Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 12:23 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
There are some areas in NJ where places are closed on Sunday, it is highly annoying when you need to run an errand or something. No need to be closed for a day "just because" there really is not a benefit to it, it was originally done for religious reasons and there is no need to continue that.
I agree.
This whole concept that one day is more special than another day is totally made up in people's heads.
I have worked every day of the week, every holiday at one point or another, etc, since I was 16 years old (movie theaters are never closed). Interestingly, I have never been 'bonused' for it, like many people are for covering those days.
I also love how people are so protective of their holidays but they insist that emergency personnel be available to them 24/7/365.
Ok, it's xmas. So? There are millions of people of different religions who could give a ##$#$'s ass. I happen to love xmas and Thanksgiving in particular, but I can see how to many other people, it's just another day. And you know what happens when I have to work those days? We move our celebration a day to the left or right. As long as we're together, who cares? It's a different day on the other side of the world anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 12:25 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree.
This whole concept that one day is more special than another day is totally made up in people's heads.
I have worked every day of the week, every holiday at one point or another, etc, since I was 16 years old (movie theaters are never closed). Interestingly, I have never been 'bonused' for it, like many people are for covering those days.
I also love how people are so protective of their holidays but they insist that emergency personnel be available to them 24/7/365.
Ok, it's xmas. So? There are millions of people of different religions who could give a ##$#$'s ass. I happen to love xmas and Thanksgiving in particular, but I can see how to many other people, it's just another day. And you know what happens when I have to work those days? We move our celebration a day to the left or right. As long as we're together, who cares? It's a different day on the other side of the world anyway.
Well said. Personally I have always thought that was one of the benefits of having a more diverse country. Plenty of other people in almost every job out there that can go to work on a major holiday to cover for the rest of us, and it can and should work the other way around too.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
There are some areas in NJ where places are closed on Sunday, it is highly annoying when you need to run an errand or something. No need to be closed for a day "just because" there really is not a benefit to it, it was originally done for religious reasons and there is no need to continue that.
Too true. The world is a much different place than it was even 50 years ago, when much of the US had "blue laws" dictating who could be open when. Far fewer people work normal "business hours" now, and way fewer "housewives" stay home all day so they can run errands and take care of all the household business during said hours.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Why not?

Old 11-25-2012, 01:54 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Too bad they aren't unionized......they would have a contract to protect them from things like this.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'll bet there are many employee's who would be willing to work for the additional extra money they will get by working on a holiday.

Maybe some people need to realize not every American thinks those days are special and sacrosanct.....
That's the trouble with this country. We put money and useless crap over family and our fellow neighbors. I refuse to shop retail on thanksgiving for just that reason. Although I might go grab a last minute ingredient at the grocery store that I forgot. (Haven't had to do that in years). But I try to get that dealt with on Wednesday night.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Too bad they aren't unionized......they would have a contract to protect them from things like this.
The airlines were operating on Thanksgiving day..they are unionized.
The trains were operating on Thanksgiving day..they are unionized.

Fire/EMS/Police work on Thanksgiving day..they are unionized.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

To add, some nurses are unionized, particularly in hospitals where they work 24/7.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:11 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

And working Thanksgiving wasn't forced upon them at the whim of their employers.....working Thanksgiving was negotiated and agreed upon ahead of time.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:22 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why not?
Because your religious beliefs shouldn't dictate when I can go to the grocery store, go to home depot, get a beer, or buy a book. Nor should your religious beliefs reduce the number of hours an employee can work or a business can be open in order to serve their customers.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Run your errand another day. It won't kill you.

And yea..there is a benefit to it. A day off is always a benefit. It doesn't need to have anything to do with religion. This country can afford to shut down for a damn day, and it needs to be shut down for a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies