Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 10:42 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times

Advertisements

Have you ever thought that this might actually have been done to help black friday retail employees?

Every year they have been left out in the chance to buy $5 toaster overns. NOW if there store opens at 4am, they can go to a blackfriday doorbuster deal at another shift before they go to the one at their store.

I think the retailers might have done this to truley help out the employee... not affect them. You should apologize to retailers and their good intentions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 10:45 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You haven't explained who will attend to a car accident on Thanksgiving afternoon if no one is on duty in the police dept, fire dept, EMT and hospitals.
One of our innovative entrepreneurs who has the foresight to create their own private police force will respond, and quicker than those government-run police forces, no less.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:46 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Retail is not essential to the running of a society. I suppose if your average retail worker had the power, money and clout Martha Stewart has they wouldn't complain either.

I don't know what your industry is, so I can't comment on that.
Here's better examples:

Football is not essential to the running of the society. But all the people behind the scenes of the Detroit Lions game had to work. Because that's the calling of the industry.

Washing dishes is not essential to the running of the society. But all the help who washed dishes after families at their Thanksgiving meals had to work. Because that's the calling of the industry.

Dancing is not essential to the running of the society. But all the people who danced in the Thanksgiving parade had to work. Because that's the calling of the industry.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Have you ever thought that this might actually have been done to help black friday retail employees?

Every year they have been left out in the chance to buy $5 toaster overns. NOW if there store opens at 4am, they can go to a blackfriday doorbuster deal at another shift before they go to the one at their store.

I think the retailers might have done this to truley help out the employee... not affect them. You should apologize to retailers and their good intentions.

LOL Thanks for the laugh!

Old 11-23-2012, 10:50 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
One of our innovative entrepreneurs who has the foresight to create their own private police force will respond, and quicker than those government-run police forces, no less.
Ohhhh ok. Silly me! Thanks for clearing that up for me comet!

Old 11-23-2012, 10:51 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
You haven't explained who will attend to a car accident on Thanksgiving afternoon if no one is on duty in the police dept, fire dept, EMT and hospitals.
#1 - I see absolutely zero reason why the police need to attend the scene of a car accident, and no a police report should not be neccesary in order to collect damages in court.

#2 - many EMT and ambulance services are privately run, and if those companies wish to have their employees work on the holiday, then that is their perogative to do so, just as it is Walmart's. I can guarantee you that those employees will be paid well for their time because they have a skill and not anybody off the street can do the job - it is not like being a Walmart associate.

Volunteer EMT groups and fire departments also exist - and they would be willing to serve on the holiday. Do you ever see a soup kitchen, homeless shelter, or food bank not operated on a holiday? Volunteers fulfill their duties - because it is a choice that they have made.

#3. The medical profession is another field in which volunteers who are trained would gladly donate time to give an overworked doctor or nurse a few hours with their families.

All these people who you call essential have one thing in common with a Walmart associate - they chose their jobs and knew what the hours would be like.

So what is the problem with Walmart asking its employees to work a holiday when they knew months or weeks in advanced that doing so came with the paycheck?

We are discussing free market decisions here - not your illusionary involuntary servitude.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:05 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Why do liberals want to control what everybody does?

Aren't you the people always championing "choice"?

An employee chooses to work for an employer, and an employer chooses to employ that individual. A free will contract means that if either is unhappy with the other - both are free to terminate the relationship.

If Walmart employees are so unhappy with Walmart- why don't they hit the job trail and find other employment?

"Oh, we work day - and their is no time!" - practically every retail associate works at least one weekend day, which means that they have time on that day to job hunt and interview. "Oh, we work grave and/or have a family to run and kids to raise". Get by with less sleep if Walmart sucks so much, and budget your time, and get some help with the kids or doing household functions such as grocery shopping.

Once again - no one is forced to work for Walmart. If you hate it - then get out.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
I don't name names on City Data - my name, friends, loved ones, company names etc.
Oh...so these people didn't work at one of the BIG retailers that everybody loves to hate, but small, easily located independent stores??
And more than one store since you said many of your friends (or do two out of all 3 constitute the many)
Guess that big corporate greed did a trickle down..........or you were fibbing.

Last edited by old_cold; 11-23-2012 at 11:45 AM..

Old 11-23-2012, 12:24 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why do liberals want to control what everybody does?

Aren't you the people always championing "choice"?

An employee chooses to work for an employer, and an employer chooses to employ that individual. A free will contract means that if either is unhappy with the other - both are free to terminate the relationship.

True however consider this....

Scenerio 1---Man goes to the boss and says " I need a raise please?" Boss replies "I hired you to do this job for $10 a hour and that is what you get".

Scenerio 2--- Boss goes up to man and says " please take this to the post office". Man replies "you hired me to do the stocking for $10 a hour, going to the post office is not in our agreement". Boss probably says to him "you are fired".

Old 11-23-2012, 12:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
True however consider this....

Scenerio 1---Man goes to the boss and says " I need a raise please?" Boss replies "I hired you to do this job for $10 a hour and that is what you get"..
Man knows he's worth more than $10/hr and gets a job elsewhere paying more.

OR

Man isn't worth more than $10/hr and stays put.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

Scenerio 2--- Boss goes up to man and says " please take this to the post office". Man replies "you hired me to do the stocking for $10 a hour, going to the post office is not in our agreement". Boss probably says to him "you are fired".
Man trues to get job elsewhere for what they are worth. Has to explain why he wasn't a team player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies