Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You can really work things like that out without a middle man getting a cut of your paycheck.
Yea, we see how well that worked out for the employees of Walmart, Target, etc. Apparently, rules surrounding working Thanksgiving weren't worked out and agreed to in advance, were they?

When work rules are decided in an "every man for himself" manner, then you better hope you are on your manager's good side or you are out of luck. He can just pick and choose who he wants to work....for whatever reason he feels like.

So much for you trying to make any plans for your time off.....since you will never know for sure when that will be.

"Yea, I know I said you could have xxxx day off.....but that was before so and so asked me for that day off.....and I changed my mind.....too bad for you.".......... "What are you going to do about it? If you don't like it.....you can quit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 07:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yea, we see how well that worked out for the employees of Walmart, Target, etc. Apparently, rules surrounding working Thanksgiving weren't worked out and agreed to in advance, were they?

When work rules are decided in an "every man for himself" manner, then you better hope you are on your manager's good side or you are out of luck. He can just pick and choose who he wants to work....for whatever reason he feels like.

So much for you trying to make any plans for your time off.....since you will never know for sure when that will be.

"Yea, I know I said you could have xxxx day off.....but that was before so and so asked me for that day off.....and I changed my mind.....too bad for you.".......... "What are you going to do about it? If you don't like it.....you can quit."
How do you know ? Whiners are going to whine regardless. What if they had no seniority or were hired for the shopping season ?

You are assuming here that you know how Walmart operates.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
You can really work things like that out without a middle man getting a cut of your paycheck.
Don't forget..these are the same people that want the FedGov to give them better jobs with better pay.
So I guess these same people need a union to ask for a day off for them.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:24 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Don't forget..these are the same people that want the FedGov to give them better jobs with better pay.
So I guess these same people need a union to ask for a day off for them.

Well maybe if Walmart paid a living wage these people wouldn't have to survive on food stamps and Medicaid. The taxpayers are in effect subsidizing Walmart, which made $15 billion in profit last year.

Wal-Mart Welfare How taxpayers subsidize the world's largest retailer. by Jenna Wright

Daily Kos: Walmart: America's real 'Welfare Queen'

Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Well maybe if Walmart paid a living wage these people wouldn't have to survive on food stamps and Medicaid. The taxpayers are in effect subsidizing Walmart, which made $15 billion in profit last year.

Wal-Mart Welfare How taxpayers subsidize the world's largest retailer. by Jenna Wright

Daily Kos: Walmart: America's real 'Welfare Queen'
Please explain to me how a living wage works, I have the following questions:

1. Does a single working mother with 2 kids get a higher wage than a single working mother with 1 kid if they both work just as hard?
2. Does a single woman that has a new car and lives in an expensive apartment get a higher wage than a single woman that has an old car with no payments and lives at home with her parents?
3. Does an employee with huge student loan debt get a higher wage than an employee that didn't go to school and has no debt or isn't currently paying for school?
4. What happens if one of the single parents has a child that turns 18 and gets their own job and is now out on their own, does the parent get a cut in pay?
5. Who should pay the difference for the extra labor costs that these wage increases? You the consumer, or should the employer take in less profit now?

Assume all of these people work equally as hard and in the same positions, how do you calculate their "livable wage" for them?

Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post

1. Does a single working mother with 2 kids get a higher wage than a single working mother with 1 kid if they both work just as hard?
2. Does a single woman that has a new car and lives in an expensive apartment get a higher wage than a single woman that has an old car with no payments and lives at home with her parents?
3. Does an employee with huge student loan debt get a higher wage than an employee that didn't go to school and has no debt or isn't currently paying for school?
4. What happens if one of the single parents has a child that turns 18 and gets their own job and is now out on their own, does the parent get a cut in pay?
5. Who should pay the difference for the extra labor costs that these wage increases? You the consumer, or should the employer take in less profit now?

Assume all of these people work equally as hard and in the same positions, how do you calculate their "livable wage" for them?
You won't get an answer. Talking points don't have any details. They are just repeated by their followers.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post

The same way the government does. It looks at an average family and has very moderate allowances for food and shelter.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:53 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
How do you know ? Whiners are going to whine regardless. What if they had no seniority or were hired for the shopping season ?

You are assuming here that you know how Walmart operates.
Yes, there are always a few whiners, but a few whiners don't normally make headlines across the country, do they?

Apparently, even the employees didn't know how Walmart was going to operate this Thanksgiving, did they? Hence the protests.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
You won't get an answer. Talking points don't have any details. They are just repeated by their followers.
While you on the other hand would apparently rather subsidize a wealthy corporation and the Walton family (whose members all together have as much wealth as the bottom 40 % of all Americans.)

I'd prefer to see Walmart pay their workers enough so they don't have to rely on public assistance even if it means the Waltons add a few less billions to their fortunes.

But, go ahead, support the rich.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
In 40+ years, I have only been represented by a labor union once, and I worked that job for about a year. I have had good supervisors and bad when it comes to "working things like that out". I'd give anything for a good set of work rules, union or no union.

Some of the non-union places I worked had policies such as, no more than a certain # of days off at Christmas so that everyone could get some time off; everyone has to work either Christmas or New Year's (in some places Thanksgiving was substituted for NY); etc.

Currently, my boss seems to follow "the squeaky wheel" theory, ie someone who kicks up a huge fuss will get what she wants, regardless of the circumstances. In fairness to her, she sometimes works an extra day herself to "keep the peace". But she knows who won't complain (too much anyway) and who will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies