Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You referring to the retailers or the shoppers?
If you think about it, one is just as greedy as the other.
A symbiotic relationship.
They both repulse me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 08:16 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
As a former retail employee and a wife of another former retail employee, neither of us had a "passion for providing the best shopping experience". We worked hard, we were kind and thoughtful to customers, etc. But it certainly wasn't a passion. Especially when we were both forced to work holidays and spend time away from our families so people could buy an iPad on Thanksgiving night. It's a complete crock.
That's kind of odd. I couldn't fathom working in an industry that I didn't have passion for. Were you in it for the money? At least you got paid on Thanksgiving, satisfying that goal.

You had a different kind of conflict of interest. You and your employer didn't have the same goals. That's not going to make for good collaboration.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:31 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's kind of odd. I couldn't fathom working in an industry that I didn't have passion for. Were you in it for the money? At least you got paid on Thanksgiving, satisfying that goal.

You had a different kind of conflict of interest. You and your employer didn't have the same goals. That's not going to make for good collaboration.
You can't "fathom that?" Apparently this will come as a great shock, but most people do not work in industries for which they have a "passion." For most, a job is strictly a means to an end. We need money to survive. To earn money, we must work. I know people who would do what they do, regardless what it paid. Most would not. If most of us won that $325 million Powerball drawing, we would immediately stop working. A few of us would not and would keep working in the jobs we do.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
You can't "fathom that?" Apparently this will come as a great shock, but most people do not work in industries for which they have a "passion." For most, a job is strictly a means to an end. We need money to survive. To earn money, we must work. I know people who would do what they do, regardless what it paid. Most would not. If most of us won that $325 million Powerball drawing, we would immediately stop working. A few of us would not and would keep working in the jobs we do.
An almost comical response. I don't support the stores being open through the traditional Thanksgiving meal. To my knowledge, almost no stores were.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:44 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
An almost comical response. I don't support the stores being open through the traditional Thanksgiving meal. To my knowledge, almost no stores were.
I said nothing about the issue of being open on Thanksgiving, which makes your response particularly odd.

I did, however, address the fact that you find it perplexing that someone would work in an industry for which they lack passion. Frankly, that's even odder than your response to me above. You really cannot understand that most people work in fields for which they lack passion?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I said nothing about the issue of being open on Thanksgiving, which makes your response particularly odd.

I did, however, address the fact that you find it perplexing that someone would work in an industry for which they lack passion. Frankly, that's even odder than your response to me above. You really cannot understand that most people work in fields for which they lack passion?
Yes, I called your response almost comical. The sheer idea of people working an industry they don't have passion for and then complaining about it.

You suggested their goal is to make money to survive. Working on Thanksgiving supports that goal.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:05 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
My passion is for building energy-efficient homes that work with the environment.

There are few customers in this economy able to buy them or competitively build them when foreclosures have driven the price of existing homes significantly below the cost of materials let alone labor and a modest profit.

Most people working in retail and other service jobs are working there because that is where the majority of jobs are found. It is not because it is their passion.

Many people pursue their passions as hobbies funded by the job they do to make a living and meet the financial and personal needs of their family.

For most people obligations to one's family takes priority over personal career passions.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
My passion is for building energy-efficient homes that work with the environment.

There are few customers in this economy able to buy them or competitively build them when foreclosures have driven the price of existing homes significantly below the cost of materials let alone labor and a modest profit.

This just means that you haven't developed a product that works or you're manufacturing & supply side needs to be improved. Why not be innovative and develop cheaper materials that are energy-efficient? Going in that direction makes you Henry Ford. Just saying that the market cannot afford it as it is now and moving onto something else makes you a minimum wage retail employee.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:58 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Fear of losing a job? Now I know you are full of ****.
Why would I be full of **** about a person with a family being afraid of losing their job? Again, you show your utter lack of knowledge about workers' plight with such nonsensical statements.

Quote:
Once again HR departments, in the large corporations its hard to get fired. Unless you steal, fight threaten an employee, or stop showing up several days in a row without calling you will not get fired.

There is generally a 4 step firing process where you need 4 fully documented steps signed by the employee for each infraction. Some offenses won't even escalate to a step. Also if you have a history of not enforcing a rule on all people the one person can claim discrimination, if the company follows through anyways its grounds for a lawsuit.

If a company fires an employee for not showing up to a non-scheduled shift, in an unusual time, which would be in violation of the companies own policy. HR would flip their crap, write up management, possibly terminate, but they likely have a documentation process as well. It would open up the company to a lawsuit, and horrible bad press, especially with the bad press they are already getting.
Not when you work in PA - an at will state.

Quote:
What happened...

Your friend, is helping a friend and working a double voluntarily.

Your friend has no backbone and was asked would you volunteer, and said yes, because they because they never say no.

Your friend wanted the extra money and would rather work then spend time with family or is trying to impress management with dedication and volunteered to work.

Your friend is a drama queen(possible since its your friend) and thrives of drama to the point of creating it, by volunteering to work.

If this is all false, call up a lawyer, your "friend" has the grounds for a lawsuit and will likely bee a $100,000-anier for the company violating their own policies as they will try to settle out of court to avoid bad press.

Greed drives the world, company wants money, employee wants money. Being short an employee costs the company less then badpress and a lawsuit.

Company will do what it does to make more money.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

As I said earlier, if you don't think abuse of power and threatening of employees happens in retail you are living in a fantasy land. You can throw out all the personal attacks and nastiness you'd like, it doesn't change the facts.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:00 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:

We were "in it" because we needed jobs. I find it impossible to fathom being unable to understand that sometimes a job is just a job and not a passion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies