Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Households with elderly and/or disabled recieve special consideration.

Households with able-bodied 16-60 year olds without dependent children, elderly or disabled have a relatively short life on SNAP.

The U.S. feeds qualifying children regardless of their parent's IQ.
WIC should be extended to where only staples are allowed for families, and the rest can be purchased with their own money. As a struggling student with a mountain of debt, I tire of seeing half the food stamp holders buying 90% junk food, and the other half buying ribeyes and sushi. They can buy that **** on their own dime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 08:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post

I still don't understand why the state is cutting food stamp aid before free cell phone service. It looks like it is tied to a reduction in costs. They should still be able to trade their free cell phone for food.
The NFP Universal Services Admin. Corp, created in 1997 administers the program which is funded through a phone tax that does not pass through the federal government.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
If they can't afford it then they can't afford it. That said, in hard times both unemployment and food stamps go up to compensate for the poorest but the economy is on the mend now so people should be able to get a job if they search.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,736 times
I used to work with alot of Mexicans that told me that they got married in Mexico and would have their wives claim that they were single mothers without income( here in the USA) so they could qualify and collect Social services for their families.

Recent Legal immigrants and definitely Illegal Aliens shouldn't get squat. What people don't realize is that when Illegals have an Anchor baby the Anchor baby qualifies for aid as an "instant citizen".

And since an infant can't cash or spend an aid check his/her criminal Illegal parents benefit by parasiting off the US taxpayers.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:05 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
I used to work with alot of Mexicans that told me that they got married in Mexico and would have their wives claim that they were single mothers without income( here in the USA) so they could qualify and collect Social services for their families.

Recent Legal immigrants and definitely Illegal Aliens shouldn't get squat. What people don't realize is that when Illegals have an Anchor baby the Anchor baby qualifies for aid as an "instant citizen".

And since an infant can't cash or spend an aid check his/her criminal Illegal parents benefit by parasiting off the US taxpayers.
It's not just illegals, a lot of people don't marry and have a live-in boyfriend or girlfriend and claim they are single parents.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
WIC should be extended to where only staples are allowed for families, and the rest can be purchased with their own money. As a struggling student with a mountain of debt, I tire of seeing half the food stamp holders buying 90% junk food, and the other half buying ribeyes and sushi. They can buy that **** on their own dime.
WIC provides Federal grants to States for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk.

WIC provides milk and nutritional food packages to qualifying mothers.

WIC and SNAP are two different programs.

I am not sure how consumers could know who is using SNAP vs. a debit or credit card to pay for their purchases, unless they are in the user's face.

Nonetheless, be aware that junk food manufacturers have long standing lobbies in Washington to ensure that Congress acts in their best interests.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I don't have a problem with this. We have to make cuts everywhere.

[easy for me to say, though, as I'm not on food stamp aid...]
Well -- those of us who pay taxes are going to get smacked very hard --- why should those who don't contribute think everything should go on wonderfully for them when the rest of us have to do some belt tightening.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Ohioans’ food stamp aid to be reduced Benefit to fall $50 a month starting in January

Ohio families receiving food stamps could get an unwelcome surprise come January: $50 less every month in assistance.

For the 869,000 households enrolled in the program for the poorest Ohioans, that could amount to about $520 million annually out of the grocery budgets.

Is what the freeple voted for?
Whoa, whoa, whoa - isn't this what YOU wanted? You should be really happy right now - there goes a cut in spending for your fellow Republicans. I hope they don't get too hungry.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa - isn't this what YOU wanted? You should be really happy right now - there goes a cut in spending for your fellow Republicans. I hope they don't get too hungry.
Ohio's votes went to Obama. That would be your fellow Democrats.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post

What people don't realize is that when Illegals have an Anchor baby the Anchor baby qualifies for aid as an "instant citizen".
That would be the 14th amendment enacted in 1868, ( 93 years before Obama was born).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies