Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we go over the fiscal cliff?
I lean conservative, and I say we should. 55 56.12%
I lean conservative, and I say we should not, even if it means Obama gets the credit. 8 8.16%
I lean liberal, and I say we should. 24 24.49%
I lean liberal, and we should not, even if Obama doesn't get everything he wants. 11 11.22%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:27 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,931,403 times

Advertisements

Well if you want to look like Europe, I say go for it.

BBC News - Violent clashes as austerity protests grip EU cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,873,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Chances are if a mother and father cannot afford to buy groceries, then they aren't making income at the relevant brackets to be affected by these tax increases, save for a 2% payroll increase.
You read wayyy too far into what I was trying to say.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

It's going to happen sooner or later, why not stop the spending now and let the civil unrest ensue?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,618,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
It's going to happen sooner or later, why not stop the spending now and let the civil unrest ensue?
If you've ever lived in a country where massive civil unrest exist, you probably wouldn't say that. Bodies in the street and all that unpleasantness. The US is divided almost 50/50 and the differences are partisan and absolute. Frankly, we as a nation are on a hair trigger at this point in our history. Running off the fiscal cliff would be lighting the fuse and pouring gasoline on the fire. Nobody should wish chaos and anarchy on their nation. For whatever reason. Remember, as we go, so goes the world.

Last edited by mohawkx; 11-15-2012 at 11:55 AM..

Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,868,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Isn't that the American Left's dream

Old 11-15-2012, 11:49 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,868,796 times
Quote:
Civil unrest will not occur for $200 billion in federal cuts, half of which come from a bloated defense budget, out of $3.7 trillion in federal spending. Sorry, I just don't see it.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:52 AM

30,570 posts, read 21,744,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Fiscal cliff = taxes go up for everybody. Defense spending is drastically cut.
Let it rip. The politicians can't do it so let it kick in.

Independant Centrist here so no vote.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
If you've ever lived in a country where massive civil unrest exist, you probably wouldn't say that. Bodies in the street and all that. The US is divided almost 50/50 and the differences are partisan and absolute. Frankly, we as a nation are on a hair trigger at this point in our history. Running off the fiscal cliff would be lighting the fuse and pouring gasoline on the fire. Nobody should wish chaos and anarchy on their nation. For whatever reason. Remember, as we go, so goes the world.
Hey, our monetary and fiscal policy brought us here, and as they say, "don't write a check your ass can't cash" - Boy, we've written a lot of checks...

Like I said, it's going to happen, default and investment crash is looming, why not unplug the printing press, roll up our sleeves, and sacrifice our standard of living long enough to fix this damn thing?

There's no other way to fix this.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Civil unrest will not occur for $200 billion in federal cuts, half of which come from a bloated defense budget, out of $3.7 trillion in federal spending. Sorry, I just don't see it.
I'm talking about the real fiscal cliff looming, not this little debt symptom.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:12 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,618,062 times
Quote:
Hey, our monetary and fiscal policy brought us here, and as they say, "don't write a check your ass can't cash" - Boy, we've written a lot of checks...

Like I said, it's going to happen, default and investment crash is looming, why not unplug the printing press, roll up our sleeves, and sacrifice our standard of living long enough to fix this damn thing?

There's no other way to fix this.
I respect your perspective and opinion on the situation but I just don't agree with your projections. My theory is that we have two options. We run off the fiscal cliff. When we do, we will spend the rest of the future more fractured than before. The blame game will rule and partisanship will divide us further. If we hold our nose and work together, then we've laid the groundwork for more bipartisanship and foster the spirit of working together. something this country despirately needs to do now and moving forward. JMO though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies