Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 03:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

These are food companies. There is not a high margin in the restaurant business.
Some folks think anyone who owns a business is up there in the 1% and that couldn't be further from the truth.

Small business told you it would hurt them.
You ignored them.

And franchises are run as independent companies so they are considered small businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
These are food companies. There is not a high margin in the restaurant business.
Some folks think anyone who owns a business is up there in the 1% and that couldn't be further from the truth.

Small business told you it would hurt them.
You ignored them.

And franchises are run as independent companies so they are considered small businesses.
Many of them are barely scraping by. I have a friend who owns three restaurants. Trust me, they are NOT in the top 10% let alone 1%. They make a decent middle class living and THAT is with the family working the restaurants. They'd be in the red if they paid someone else to run them so what they're really earning is a salary as managers and it's not much looking at the hours they work.

What I find, inherently, unfair is someone who owns say 5 franchises has to pay for health care while someone who only owns one doesn't. If one franchise cannot generate the income needed to pay for health care for it's employees, neither can 5.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:21 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
We just heard that very thing over on another thread about Papa John's, Olive Garden, etc.

You going to boycott Walmart too ? They raised premiums and dropped plans.
Soon we'll be boycotting everyone, lol. Then we can all hang out in the unemployment line together.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
We just heard that very thing over on another thread about Papa John's, Olive Garden, etc.

You going to boycott Walmart too ? They raised premiums and dropped plans.
If you play politics for business, you will get favors returned.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Then why do we need obamacare? LOL If it's already done, what's the issue??? Talk about shooting down your own point, lol. The problem is they AREN'T currently paying for their employees health insurance. That's why they're trying to pass a law telling them they have to.

Let me type this SLOWLY.......The owners cost is per gas station. Each one needs 6 employees to run it. However, he will still have to cover them because he, likely, doesn't own just one. However, costs need to be calculated per gas station because they all come with things like overhead and taxes. Most people who own a business that is frachised own more than one. That's dh's bosses problem. If they went per store, he'd be fine. They don't. They look at the fact he owns a dozen stores. So he's selling them all. Got it?

I do find it interesting that the person who owns 6 must pay but the person who owns 1 doesn't have to. If one gas station cannot support paying for health care, what makes anyone thing 6 can individually? Kind of stupid if you ask me. This is, exactly, the problem dh's boss has. The stores cannot support paying for health care but his company is too big when you add them all together so he has to. This is such a well thought out plan... NOT!!!

Not all small business owners own 10 stores! Not all small businesses are stores! Get real here. Small businesses with less than 50 employees are EXEMPT. What about that don't you get? If you have chains of stores, then you aren't a friggen SMALL BUSINESS.

And I didn't say that all large businesses DO already have healthcare plans, I said they SHOULD. Large business has been avoiding benefits for low paying jobs for years already, by making their employees part time.

So how do you suggest they get their insurance, getting paid minimum wage? At least now they'll have a shot at it instead of all of us paying for it. You know, like we pay for yours, and all other government workers who are so quick to condemn because they're sitting pretty with their benefits we all pay.

I don't mind paying 25 cents more for a chain meal if it helps someone. If I don't feel like it, I'll patronize a small business that doesn't have a plethora of employees. It's not rocket science.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:19 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I think this is a good idea. Now people will see exactly the cost of Obama Care in terms of jobs and to their bottom line. If the costs are EXPOSED... only then will people begin to see the inherent problems with the legislation
I thought the employer mandated costs kicked in 2014. What are the 0bamaCare mandates that go into effect in 2013 to cause prices to go up now? Is it the 30 hour rule?

Old 11-15-2012, 04:20 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I think this is a good idea. Now people will see exactly the cost of Obama Care in terms of jobs and to their bottom line. If the costs are EXPOSED... only then will people begin to see the inherent problems with the legislation
I think its a bad idea. A bunch of my family are small business owners and they never do anything to reveal their politics. Picking sides in politics as a business owner just alienates customers and clients.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have health insurance. I have an adult daughter who doesn't, and another who won't once she turns 26. You think I don't care? Of course I care. I just don't think Obamacare or universal healthcare is the answer.
Wait. You mean to tell me you have your daughter on YOUR plan! I'm shocked, I say, shocked. I thought all you RWs thought that was a terrible thing, to put young adult kids on the parents' insurance? How many threads/posts have we had about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What?? I'm sorry, but you were not. You were talking about a gas station that had 6 employees. Now he magically owns 6 other gas stations?

Regardless, that's a ridiculous assumption. Please give me some numbers on how many business owners own more than one business.

And again, if you have more than 50 employees, like a grocery store chain, then it's likely that you already have a system in place - or you have a system of part time workers in order to avoid paying benefits, which is a known workaround for large retail employers already.
Even with 6 gas stations with 6 employees each, that's still only 36. He'd have to have 9 to go over 50!

Old 11-15-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Not all small business owners own 10 stores! Not all small businesses are stores! Get real here. Small businesses with less than 50 employees are EXEMPT. What about that don't you get? If you have chains of stores, then you aren't a friggen SMALL BUSINESS.
No that is not completely correct.

Small businesses with less then 50 full time employees are exempt.
The IRS defined full time as 30 hours per week.

That restricts further which businesses are exempt.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I thought the employer mandated costs kicked in 2014. What are the 0bamaCare mandates that go into effect in 2013 to cause prices to go up now? Is it the 30 hour rule?
The IRS will use a 12 month look back to verify full time/part time status.
Employer taxes go up next year.
W-2 reporting has to be changed too and that will add to employer expense.
People can start enrolling in the pools next October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies