Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 03:59 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those same professions have to be licensed in Texas which is not union.
Those same professions have to be licensed in Florida which is not union.

A license means they are qualified to do that specific type of work.
They had to study and take a test and pass it.

I'm all for licensed trades when the type of work warrants it.
And I'd say electrical and plumbing are 2 such trades.
All trades licensing is fundamentally union related. Even in the 18th century, unions were promoting licensing for the trades of their day.

So what's the difference between the government requiring that tradespeople be qualified and foods be safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's only a scam until a school burns down from bad wiring or a hospital floods due to bad plumbing. The safety codes are there for... wait for it.... Safety.

Unions build to safety code, period. Journeymen know their codes by heart, and apprentices are drilled on codes until they know them by heart. A union wired school will never burn down from wiring that does not meet safety codes. A hospital will never spill germs all over in a union plumbed building.

If those are scams, you don't even know the meaning of the word. Licensing is essential to our society and not a scam in any shape or form,just as required inspections are necessary. Every union journeyman is required to own a complete license and certification in their specialty. Using non-union workers is always risking that a corner will be cut somewhere to make a little money.
Ding, ding, ding. It all gets inspected before the system goes on line. That's why the licensing is a scam.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 11-25-2012 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
All trades licensing is fundamentally union related. Even in the 18th century, unions were promoting licensing for the trades of their day.

So what's the difference between the government requiring that tradespeople be qualified and foods be safe?

Ding, ding, ding. It all gets inspected before the system goes on line. That's why the licensing is a scam.
Nope. Not always. Some states are lax in their inspections, and some states are woefully short of qualified inspectors. Becoming an inspector can be a political appointment in some places, and when it comes to political payoffs, knowledge and expertise doesn't always count for much, especially when there's money to be made and backs to be scratched.

Unions created many of the safety standards that became law, and unions have much more to lose if membership gets careless or sloppy in their work. Non-union workers lose nothing much. and they make even less, so they don't care much about their work either. Unions are held accountable for the work they produce, and non-union workers can simply disappear when their work is dangerously shoddy.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Nope. Not always. Some states are lax in their inspections, and some states are woefully short of qualified inspectors. Becoming an inspector can be a political appointment in some places, and when it comes to political payoffs, knowledge and expertise doesn't always count for much, especially when there's money to be made and backs to be scratched.
What you have done is destroyed the credibility of municipalities. That means that your argument in favor of licensing has been crippled because the entity that controls licensing has been proven to lack credibility by you.

Quote:
Unions created many of the safety standards that became law, and unions have much more to lose if membership gets careless or sloppy in their work. Non-union workers lose nothing much. and they make even less, so they don't care much about their work either. Unions are held accountable for the work they produce, and non-union workers can simply disappear when their work is dangerously shoddy.
We're talking about licensing that allows the irresponsible consumer to externalize the costs of leg work and relationship building to people whom don't use the licensed service in question. Not only is that licensing a form of theft by the consumer against the non-consumer, but that licensing also serves as a corrupt burden on the market by granting a monopoly and creates quasi-officials, licensed tradespeople.

The fundamental problem is your lack of respect for humans to grasp the principles of the trade work that they're purchasing. But lack of respect for human intelligence is the fundamental value of communists, and that's why unions and their members are always in favor of communism, even if the members don't know that that's what they're pushing.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:09 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
What you have done is destroyed the credibility of municipalities. That means that your argument in favor of licensing has been crippled because the entity that controls licensing has been proven to lack credibility by you.

Nice try at lumpage, but untrue. My argument is: under some conditions, some officials are corruptible. That is not saying all inspectors are corrupt or that all are lax. Do not conflate what is with what is not.

We're talking about licensing that allows the irresponsible consumer to externalize the costs of leg work and relationship building to people whom don't use the licensed service in question. Not only is that licensing a form of theft by the consumer against the non-consumer, but that licensing also serves as a corrupt burden on the market by granting a monopoly and creates quasi-officials, licensed tradespeople.

So you believe ALL licensing is a form of theft? Then why to you argue that cities' credibility is threatened at the same time. What constitutes the greater wrong in your twisted logic?

The fundamental problem is your lack of respect for humans to grasp the principles of the trade work that they're purchasing. But lack of respect for human intelligence is the fundamental value of communists, and that's why unions and their members are always in favor of communism, even if the members don't know that that's what they're pushing.
I respect everyone until they prove themselves not worthy of my respect. Furthermore, you have no way of knowing who I respect or not, because you do not know me at all. Your presumption is stupid, ignorant, and arrogant all at once.

Given that, am I supposed to respect your other ridiculous remarks? I think not.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Nice try at lumpage, but untrue. My argument is: under some conditions, some officials are corruptible. That is not saying all inspectors are corrupt or that all are lax. Do not conflate what is with what is not.
I don't know what "lumpage" is, but I do know what impeachment is, and that's what you did: you impeached the system. For every circumstance in which some official might be corrupt, the testing officials can be corrupt and the individual licensee can be corrupt because the system, according to you, cannot be relied upon. You've ruined your own argument.

Quote:
...why do you argue that cities' credibility is threatened...
To prove that you're mistaken.

Quote:
I respect everyone until they prove themselves not worthy of my respect. Furthermore, you have no way of knowing who I respect or not, because you do not know me at all. Your presumption is stupid, ignorant, and arrogant all at once.
Then your opinion of humans is much lower than mine. For me, respect for others means recognizing that they have the capacity to make decisions for themselves and that they deserve not to pay for others' lack of responsibility.

It seems that your version of respect means that a person is obligated to subsidize others' lifestyles; they're quasi-slaves.

Quote:
Given that, am I supposed to respect your other ridiculous remarks? I think not.
Since my arguments do not rely on my authority, my character isn't relevant to the exchange, so it would be rational to have respect for my arguments.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well corporate American offshored to other countries for cheaper labor.
We had this idea in America that American workers were "irreplaceable".
We also had the notion that it was only mfg that was going..not the white collar jobs..nah..wouldn't happen.
Did any competitors step up to the place to take over "Made in America" ?
Obviously not enough when the people are crying to government to create jobs for them.
And just as many people buy the brands, now Made in China as they did when they were Made in the USA

White collar corporate America went Galt.. their labor, goods and profits are offshore.
And the masses are crying because those part time, low paying service jobs just ain't cutting it.
What they hell does what you describe have to do with going Galt? Do you know what going Galt is supposed to mean? Serious question.

What you are discussing in your post is a completely different thing. It is not going Galt.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:

So, instead of having government inspectors who are experts in teir field, you suggest that we all need to be experts in car safety, food and drugs, pesticides, etc., etc.? (And that's presuming I have access to the data.) I find it far more efficient to pay a few more tax dollars to government so that I can focus on my main job and areas of expertise.

Moreover, to equate regulation to communism is crazy talk. Even Adam Smith, the father of capitalism, understood the right and necessity for the government to regulate.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Warren Buffett thinks the whole idea of "Going Galt" is silly and writes such in today's NY Times:

Quote:
SUPPOSE that an investor you admire and trust comes to you with an investment idea. “This is a good one,” he says enthusiastically. “I’m in it, and I think you should be, too.”

Would your reply possibly be this? “Well, it all depends on what my tax rate will be on the gain you’re saying we’re going to make. If the taxes are too high, I would rather leave the money in my savings account, earning a quarter of 1 percent.” Only in Grover Norquist’s imagination does such a response exist.

Between 1951 and 1954, when the capital gains rate was 25 percent and marginal rates on dividends reached 91 percent in extreme cases, I sold securities and did pretty well. In the years from 1956 to 1969, the top marginal rate fell modestly, but was still a lofty 70 percent — and the tax rate on capital gains inched up to 27.5 percent. I was managing funds for investors then. Never did anyone mention taxes as a reason to forgo an investment opportunity that I offered.

Under those burdensome rates, moreover, both employment and the gross domestic product (a measure of the nation’s economic output) increased at a rapid clip. The middle class and the rich alike gained ground.

So let’s forget about the rich and ultrarich going on strike and stuffing their ample funds under their mattresses if — gasp — capital gains rates and ordinary income rates are increased. The ultrarich, including me, will forever pursue investment opportunities.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:

Just because a person says they can do electrical work on your home is good enough for you ?
Sorry, but for some work I rely on them having a license because some work requires education beyond mere "intelligence". A licensed person has more to lose if they don't know what they are doing..their license is their livelihood for a small business owner.

It does not create a monopoly. Anyone can study and take the test to get a trades license.
Now in union states it may be hard and next to impossible to get a job without knowing someone but that is due to the union. And that's not even the definition of a monopoly. A monopoly is what we had when AT&T was the only phone company in the US.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What they hell does what you describe have to do with going Galt? Do you know what going Galt is supposed to mean? Serious question.

What you are discussing in your post is a completely different thing. It is not going Galt.
Sure it is. You take it literally..as in leave the country with a suitcase full of money.
Going Galt is leaving the system and not contributing to it anymore or for as little as necessary.

Corporate America shrugged and now Walmart is the #1 employer.
Jobs that cannot be offshored is about all that is left and those don't pay much.

do you think "going Galt" is about rich people leaving the country ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies