Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:38 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,044,537 times

Advertisements

I don't think the party is dead, nor do I think it will get stronger. Over the past few decades; The Republican Party has pandered to corporate greed, anti-intellectualism, religious intolerance, and an assortment of irrational bigotries. If the party wants to regain some level of relevance, it will need to undergo a sea change, and exorcise itself of a significant number of its base supporters. That's a daunting task for a large political organization. The best thing that could happen to the Republicans would be for those those cancerous elements to defect and form their own right-wing fascist party. Were that to happen, The Republican Party would return to being a center-right party within the confines of the American political structure.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:44 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,288,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
President Obama being the first president to win re-election despite a horrendous economy is clearly a crushing blow to the Republican party. It is a clear signal that they do not currently have what it takes to win elections in this country. Will this election be the end of the GOP? Will the party split up into a number of smaller fractions? Or will they figure out how to emerge stronger than ever, with a realigining midterm election reminiscent of 1994?
Predictions about the future are little more than wishful thinking.

Look at the Republican party in the state of California, a state that use to vote for Republican Presidents.

The republicans despite the demographic changes have done very little to appeal to any voters outside of their base.

They put short term pyrrhic victories over their long term viability. I can easily see the national Republican party follow the same path.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 PM

38,637 posts, read 26,330,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Agreed. As long as the Republican Party supports everything the Dem Party does (Big Government, Greece-level debt, dollar devaluation, fiscal irresponsibility, Free Trade, etc.) it is NOT going to win; you can't out-liberal a liberal. Regressive social intolerance and anti-choice policies due to misguided religion-pandering will STOP people from voting Repub even when they saw the party as the lesser of two economic evils, as it did in this election.

A Republican Party that actually WOULD shrink Big Government would have huge support, but we know thanks to Reagan and now Romney that our already-oversized military would just grow to offset other reductions. What tax reductions we are given will soon be taken away, since Big Government continued growing and simply borrowed the money--which we must now pay back with interest. There is only ONE way to reduce taxes, and that is to shrink government. By not having the option of voting for a party that will reduce government, we are prevented from voting for less taxes in the long run. It's a staged game where the will of the American People is totally circumvented.

The Republican Party will NOT change because it does NOT WANT TO WIN elections. The people in charge are Big Government "Republicrats" who have created the artificial 50-50 split by mixing philosophies, creating totally inconsistent platforms. The Republican Party, which philosophically wants LESS government intrusion in our lives, is anti-choice and wants government sitting between a woman and her doctor? It's pathetically obvious that the goal of politics in America is to PREVENT Americans from electing someone who will shrink Big Government. Why else the rabid media campaign that totally blacklisted Ron Paul, when audiences gave him much more applause than the Republicrat candidates every time he spoke?

We won't see a change because Big Government Republicrats WANT a 50-50 split that precludes ANY chance of change in Washington, and the majority of citizens that want major reform in Washington are POWERLESS. This Empire is determined to go out in the style of every empire, waging wars and creating bigger and bigger government until the overspending and debt and overregulation prove too much for the shrinking working class.

In 1980, Reagan made no secret of his intention to spend money to rebuild the military or his position on abortion. The voters elected him in a landslide because he didn't mix words and no one had to wonder who he really was. The Republican Party of Ronald Reagan stood for personal responsibility and individual freedom. What you are proposing is that we keep the freedom and throw away personal responsibility.

"He remembers seeing a late abortion performed during his residency, years before Roe v. Wade, and he maintains it left an impression on him. 'It was pretty dramatic for me,' he says, 'to see a two-and-a-half-pound baby taken out crying and breathing and put in a bucket.”'

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/22/ma...ewanted=3&_r=0

No one wants to get between a woman and her doctor...as if something would be gained by doing so. I want to get between an innocent baby and his or her executioner. If the defense of children waiting to be born means Democrats will win every single election from now on, so be it. If America is so selfish, mean spirited and callous that the lives of the most vulnerable among us no longer matter, then America can rot. I'll sit back and watch as justice is served.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,291,819 times
they will make a come back when the dems policies prove false and dangerous.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,480,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
In 1980, Reagan made no secret of his intention to spend money to rebuild the military or his position on abortion. The voters elected him in a landslide because he didn't mix words and no one had to wonder who he really was. The Republican Party of Ronald Reagan stood for personal responsibility and individual freedom. What you are proposing is that we keep the freedom and throw away personal responsibility.

"He remembers seeing a late abortion performed during his residency, years before Roe v. Wade, and he maintains it left an impression on him. 'It was pretty dramatic for me,' he says, 'to see a two-and-a-half-pound baby taken out crying and breathing and put in a bucket.”'

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/22/ma...ewanted=3&_r=0

No one wants to get between a woman and her doctor...as if something would be gained by doing so. I want to get between an innocent baby and his or her executioner. If the defense of children waiting to be born means Democrats will win every single election from now on, so be it. If America is so selfish, mean spirited and callous that the lives of the most vulnerable among us no longer matter, then America can rot. I'll sit back and watch as justice is served.
This is what I hear: My party lost and I do not have the emotional maturity to deal with it.

Did you really think Romney was going to overturn Roe v Wade?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 PM

37,956 posts, read 22,088,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This is what I hear: My party lost and I do not have the emotional maturity to deal with it.

The Hollywood twits who made that 0bama campaign commercial were pushing that lie.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,940,106 times
Is this the death of the Republican party, or will they emerge stronger?

Did the Democrat party die after Bush was elected to a second term? There's your answer.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,427,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post

I've never been a Republican, but over the past 20 years I've seen the democrats slowly come unglued, and their policies are built on divisive and destructive agendas, so I vote for fewer and fewer democrats each year.

I think too many of the democratic voters do not even know how bad our economy is, on an historical level. We have never had so many poor as we do now, and if SNAP and unemployment compensation programs were not there to catch them, I fear our poverty levels would be much, much worse then they were even during the Great Depression.... and they still reelected this man.
The Democratic Party consistently fights for:
  • Thriving wages for workers.
  • Workplace laws that support families, such as family and medical leave.
  • Protections for the middle class who disproportionately have been forced to live on credit, from usurious interest rates, fees, and deceptive credit card terms.
  • Protections for consumers from unscrupulous banking practices.
While the Republican Party consistently fights for:
  • Eliminating the minimum wage.
  • Eliminating consumer protections from banks and credit card companies.
  • Taking food off the table of hungry families and children by slashing the SNAP program.
  • Doing away with as many of the Survival Security programs we've been forced to rely on due to substandard wages.
  • Tax laws that favor the wealthy over the middle class.
In the meantime, when Republicans controlled all three branches of government, their policies left us with:
  • A housing market in crisis and an unprecedented number of foreclosures.
  • The most massive banking failures since the Reagan Savings and Loan Crisis.
  • The gushing of nearly a million jobs a month from the private sector.
  • The utter collapse of Lehman Brothers and bailout of AIG.
  • The American Auto Industry at risk of going out of existence.
  • The stock market crashing.
  • And hundreds of millions of Americans losing nearly half their life-time accumulated wealth, which is what forced the millions and millions of American families onto food stamps in the first place.
When Democrats took over the helm, we:
  • Prevented a full-on Depression.
  • Stopped the bleeding of jobs, reversed the trend, and are now adding nearly 200,000 new jobs per month.
  • Saved the auto industry.
  • Saved Wall Street's hide.
  • Passed the stimulus and put people back to work when the private sector couldn't.
  • Put the highest profits in history into corporate coffers.
  • Nearly doubled the stock market.
  • Ended an unnecessary war and brought our brave servicemembers home to their families.
  • Passed the Republican version of Health Care Reform.
  • Stopped discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation in our military.
  • Ensured women could sue their employers if they learn they've illegally been underpaid relative their male counterparts.
  • Signed a new START with Russia.
  • Improved health care for children.
  • Passed banking reform.
  • Established the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
  • Improved Veterans benefits.
All in all, the Democratic Congress and President Obama passed more legislation than any president since the 1960s. And President Obama oversaw all of this while also dealing with:
Not to mention uprisings and protests in Iran, Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen, Bahrain and Libya; a global economic meltdown (Europe is still suffering immensely but we've pulled out of the crisis relatively well); several terrorist attack attempts here in the U.S., and an utterly obstructionist House who took us to the edge of default and cost us our formerly-pristine AAA credit rating.

Voters across the country looked at the last 8 to 12 years, listened to what each candidate said they would do if elected, and overwhelmingly Americans chose President Obama's plan and vision for America over Mitt Romney's and the Republican Party's, which was nothing more than Bush on steroids with an added dose of Medicare on vouchers.

In the wake of their catastrophic loss, instead of trying to learn from their mistakes, the GOP is splintering, finger-pointing, doubling down, and still getting it completely wrong.

If they don't get their sh&& together really, really fast, they will very soon be a party our children learn about in their history books.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 PM

38,637 posts, read 26,330,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

"This is what I hear"

To be expected.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,289,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
A lot of us don't want to "rebrand" ourselves. We don't see life through the lens of race, gender, and class the way you do. I support Republicans because their platform champions small government and personal responsibility. I don't give a rat's patootie what color your skin is, what type of genitalia you have, or what your salary is. I'm just not into identity politics. I want to appeal to peoples' values, not their color.
Unfortunately there aren't enough like you in the Republican Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.