Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times

Advertisements

I already have a plan in place if this situation happened to me. If you are outside hiding under my vehicle at 3 am I will warn you first, if you don't start running in 10 seconds I will let my dogs out. Now if you by some strange reason make it into my house I will handle it if my dogs already have not.

But I do know one thing. Do not shoot someone in your yard. Remember, we were all kids once and we did some pretty stupid things without thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Facts are supposed to be thus:

Kid was out at 3 AM.

True
Kid was under a truck on private property.

If the truck was parked on the street, it was not on private property. The article does not say exactly where it was parked.

Truck had previously been stolen but recovered.
True

Homeowner heard noise outside.

True
Kid hit homowner.

According to the homeowner who also says that he accidently shot the kid. There are tow stories here and according to the kid, the homeowner pointed a gun athim and told him to get on the ground. He never says anything about a scuffle.

Homeowner used gun to subdue kid.

True
Kid was shot once.

True
Kid was dragged into a garage and zip-tied.

True
Cops are considering laying charge against homeowner.

The cops have already charged him with false imprisonment and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, according to the article.

Seems simple on the face of it but there's lot's missing in those facts that I'm sure the police will seek out to fill in the gaps.

Previous theft of truck have any relation to this incident? Were the kids getting even or taking another shot at the truck?
Did the kid hit him before or after he was shot in shoulder?
Did the homowner call the cops before ar after he went out the door with his gun?
Would simply turning on the porch light have stopped the kids from their stupid prank?
Was dragging the kid into the garage and zip-tying him AFTER he's been shot necessary to subdue him?

In my day which is long gone now; the porch light would have gotten them running and with luck I would have known who the little cretins were and simply talked to their parents secure in the knowledge that THEY would mete out a punishment worthy of the kid standing on my porch the very next day with his hat in his hand and an apology on his lips while dad was standing on the sidewalk watching. I probably would have gotten an offer to perform some yardwork in the bargain.

Had I, at the age of 13, been caught out at 3AM by performing some stupid act such as this, my ass would have been red for a week and I'd be cutting that guys lawn for a summer for free, using my gas, bought by me. Likelyhood would have been strong that the homeowner and myself would have developed a mutual respect, if not a friendship.
I agree, there is more to the story, but not all of what you stated are facts are facts. The homeowner says the boy hit him, but there is no proof other than his word that we know of. The boy should not have been out at 3 AM - he was at a friends apparently and his mother says she did not know. Either way, in my opinion it shouldn't be so easy to shoot a person.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
13 year old kid out stealing trucks at 3:00 in the morning? Someone needs to teach his "mother" what being a parent means.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They didn't do anything to the guy that shot Daniel Adkins dead at a Taco Bell......also in Arizona.

Happened the same time the Travyon Martin case occurred, no contact was even made.

However, the shooter was black the victim as latino and mentally handicapped so there just wasn't the public outcry to press charges and take on the powerful SYG lobby.

I like pointing to this forgotten case as it puts the focus on the real culprit, bad SYG laws.

I was upset about Daniel Adkins and think that SYG laws are horrible. However, there is not a public outcry every time a black person gets shot by a non black person. There is no public outcry here and I could post links to a lot more stories that most people know nothing about. In this case, the homeowner allegedly told police “I saw the guy right there, it was dark, he was black, I didn’t know what to expect.” He probably should have left race out of it.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
13 year old kid out stealing trucks at 3:00 in the morning? Someone needs to teach his "mother" what being a parent means.

Were you there? Did you see him breaking into the truck? Apparently there is no evidence that he did since he was not charged with anything and the guy who shot him and held him captive was.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You just laid out what you view as an appropriate punishment for being out on someone else's property @ 3a. How does it sit with you then that instead of a hard ass whooping, the owner chose an almost lethal punishment?
Yeah; with my long winded lament for days gone by I nelgected to state a position regarding the guys use of a gun to confront a 13 year old.

Stupid in the extreme would be my assessment but then that is what this world, or at least the U.S., has sunk to.

Personal responsibility has all but dissappeared from the civil landscape. Parents would very likely defend the rights of their little Johnny, who stands 6' at the age of 13, to be under someone's car with an inane comment like: "what's the problem; it ain't like he was break'n down yer door"?

The man was safe in his house and regardless of how the previous theft of his favourite picky-up truck was influencing his decision to shoot a 13 year old or perhaps even a 21 year old car thief, it is my opinion only here: as long as you're not in the vehicle when the felon is attempting to steal it; call the cops and your insurance agency. Leave it at that.

Some have the capacity to kill without everlasting remorse but when being brought up by my father, a WWII veteran who, when very rarely coerced into relating tales to myself and older brother, would always end his tales with the remorse of the deaths of many young men at his hands.

It takes a special disconnect to be able to kill someone over a damn pick-up truck and not lose sleep over that event forever. For anyone thinking it's just that easy, I question the conditions prevelant that caused what you've become.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
I already have a plan in place if this situation happened to me. If you are outside hiding under my vehicle at 3 am I will warn you first, if you don't start running in 10 seconds I will let my dogs out. Now if you by some strange reason make it into my house I will handle it if my dogs already have not.

But I do know one thing. Do not shoot someone in your yard. Remember, we were all kids once and we did some pretty stupid things without thinking.

Bingo! The old batchelor farmer down the road from us used to let fly with a 10 guage shotgun whenever we were raiding his apple orchard with our salt shakers. We could never understand why all our parents didn't get really upset over this.

Turned out many years into adulthood that our parents were all in the know that he merely used short loads with cotton wadding only and never fired anywhere but directly up in the air while on his porch and we were at least 100 yards away from him. We'd hear him holler first then the boom, glimpse the fireworks of burning cotton and run like hell.

He said it was his mission to scare the bejeebers out of us but wouldn't think of actually hurting anyone and quite frankly enjoyed the fun he was having at our expense. We were long gone so never heard that cackle of Walter Brennan-like laughter.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
This happened not far from me.

Prowling around, however innocent, on another person's property in a neighborhood that has seen home invasions, car jackings and other violent crimes on property owners, mainly by teenagers, is a good way to get your innocent arse killed.

If the investigation finds that Zamora is guilty of unwarranted use of force, then he should do the time. His neighbors on the other hand are overwhelmingly siding with him.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Why is a 13 year old outside @ 3am?
Read the linked article! He was spending the night with a friend and he sneaked out of the house to walk two girls home.

He was being a dumb kid, which is understandable, because he IS a kid. What's the excuse for the idiot 42 year old who thinks it's OK to shoot someone who MIGHT be messing with his truck??

Old 11-14-2012, 02:10 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Read the linked article! He was spending the night with a friend and he sneaked out of the house to walk two girls home.

He was being a dumb kid, which is understandable, because he IS a kid. What's the excuse for the idiot 42 year old who thinks it's OK to shoot someone who MIGHT be messing with his truck??
Walking 2 girls home to where???? under somebodies truck???

In addition......6 pages in and I still don't see what this has to do with Trayvon Martin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies