Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I remember how cool I thought I was when I got my fake ID at 18 back in the day. Strangely I barely ever got carded after I ponied up all the dough for it. Strange world we live in. lol
Since I'm older than you and the legal age was 18, I got my first fake ID at 16 in the form of a bogusly dated bus pass. Unfortunately, my Mom found and destroyed that one. I had to cut school again and schlep all the way to the downtown bus depot again to get another one. But, it was worth it and due to a much better hiding place, I held on to it until I actually turned 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 12:46 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
When I worked there 10+ years ago
Uh huh, You've got my attention, keep going...

Old 11-14-2012, 12:50 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well actually back in the day if/when you got caught it wasn't such a big deal. They'd just make you dump out your beer and tell you to go home and if they see you out the rest of the night your in real trouble. Now you are treated like public enemy #1.
That was my experience as well. Back in the day underage drinking was almost condoned by the cops (at least where I grew up). In fact, one time our beer ended up in the back seat of the police car and we received a hearty "Thanks" from the cops who planned to enjoy it later.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Default line of the day

"..denied service at Hooters.." is just too funny.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Is their policy based on law?

Again, what does the law say?
I can only speak for what I know in New Mexico which is that the law states that you can only serve people over 21. Yet most establishments have their own policy to protect them from punitive fines.

One establishment I worked for, a brew pub, was stung when a party of three older men (undercover police) walked in, sat down and ordered a pitcher of beer and four glasses. Then, another underage officer "appeared" from the bathroom. Once he sat down, it was considered a violation because he had no I.D. and was indeed under the legal serving age.

The waitress who served the pitcher, who did I.D. the men present at the time the beer was ordered, was fined $5,000, about a third of her yearly earnings as a part-time waitress. The restaurant was fined $50,000 and threatened with having their liquor licence revoked if they accrued one more violation within 1 year of the first violation.

When the threat of the utter destruction of a business and the job loss of everyone employed there is at stake, it doesn't surprise me that they started a 'card everyone including 5,000 year old mummies' policy.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
A number of places around here card everyone too. It's CYA for an overzelous crackdown on alcohol sales to minors. Rather than debate how old someone looks with every individual customer, they just card everyone. Can't say that I blame them. Don't blame the stores/resturants, blame the morality police that are taking over every state. Thankfully Idaho isn't as bad as many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies