthurt over the election results?
The OP predicted that Romney would win in a landslide.

Nuff said.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,439,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Another point that needs mentioning, the Republican voter suppression attempt really, really pissed off a lot of African Americans here in Philly.
I had to show my ID to vote in ID in a very conservative republican area who is being suppressed against voting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies