Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 06:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
I don't think the media tolerates "labels" as much as the public itself does. Media folks would not be allowed to use any of the labels you have listed above. People in general do fall into the sad state of having to use a label to describe people they see. Just yesterday, I was in a second hand store and the two ladies checking out in front of me were extremely overweight, extremely unkempt, and were purchasing nothing but JUNK...all of the latter was not my concern but it did hurt my heart to think that two ladies such as they were could not even take the time to bathe, comb their hair or put on clean clothing. What race were they?? Does it matter?? What matters is the fact that they would go out of their home shopping looking as they did and what matters is why they were both so morbidly obese when it is clearly a health issue. Were they trash?? I don't know and I would never judge..could be but those words would not have come out of my mouth.

In the USA unfortunately, people are judged by how they live, where they live, how they look and more. "TRASH" is a common description of people in general who don't CARE how they look or what kind of "vibe" they give off to those around them. Putting a color before the word TRASH or a race is so wrong, so very wrong because ANYONE could fall into that category once they stop caring about living their life in general.
Oh boy.

WHen you describe a situation, the race of those involved IS often important to understanding the situation.

Why wouldn't it be?

We are supposed to always assume everyone in every situation that we discuss is white? Isn't that really crazy thinking? And doesn't that perpetuate a white supremicist sort of attitude?

Do you see how twisted your thinking is?

And here's one for you: WASP. The media (including academics) have been using that moniker for decades. And what does it stand for? WHITE ANGLOSAXON PROTESTANT. WASP. Now are you going to tell me that a descriptive phrase, excusively created to denote a very particular type of white person is RACIST?

Not hardly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 06:09 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If you don't deserve it, yes.
If you do, only if the truth offends you.
Most 'white trash''(of the adult variety) that I know don't give a flying you-know-what about what anybody thinks of or calls them.
This is true. ^ ^ ^

Which is one reason they are WHITE TRASH. It denotes a particular type of white person who is IRRESPONSIBLE, has no pride, doesn't care about himself or his surroundings or anyone else's rights, either. Black people live entirely differently than white people who are trashy. Black folks are rarely rural, for one thing. And if they are, they rarely live in trailers/mobile homes. I don't know why that is - but I am a native Southerner, been all over the South, and I don't see black people in trailers. Maybe a sociologist could explain that but I can't - all I know is - I never see black folks in trailers.

The phrase "white trash" may have been co-opted by people who don't have a clue what it really means, but for those of us who have grown up around "white trash," it has a distinct and very specific meaning: people who have no self-respect, trash up their surroundings, stay drunk most of the time, are often plagued by domestic violence, and you DO NOT WANT TO RENT TO THEM - they will TRASH their surroundings.

Calling them low class is NOT the same thing. Lower class people may be vulgar, uneducated, and poor - but they are not necessarily TRASHY. You can be lower class and aspire to moving up the social ladder through education, good manners and self-respect - and you can be any race/ethnicity.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This is true. ^ ^ ^

Which is one reason they are WHITE TRASH. It denotes a particular type of white person who is IRRESPONSIBLE, has no pride, doesn't care about himself or his surroundings or anyone else's rights, either. Black people live entirely differently than white people who are trashy. Black folks are rarely rural, for one thing. And if they are, they rarely live in trailers/mobile homes. I don't know why that is - but I am a native Southerner, been all over the South, and I don't see black people in trailers. Maybe a sociologist could explain that but I can't - all I know is - I never see black folks in trailers.

The phrase "white trash" may have been co-opted by people who don't have a clue what it really means, but for those of us who have grown up around "white trash," it has a distinct and very specific meaning: people who have no self-respect, trash up their surroundings, stay drunk most of the time, are often plagued by domestic violence, and you DO NOT WANT TO RENT TO THEM - they will TRASH their surroundings.

Calling them low class is NOT the same thing. Lower class people may be vulgar, uneducated, and poor - but they are not necessarily TRASHY. You can be lower class and aspire to moving up the social ladder through education, good manners and self-respect - and you can be any race/ethnicity.
I agree with this. It is a very specific culture shown by some southern whites. We have it here in Oregon too. Usually in the woods west of the Cascades mountains. The places where southerners moved out to work in the woods and sawmills. Ken Kesey describes it in his book "Sometimes a Great Notion." It is usually a rural thing. Yes, you see a lot of it in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, West Virginia, Texas and places colonized by Okies and Arkies, like Bakersfield, CA. Whites who drop out of high school or graduate with bunch of shop classes, knock up their girlfriends (sometimes several), then go on and off of public assistance the rest of their lives, but vote staunchly republican. I know. I am describing a slice of my family.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
as was asked before but unanswered by the op, what is with the picture? the op is offended at the term white trash, yet he has no problem putting a picture of an overweight woman w/his post? the term is offensive to him but it is ok to insinuate the woman in the picture demonstrates the term?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 AM

990 posts, read 938,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
I fail to comprehend why a term which singles out race is so openly tolerated in the media and society. Should be say "latin trash" or "black trash" or "Chinese trash", our cities would be burnt down. Why "white", why not just say "trash" (if people need to say anything at all)?
Do you prefer the term "redneck", "hick" or "cracker"?

I am white and I use the terrm all the time because it's a very accurate term. We don't call black people "trash" because we use different terms, like "ghetto" or the even more racist ones...

It's so hard being a white person in America, everything is racist against us! We are victimized at every turn.

Seriosuly, this is pathetic. Why do you care that the scum of society is referred to by a name which reflects their value as people? Nobody has ever called me white trash because I'm not...are you?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Do you prefer the term "redneck", "hick" or "cracker"?

I am white and I use the terrm all the time because it's a very accurate term. We don't call black people "trash" because we use different terms, like "ghetto" or the even more racist ones...

It's so hard being a white person in America, everything is racist against us! We are victimized at every turn.

Seriosuly, this is pathetic. Why do you care that the scum of society is referred to by a name which reflects their value as people? Nobody has ever called me white trash because I'm not...are you?
The problem is the double-standard. It's acceptable to be mean and insulting towards white people we feel are beneath us. There is no repercussion for using these derogatory terms, which is simply not OK as it normalizes the denigration of people.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Someone tell me if a minority ever kept you out of a job or kept you from achieving something? I'm convinced you guys are bitter old white folks mad because you feel America has gone too far left and no longer reap the great benefits you've once has before. Black s have no power in this country economically, 2% Jews have more economic clout than blacks and Hispanics together. When was the last time you've been at a minority run company? How often do you see them? How does white trash make you not sleep at night?

I'm convinced you guys are just bitter and mad and sit here and whine all day about the changing America. You see the direction it's going and you feel whites are losing power slowly. Too many minorities, too many women getting higher end degrees, women usually aren't bitter and angry racist like the men are and this poses a great threat to how America was built. I feel sorry for someone of you personally, you sit here and act like you have a 8th grade education and people red to tell you the same things over and over again, you don't care about other views, just you're own bigoted, angry views on what you feel is the downfall of this country.

Then you cry foul when token Asians vote dem 80% of the time. Felt because they're educated they'll side with you but they didn't and you're shocked.

Get over it and stop acting stupid.
a tea partier with a rude sign doesn't affect your life or livelihood whatsoever, yet you've been shrieking and whining about those for years now.

it's very amusing how willing you are to accept such blatant double standards.

get over it and stop acting stupid.

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Guess I better stop referring to myself as a white boy and not refer to my wife as "my little flip" again.
Why? You're free to use whatever terms you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
You really think so many civil rights activists sacrificed their freedom and dignity so idiots who think like you could run around saying ni**er under some misguided notion that their sacrifices have allowed you, as a person of color, to perpetuate such hateful words?

You would be a disgrace in their eyes, and you are not the type of person they fought for.\

And just why wouldn't my opinion matter? Because I'm white? Is that it? Come on, let's peal away the facade and see just how racist you're willing to be on a public forum.
Yes. Because you're not black. Also because i don't know you and you don't know me. How you find that to be racist is beyond me.

And i'm not into snitching and reporting people, but please, don't refer to me as an idiot.

In any case, i can say the N word, and that's all there is to it. Deal with it. No need for it to upset you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think "white trash" has always meant white people who live like black people (presumably all trashy by dint of race and inclincation) and was an old Southern way of referring to white people who lived with or at a level of poor black people.

I also find "trailer trash" offensive. Trailers/mobile homes are affordable housing that isn't an apartment. My parents lived in a tiny trailer in a nice park for 30 years because they were broke. I'd live in one if need be- it's better than an apartment with someone sharing a wall and a roof/floor.
Well, trailer trash doesn't sound all that bad. In a sense, i don't like it because i think it's usually reserved for whites, but at the end of the day, the term is appropriate in many cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Because its OK for liberals to label people
No, it isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
The problem is the double-standard. It's acceptable to be mean and insulting towards white people we feel are beneath us. There is no repercussion for using these derogatory terms, which is simply not OK as it normalizes the denigration of people.
I really don't see this double standard. To me, you have no right to denigrate white folks anymore so than any other race.

In a sense, i feel bad for poor whites. In some ways, they're almost at the bottom of society. Forgotten, and often scorned. I think middle class and wealthy whites treat poor whites much worse than middle class and wealthy blacks treat poor blacks. Same for the other races. Whites are crueler to each other when it comes to social status.

Now THAT'S a question that should be asked. Why are poor whites looked down upon so badly?

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
While we shouldn't go around giving out nasty labels, I don't white trash anymore offensive then other derogatory terms.

I think the OP is just offended at the "double" standard of how you can say white trash without much ramifications.

As white people become less and less the majority in the country, perhaps some of the PC bullcrap will shift to the next largest demographic.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,558 times
sERIOUSLY..PEOPLE ARE OFFENDED BY THE TERM WHITE TRASH? Has our society he really become this sensitive and easily offended? Sad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies