Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

Advertisements

Well the American people have the solution in their hands. DON'T GO.

I can't see this happening so we don't have anyone to blame but oueselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Too bad they aren't unionized......they would have a contract to protect them from things like this.
Yep! Corporate greed is attempting to turn the USA work force into the western counterpart of China's. This is the stuff right wing wet dreams are made of. Demonizing unions, get rid of minimum wage, threatening to outsource, no health insurance. Good work America.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
It is funny how 90% of the population manages to survive without unions. The way you talk the entire country would collapse, people would be dropping dead from starvation and of disease if it weren't for the unions. Get a grip.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:35 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Back when I was a lad I used to be employed at places that required me to work on those days. This was in the late 80s and early 90s so I find it amusing that you state, "...how sad our society has been turned into." It's been this way for quite some time!

Anyway, I didn't really like working those days but at the same time I figured, "Hey, I have a job." As it turned-out, undesirable work days and hours (such as weekends and late at night) were one of the things that motivated me to study hard in college, graduate, and obtain employment with an employer that doesn't make me work on those days, on weekends, and late at night. I call it "the benefits of working hard and staying in school."

[that's a hint]
Great post.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
So much for "Family Values" hurry honey carve the turkey I've got to take a nap and get to work in an hour.

If there ever was a reason for a blue law.
So true Ovcatto,

In many nations stores close for Football (soccer) matches. Here our greed and consumerism keeps stores open on holiday called THANKSGIVING!

Typical American greed.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I've worked holidays, got time and a half plus holiday pay, no union.
Is that more valuable then spending time with Family?
Yes I know family can get annoying sometimes...

Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Retail employees fight "Black Friday creep" - CNN.com

Many large retail stores like Target, Walmart, Toys R Us, Sears, and KMart will be the first chain retail stores to be open early for "Black Friday" shopping on Thanksgiving Day at 8 pm. Some other retail chains will stay open for Thanksgiving too for the first time.

Employees are against it, because they will not be able to spend important and traditional holiday with their family, and must show up to work (even hours before opening). More than 100,000 people have signed petition to change it, so stores keep closed all day on Thanksgiving for quality of life for the employees.

The CEO's and higher-ups who makes the decision on when to open the stores are the ones' who won't be working on Thanksgiving & Black Friday. They'll be home with their families (May probably check sales hourly so they can calculate how much bonus they will be receiving), while the people who need their minimum wage jobs are the ones' who will be missing out on Thanksgiving with their families. It's an example of how the rich are messing up with the low-income people

^ This is ridiculous and very sad how our society has been turned into. Stores are only closed for 1 - 3 days per year (used to be even on more holidays), but now they try to take away those too.

Thank God the town I live in, stores cannot be open before 7 AM (Including Black Friday) and must close at 11 PM, even though some tried to fight for keeping them open at 5 AM, or earlier for Black Friday.
This is due to Quality of Life for residents, workers, and business owners'!

ALL retail employees deserves to be OFF and get paid for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day!

Solution.... Don't go. I hear what you're saying, and I find it ludicrous that people actually will line up outside in the cold hours before the store opens, and then trample and fight one another to save a few bucks! But, if that is what people want to do, then let them act like a bunch of fools.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,461 times
Keep in mind that Black Friday is not 'Time and Half' Paid since it's not a Holiday. I work 7 am - 7 pm next Friday with no extra pay, and only one 30 min lunch break .

BTW that's not the whole point... it's the importance of family Holiday!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Very few retailers offer double or triple pay anymore for Sundays or holidays.

Time-and-a-half is typical.
In New Jersey, and most other states; Sunday is not time-and-half pay, but holidays are (Not Black Friday though).

In Massachusetts, they do get paid time-and-half on Sundays by law.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Keep in mind that Black Friday is not 'Time and Half' Paid since it's not a Holiday. I work 7 am - 7 pm next Friday with no extra pay, and only one 30 min lunch break .

BTW that's not the whole point... it's the importance of family Holiday!
Simple solution - quit your job. You are CHOOSING to work at your job. I know you will say "I need the job." Well, life sucks sometimes and jobs are not easy to come by nowadays. Something tells me you voted to continue the status quo last week, so you have no room to complain (I haven't read enough of your posts to know your political beliefs, so I apologize if I am wrong).

You could probably try and trade shifts with a co-worker you know...

You could also get an education and be able to move beyond working retail (unless, of course, you are an underemployed college graduate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies