Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the anti-American conservative calls for secession?
Yes, the election didn't go my way so the United States should be broken up. 15 18.07%
No, I stand by my flag and my country. I believe in the United States of America. 68 81.93%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 06:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post

Here's how I feel about it - let them go and the remaining states will prosper!
Video - The Young Turks with Cenk Uygur // Current TV

These secessionist states, once gone, will demand foreign aid and military bases for protection.
Whole new twist to illegal immigration, eh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

obama can't stop spending, and we are going to default on our debt unless he can get his act together-but i seriously doubt it.
Many Republicans said the same thing about FDR, back when.

What exactly would you cut ?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Many Republicans said the same thing about FDR, back when.

What exactly would you cut ?

And it is still said because that's the way it was.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:27 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Republican Governors in Alabama, Tennessee, Texas, and other states have come out strongly against anti-American calls for secession from disaffected conservatives bruised by another crushing election defeat to Obama.
Good for them. It almost makes me verklempt.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
I am a progressive and I am fine with secession. If they vote to do it, then let them. If we stop states from leaving the nation if they so choose, why not stop people from leaving too? You know, build a big wall and throw everyone who tries to move out of the USA into a labor camp or something? I mean, moving to another country is "anti-American" to.

But to people who say "leaving the country is anti-American" I say this: LEAVING THE EMPIRE WAS ANTI-BRITISH, BUT DID THAT STOP US?

The difference between being a "traitor" and a "founding father" is one little detail: VICTORY.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:07 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
I guess the underwriters will have to secede from their individual states, as well.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I am a progressive and I am fine with secession. If they vote to do it, then let them. If we stop states from leaving the nation if they so choose, why not stop people from leaving too? You know, build a big wall and throw everyone who tries to move out of the USA into a labor camp or something? I mean, moving to another country is "anti-American" to.

But to people who say "leaving the country is anti-American" I say this: LEAVING THE EMPIRE WAS ANTI-BRITISH, BUT DID THAT STOP US?

The difference between being a "traitor" and a "founding father" is one little detail: VICTORY.
Exactly. For instance, if plutocrats take over our government they are our democracy's "traitors", but "heroes" (or founders) of the new plutocracy. Relative indeed.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 AM

26 posts, read 22,771 times
The extreme right is showing their true colors with all this secession business. All these "Pro America" patriots are being exposed as a bunch of traitors and white supremacists. The truth is when these people say they're "Pro America" it's really just code for "Pro White" and they just hate that a black man is President and that America is growing more diverse. These people make me sick.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:27 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Not strictly a spending problem, but just as much a revenue problem, thanks to, primarily, Reagan and the 2nd Bush. Giving tax breaks to so called job creators, who just used the money to buy more boats and homes, more than they did to actually create jobs.
Ok lets go with your thinking that they bought boats and homes. Where do you think the money went after they paid for it. When ever you buy something the money goes on to another business who pays employees who then spends money and their money goes on to buy something from a company that pays employees and so on. Lets go with the house, maybe the previous owner goes on to build a house. The new owner needs things for the house they just purchased so they buy, therefor supporting other businesses who pay employers. there are so many scenarios of this money circulating through they economy, paying employees, being spent over and over again. Unbelievable you need that explained to you.

Velocity of money, look it up. (Obama has been decreasing the velocity of money and it's not good for anyone but his cronies).

Oh, my bad, you prefer it bypasses all those people and go straight to Obama.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:35 AM

13 posts, read 13,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
well, as a conservative i disagree with you.

people STILL HAVE A RIGHT TO EXPRESS THEIR FRUSTRATION over policies which are going to destroy things for future generations.

i feel sorry for the high school kids now, as they are going to have a different america than i had when i was in school.

obama can't stop spending, and we are going to default on our debt unless he can get his act together-but i seriously doubt it. the americans who struggled (like my father) working every single day of his life deserved better than this drunken no-accountability spending spree that this government has embarked on, and the sad americans who would cheat THEIR OWN CHILDREN.

they are like j. wellington wimpy from popeye-give me my burger today and put it on my tab.

ron paul totally nails it, as always:
The Fed Undermines Foreign Policy

oh, and now the federal reserve stealing houses too with printed money, the corzine "don't know what happened to the money" fraud, the benghazi cover-up (of whatever the heck happened), and DEGRADING the currency that some people WORK very hard to earn.

it is a disgrace, and people have a right to be angry.

so, if they want to talk secession god bless em, because at least they are still awake-unlike half of the somnolent population which really doesn't even care what happens anymore.
You have the right to be angry.

Look - for the last few elections, there hasn't been a huge ideological difference in the candidates being presented. In this last one, for example, I feel like we were presented a choice between 2 Republicans who only differed in HOW they would change things and not so much in WHAT they needed to change.

You can change that though. Research positions and the candidates. Get involved with the political process. Push the RNC and the DNC for candidates which reflect your values better. Really, politics is about US and OUR needs. It's time to take our government back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies