Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 05:48 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,208,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why should they be exempt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
We all know that those people don't have families! (sarcasm)
They are essential employees whose jobs. Buying a toaster oven from Target at midnight is not essential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
No they dont.

Most people have to sleep because those stores are having their workers work a mandatory 12 hour or 16 hour shift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How much do they have to sleep?
Forget 12 or 16 hour shifts. I have many friends who still work in retail and they've been forced to work TWENTY FOUR hour shifts between Thanksgiving evening and Black Friday night.

NJBest, if you have to start work at 8PM on Thanksgiving evening and work through the night, when do you think you would sleep???

Old 11-23-2012, 06:03 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,623,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magritte25 View Post
i think it is a disgusting show of consumerism, greed and anti-worker relations. I wish retail workers would get together and unionize to stave off such gross misconduct by corporate america and it's feeders.
just like hostess!!!!! Hoo rah!

Old 11-23-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Forget 12 or 16 hour shifts. I have many friends who still work in retail and they've been forced to work TWENTY FOUR hour shifts between Thanksgiving evening and Black Friday night.

NJBest, if you have to start work at 8PM on Thanksgiving evening and work through the night, when do you think you would sleep???
Your friends?

I call complete and total utter bull****, on 24 hour shifts.

Only companies doing this are large corporatations. These large corporations have a thing called HR department and HR policies, and in the fear of dumb lower level management decisionmaking abilities. They have policies beyond unreasonable working hours, in fear of havin the National Labor Relations Board, and massive lawsuits, being brought about.

Anyone working 24 hour shifts, volunteered to take someone elses shift, likely not to the managers knowledge.

-Coming form a guy that worked as a manager in similar field for years... and has had unusual 24 hour operations, and had to do the staffing.

I am sure there was some overtime hours, but even then its unlikely since most of these companies hate to pay overtime. I doubt the majority of all these employees even work more then 50 hours a week. this "work week" for them.

We get it, you disprove of people working long hours around holidays, but I wouldn't start lieing...

Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Your friends?

I call complete and total utter bull****, on 24 hour shifts.
Go right ahead. I know what I say is fact and I have no reason to lie.

Quote:
Only companies doing this are large corporatations. These large corporations have a thing called HR department and HR policies, and in the fear of dumb lower level management decisionmaking abilities. They have policies beyond unreasonable working hours, in fear of havin the National Labor Relations Board, and massive lawsuits, being brought about.
You'd think so. However, HR policies and departments can't do much if someone doesn't complain about it. Which no one did because they needed their jobs.

Quote:
Anyone working 24 hour shifts, volunteered to take someone elses shift, likely not to the managers knowledge.
Not true. They were told they had to stay because they were shorthanded and if they left, they wouldn't have a job to come back to. They left our Thanksgiving dinner early to go to work for 9PM and did not clock out until 9PM the next night. There was no volunteering, they were commanded to do so.

Quote:
-Coming form a guy that worked as a manager in similar field for years... and has had unusual 24 hour operations, and had to do the staffing.

I am sure there was some overtime hours, but even then its unlikely since most of these companies hate to pay overtime. I doubt the majority of all these employees even work more then 50 hours a week. this "work week" for them.

We get it, you disprove of people working long hours around holidays, but I wouldn't start lieing...

Again, I don't care if you believe me or not. I know it's the truth and I know how companies don't follow the law and coerce their employees into not reporting it. You are living in a fantasy land if you think this doesn't happen.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,826,909 times
Walmart pays my imaginary friend $48 an hour. He is very happy.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:23 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,145,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Walmart pays my imaginary friend $48 an hour. He is very happy.
Are you ever going to produce those statistics on the military being more dangerous than those other jobs?

Old 11-23-2012, 07:29 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,826,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Are you ever going to produce those statistics on the military being more dangerous than those other jobs?
That is obvious to everyone but the biggest dimwit.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:35 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,145,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
That is obvious to everyone but the biggest dimwit.
So, that would be a "no?"

Old 11-23-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Go right ahead. I know what I say is fact and I have no reason to lie.

You'd think so. However, HR policies and departments can't do much if someone doesn't complain about it. Which no one did because they needed their jobs.

Not true. They were told they had to stay because they were shorthanded and if they left, they wouldn't have a job to come back to. They left our Thanksgiving dinner early to go to work for 9PM and did not clock out until 9PM the next night. There was no volunteering, they were commanded to do so.

Again, I don't care if you believe me or not. I know it's the truth and I know how companies don't follow the law and coerce their employees into not reporting it. You are living in a fantasy land if you think this doesn't happen.
Fear of losing a job? Now I know you are full of ****.

Once again HR departments, in the large corporations its hard to get fired. Unless you steal, fight threaten an employee, or stop showing up several days in a row without calling you will not get fired.

There is generally a 4 step firing process where you need 4 fully documented steps signed by the employee for each infraction. Some offenses won't even escalate to a step. Also if you have a history of not enforcing a rule on all people the one person can claim discrimination, if the company follows through anyways its grounds for a lawsuit.

If a company fires an employee for not showing up to a non-scheduled shift, in an unusual time, which would be in violation of the companies own policy. HR would flip their crap, write up management, possibly terminate, but they likely have a documentation process as well. It would open up the company to a lawsuit, and horrible bad press, especially with the bad press they are already getting.

What happened...

Your friend, is helping a friend and working a double voluntarily.

Your friend has no backbone and was asked would you volunteer, and said yes, because they because they never say no.

Your friend wanted the extra money and would rather work then spend time with family or is trying to impress management with dedication and volunteered to work.

Your friend is a drama queen(possible since its your friend) and thrives of drama to the point of creating it, by volunteering to work.

If this is all false, call up a lawyer, your "friend" has the grounds for a lawsuit and will likely bee a $100,000-anier for the company violating their own policies as they will try to settle out of court to avoid bad press.

Greed drives the world, company wants money, employee wants money. Being short an employee costs the company less then badpress and a lawsuit.

Company will do what it does to make more money.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies