Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 AM
 
14,295 posts, read 9,622,908 times
Reputation: 4254

Advertisements

I'm shocked!!!

Obama Won't Fight For Gay Marriage His Second Term

Barack Obama isn’t exactly famous for his loyalty; he has a history of jettisoning people once they’ve outlived their usefulness to him. This time, it’s the gay community.

On Friday, Obama told an MTV audience that he would not fight for gay marriage his second term, intoning that “it would be up to future generations of Americans to implement meaningful reform.”

Here’s the kicker; realizing that some states are now endorsing gay marriage, Obama suddenly became a champion of states’ rights, asserting, “For us to try to legislate federally into this area is probably the wrong way to go.”

Obama Won't Fight For Gay Marriage His Second Term

 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 AM
 
2,635 posts, read 3,495,964 times
Reputation: 1686
His focus for the next 2 months will be the Fiscal Cliff. Everything else will be off the table. Furthermore, he's waiting for the upcoming constitutional challenge to DOMA. The courts will also need to resolve the conflict with some state constitutions banning and other approving gay marriage. Once these issues are resolved, then we'll see what the next steps are. It's all about priorities.
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 AM
 
753 posts, read 724,114 times
Reputation: 440
Of course he won't: marriage is almost exclusively a state issue.

To the extent that the federal government has anything to do with marriage (such as DOMA), the administration is declining to defend such an embarrassingly unconstitutional law. And DOMA (most specifically, the absurd Section 3) is likely to be struck down by the USSC in the spring of 2013.

I know you find it shocking (or at least pretend to find it shocking) that the head of the federal government won't be calling state legislators in Providence and Dover and urging them to vote certain ways on state laws, notwithstanding the fact that Presidents never do such things. But no one else does.
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 AM
 
9,879 posts, read 7,974,417 times
Reputation: 2521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
Of course he won't: marriage is almost exclusively a state issue.

that Presidents never do such things.
The only thing that is surprising, is that folks voted for Obama based on this issue,
thinking it is a Presidential power.... that they are this gullible.
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Florida
76,791 posts, read 47,085,513 times
Reputation: 14685
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I'm shocked!!!

Obama Won't Fight For Gay Marriage His Second Term

Barack Obama isn’t exactly famous for his loyalty; he has a history of jettisoning people once they’ve outlived their usefulness to him. This time, it’s the gay community.

On Friday, Obama told an MTV audience that he would not fight for gay marriage his second term, intoning that “it would be up to future generations of Americans to implement meaningful reform.”

Here’s the kicker; realizing that some states are now endorsing gay marriage, Obama suddenly became a champion of states’ rights, asserting, “For us to try to legislate federally into this area is probably the wrong way to go.”

Obama Won't Fight For Gay Marriage His Second Term
He didn't fight for it during the 1st term either, so what's the big deal?
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 AM
 
14,295 posts, read 9,622,908 times
Reputation: 4254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
His focus for the next 2 months will be the Fiscal Cliff. Everything else will be off the table. Furthermore, he's waiting for the upcoming constitutional challenge to DOMA. The courts will also need to resolve the conflict with some state constitutions banning and other approving gay marriage. Once these issues are resolved, then we'll see what the next steps are. It's all about priorities.
None of what you said jives with his statements. Obama did not say he was too busy at the moment, or that he was waiting for the courts to decide an issue, he essentially said that it's a dead issue with him.

Obama continued on Friday: (Clear as mud, eh?)
"First of all, I've been very clear about my belief that same-sex couples have to be treated before the eyes of the law the same way as heterosexual couples. I think that's the right thing to do. It's based on my personal experience, seeing loving couples who are committed to each other, raising kids and are just outstanding people. And I was supportive of civil unions, but they taught me, if you're using different words, if you're somehow singling them out, they don't feel true equality."
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,767 posts, read 28,687,646 times
Reputation: 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I'm shocked!!!

Obama Won't Fight For Gay Marriage His Second Term
I knew it! Y'all were worried for gay marriage recognition because it would turn y'all, to belong in the LGBT community. And now that you have tasted the blood, you're worried that Obama will no longer be loyal to you.

Got it!
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,072,475 times
Reputation: 27718
Amnesty is going to be the big issue now.

He already won over the gay population. Why stay focused on a group that you already won over ?
 
Old 11-14-2012, 09:26 AM
 
29,409 posts, read 21,895,919 times
Reputation: 5455
Yes he got these fools to vote for him on this issue so now leaves em off on their own. It is rather funny I must admit. Played like a fiddle. Democrats too dumb to even realize it. All that fawning over dear leader for his shift in stance and boycotting and on and on for nothing. I guess they least didn't get killed like our ambassador when Obama turned his back.
 
Old 11-14-2012, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,072,475 times
Reputation: 27718
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yes he got these fools to vote for him on this issue so now leaves em off on their own. It is rather funny I must admit. Played like a fiddle. Democrats too dumb to even realize it. All that fawning over dear leader for his shift in stance and boycotting and on and on for nothing. I guess they least didn't get killed like our ambassador when Obama turned his back.
Once you get a loyal fan club you move on to the next group.
I think it's going to be the Hispanics. He woo'd them in 2008 but didn't get amnesty passed.
He gave them deferred status and opened the jails and stopped checking the border which kept them on his side. But he needs to get them full amnesty if he wants to keep them.

That's 15-20 million new Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top