Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 PM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
So are you saying that people making minimum wage are too stupid to find a better paying job? Hell Walmart pays more then minimum wage, if someone is making minimum wage for years it is their choice to keep that job.
No I am saying one thing has nothing to do with another. I am glad when someone becomes a vascular surgeon, but I see no reason why that means that we should allow the financial sector to destroy the economy. You argument is if a serial killer is on the lose, go to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A childless single working full time at minimum wage pays over $500 a year in federal income tax and does not get EITC.
No they don't get the EITC, but they do get all of federal and state paid into for that year. The employer matches the employee's medicare and social security. So, actually the employer is paying more taxes already.... the employer pays the employee's wages and helps the employee build their social security and medicare.

By the way, a person thats childless, single and a full time worker I think gets the better break..... it cost much more to raise a child and the government doesn't give near the breaks, they have even
taken some of those away.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Well if Bush taxcuts are not renewed then all that happens is that we go back to tax rates under Clinton.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
And how is that my problem? If there is no advancement path there find somewhere else to work. You clearly have internet access why not train yourself to learn some new skills that would qualify you for doing more than working at 7-11. Start your own online business, buy items on ebay and resell them for a profit, if you have more time than money you could make cash selling virtual items in online games like World of Warcraft.

You qualify for no loans, no grants, no scholarships? You could have joined the Army, Reserves or National Guard gained skills and gotten your college paid for, depending on your age you still could do it.

It's hard work but many people have graduated from college while working minimum wage jobs, you just have to put in the effort and do more than post on CD about how unfair life is.

Actually, I've found a niche (took three niches to find one what works) on eBay were I can make money reselling stuff. And if I ever can get a website up and running I'll have a large online store where I can cut out the middleman.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
No I am saying one thing has nothing to do with another. I am glad when someone becomes a vascular surgeon, but I see no reason why that means that we should allow the financial sector to destroy the economy. You argument is if a serial killer is on the lose, go to college.

Talk about putting words into someone's mouth. Where have I mentioned that someone should go to college in this thread? I mentioned specifically if someone has worked for minimum wage at any job for years, they are doing so by choice, regardless of background or personal history there have been other options available for decades.

As for someone being a surgeon, not everybody can be a surgeon, but we could all be sanitation workers, ditch diggers, walmart employees, laborers, and they all pay more then minimum wage. Hell I know a single mother that grew up in foster homes and never graduated high school, she now owns a landscaping/ snow removal company that she started using a $500 pickup with a grader and a $100 lawn mower when she could not find a decent job. Now she owns 2 trucks and has 4 employees year round. She is not getting rich but she makes a damn site more then minimum wage.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Unless there is some other factor you're not mentioning (like investment income over $3,015 a year), this hypothetical mother COULD get the full Earned Income Credit according to the IRS http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p596.pdf. If this woman were not a mother, she could not meet the income limits for the EIC while working full time at minimum wage, but some individuals (male or female) can get the EIC without having any children.

According to the IRS publication on the EIC a single person is eligible for the EIC if they have one child and earn less than $36,052, and investment income less than $3,015. Since a full time worker getting minimum wage earns $15,080, YES, the mother in the example WOULD get the EIC. In fact, this single mother could earn $16.99 an hour full time and still be under the $36,052 qualification limits.

Even without ANY children, some individuals can still get the EIC credit. They must be between 25 and 65, have lived in the U.S. for more than 1/2 the year, and earn less than $13,660 ($18,740 for married filing jointly).

The maximum EIC for 2012 is $3,169 for individuals with one qualifying child; and $475 if the individual has no qualifying children. So legally, if there was no other income than minimum wages, the mother in the example above should have received either a $3,169 rebate on income taxes paid, or a check for $3,169 if no income tax was required.
Right, an unmarried childless adult working full time at minimum wage earns more than $13,660 - so no EITC.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 PM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Talk about putting words into someone's mouth. Where have I mentioned that someone should go to college in this thread? As for someone being a surgeon, not everybody can be a surgeon, but we could all be sanitation workers, ditch diggers, walmart employees, laborers, and they all pay more then minimum wage. I mentioned specifically if someone has worked for minimum wage at any job for years, they are doing so by choice, regardless of background or personal history there have been other options available for decades.

Well since people are whining about the low returns on their investments as a possible tax target then I am using your logic. Find higher paying investments. See what a simple solution it is?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Well since people are whining about the low returns on their investments as a possible tax target then I am using your logic. Find higher paying investments. See what a simple solution it is?
Investments are different then a job, you have control over a job you choose to take and work at for years, investments are guesses on what you hope a business usually out of your control will do. However you are right, if people do not like the return on their investments, they have the right to move those investments, and there are some investments that pay better then others.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A childless single working full time at minimum wage pays over $500 a year in federal income tax and does not get EITC.
Less than $50 a month. Sounds like a bargain. Millions of Mexicans would pay far more for the privilege.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
It's inevitable that there will be poor people in a free economy. It's also generally agreed that the poor deserve some sort of quality of life and safety net. It's great to talk of making them pay their fair share, but they couldn't afford an actual fair share. Increasing their tax rates substantially would do considerable harm to their quality of life and still not raise much revenue for the government. With the rich, a large increase in their tax rate would not hurt their quality of life and would, in fact, raise a significant amount of money. The poor personally benefit the most from low taxes and money that they receive is more likely to immediately stimulate the local economy and not, for example, be used to buy a house in Brazil or be parked in a Swiss bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies