Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 03:20 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,802,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That worked out well in 2008 didn't it ?
Subprime mortgages (rated junk) sliced and diced and repackaged and a AAA rating slapped on them and then sold to unsuspecting investors. Then we had the derivative and commodity issues.
It did in 2003-2007... remember the economic greatness y'all were celebrating then, and missing since Obama took office? That is what you get with deregulation, tax cuts, interest rate cuts (the "economic stimuli since 2001), deregulation of major financial institutions to lend as they please... and wanted more of the same with Romney as the puppet.

But, I surely hope Obama doesn't make the same mistakes that Clinton did in last couple of years of his second term... accepting republicanism. Instead, he needs to work to re-instate what was in Glass-Steagall, and reform capital gains tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 03:46 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Instead, he needs to work to re-instate what was in Glass-Steagall, and reform capital gains tax.
Good luck with that

Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,500,715 times
Quote:
Subprime mortgages (rated junk) sliced and diced and repackaged and a AAA rating slapped on them and then sold to unsuspecting investors. Then we had the derivative and commodity issues.

We had regulators, several agencies in fact and regulation failed.
Now we have regulators for the regulators who regulate the stock market.

Once corruption, apathy and self-oversight creep into a system that regulation means nothing.
We'd be in a much worse place without regulation. Capitalism's sole purpose is to maximize profits--and that's fine, but profit should not be the--priority--of a nation.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:04 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
but profit should not be the--priority--of a nation.
It's those profits that help expand businesses that help create more jobs. No profit > no expansion> no jobs > no tax base. It's the rich investors and businesses owners. Poor people don't create jobs.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
It's those profits that help expand businesses that help create more jobs. No profit > no expansion> no jobs > no tax base. It's the rich investors and businesses owners. Poor people don't create jobs.
Nice strawman.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:21 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,941,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
What the hell are you talking about?

I say this:

and you respond with the above? Is something wrong with you?
Let me explain it to you differently. What you and I have is a basic philosophical difference. You believe that there is no room for govt. in a person's life other than to keep govt out of people's lives. I disagree. You and I are not likely to find any middle ground. You continue to live in your cave in the wilderness and I will continue to live in a city surrounded by people.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,944,426 times
Quote:

We had regulators, several agencies in fact and regulation failed.
Now we have regulators for the regulators who regulate the stock market.

Once corruption, apathy and self-oversight creep into a system that regulation means nothing.

Not only that, but they attempt to regulate based on what has not happened. This places needless burden on those that don't have the intent or focus of doing harm.

They call me the idealist, yet their arguments are dripping with such utopian belief that government will be their shining savior. They refuse to accept the fact that no domination of power is to be trusted.

Personally, I know people will get the short end of the stick at times. That is why we have judicial review. They don't dictate to someone what they can and can't do because they have this slippery slope belief that if their dictations are not followed, it will end up in disaster. They leave it to people to decide and function freely, then... if such occurrence happens, only then do we act with such judgement.

The system they desire treats all business as evil, all desire to succeed as selfish. They are self loathing communist sympathizers and if we appeal to their dogma, they will enslave us all under their ignorance.

Though as history shows us, these folks refuse to accept that anything other than a complete submission to their ideal is possible and they will rape and pillage free society forcing it to such submission. Because of such, nobody will mourn them when they hang for their deeds.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,944,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Let me explain it to you differently. What you and I have is a basic philosophical difference. You believe that there is no room for govt. in a person's life other than to keep govt out of people's lives. I disagree. You and I are not likely to find any middle ground. You continue to live in your cave in the wilderness and I will continue to live in a city surrounded by people.
I think there is a need for government, but in extreme limited form, only to serve as a means of national protection and that of disputes between the states. You think that government should dictate, rule with an iron fist to "balance" society taking and giving as it chooses what is best.

My belief does not infringe on you, but yours is a tyranny to mine. I am not an offender to you, you are the offender. You are an invader that seeks to force submission to your belief.

You will enslave, murder and rape the people to achieve your goals as history has shown us over and over.

You are a tyrant, make no mistake.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:50 PM

Dear Nomander,

Have a nice day.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:56 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,128,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I can't speak for every progressive out there, but I can speak for many. Here is what they are looking for out of govt.

1. Equal opportunity and not equal results.
2. They want a safety net and not a safety pad. They are willing to get on the high wire, but they need a net incase they fall so they can get up there again.
3. They want an America where there are jobs that provide living wages.
4. They want an America that is not toxic.
5. They want Universal Health Care or Single payer healthcare.
6. They really don't care if you say happy holidays or Merry Christmas.

This is the progressive agenda as I understand it.
They want their ideology and their ideas of how life should be lived, to be forced on the entire nation through the power of government. Plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies