Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times

Advertisements

Well this will surely put an end to bad parenting in the city of Chicago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2049624.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 12:56 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
I already do my best for my daughters education, I homeschool. for those subjects i cannot teach, i hire a tutor for my daughters.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:04 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Everyone who wonders what is wrong with education in America today need only read this to find the answer. How about one of the requirements to receive government assistance, to support you and your child, is that you have to attend school meetings about your child? No, that won't cover all the AWOL parents, some do receive no government assistance, but at least if we are paying people to raise their own kids they can play lip service to parenting.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:56 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,048,136 times
Moynihan warned about these kind of policies decades ago, they sometimes create more problems than solve them.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Moynihan warned about these kind of policies decades ago, they sometimes create more problems than solve them.
No "sometimes" here..they DID create some major problems.

The more the parents didn't step up the more the schools felt they had to.
The more the schools stepped up to take over what parents didn't, the less the parents did.

I've had parents tell me.."You're the teacher, you take care of it" when it involved their child's behavior

Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No "sometimes" here..they DID create some major problems.

The more the parents didn't step up the more the schools felt they had to.
The more the schools stepped up to take over what parents didn't, the less the parents did.
Well let me ask you, since Moynihan and others saw this coming decades ago, why does it seem like their reports have been buried?

I know Moynihan caught a lot of flack at the time it came out, but now after seeing the situation with the schools in Virginia, Florida and now Chicago, why does it seem that talking about Moynihan's and other reports is almost taboo?

Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Well let me ask you, since Moynihan and others saw this coming decades ago, why does it seem like their reports have been buried?

I know Moynihan caught a lot of flack at the time it came out, but now after seeing the situation with the schools in Virginia, Florida and now Chicago, why does it seem that talking about Moynihan's and other reports is almost taboo?
For the same reason that test scores broken down by race have been buried and not talked about.
NCLB didn't work. 10 years of data show the same outcome.

But now with RTT the truth comes out and you have seen the cries of racism and discrimination hitting the press.

But no one will admit NCLB didn't work. NCLB is still on the books.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
For the same reason that test scores broken down by race have been buried and not talked about.
NCLB didn't work. 10 years of data show the same outcome.

But now with RTT the truth comes out and you have seen the cries of racism and discrimination hitting the press.

But no one will admit NCLB didn't work. NCLB is still on the books.
The only way to make everyone feel good is to throw out standards and dumb everyone down.

I don't know how they're doing it, but some Asian American communities seem to be resisting this process.

A while back, I posted that I won't knock people for homeschooling, but now I'm starting to think homeschooling may be running away.

There is no running away from the forces that want to destroy middle income & working America.

The 2 communities I mentioned above will be critical in preventing the US from falling into idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies