Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Would have to be, in San Antonio we have just gotten out from under drought restrictions....
When I lived in Puerto Rico, there were years when the rains didn't come and the dry season lasted longer than for the usual 3 months we've had our water supply completely cut off by AAA (Autoridad de Acuaductos y Alcantarilladores/Aqueducts and Sewers Authority) for days at a time to ease the pressure from the dams. Nobody outright owns water anywhere in the world. They can try, but ultimately it's a community resource that MUST be used responsibly, especially if you live in the southern U.S. (Puerto Rico included), the Plains, and the Mountain states. There is no constitutional right to water usage, never was and never will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
According to the OP, they do live in AZ. Now I'm wondering if OP is a transplant because out here in the Northeast water restrictions are virtually unknown thanks to our 40+ inches of rain a year evenly dispersed
Yes, I'm a transplant and am originally from the NE. I also patronize the local car wash.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Yes, I'm a transplant and am originally from the NE. I also patronize the local car wash.
Figures. You have to accept certain measures have to be taken to ensure the wells don't run dry. It's a fact of life, I'm glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. I don't mean offense or talking to you specifically, but people from the east coast have a hard time understanding that you can't be using so much water in states that don't rain a lot. I never use too much water myself because of habits I had to learn when I lived in Puerto Rico.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
I say just go ahead and ban non-native grass lawns in the SW.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Did I miss where it referenced droughts or drought restrictions? It's certainly reasonable to restrict water usage during times of drought.

From your link:

Stage Two restrictions begin when the aquifer level reaches 650 feet mean sea level at the monitored well.

"Residential washing of vehicles or other equipment is allowed only on assigned watering days and times. A hose with an automatic shut-off nozzle or bucket of five gallons or less may be used. Water should not be allowed to run into the street."

Thanks for the laugh!
I hope you are still laughing when Lake Mead and your other water sources dry up.

Currently Lake Mead:

* Lake Mead Water Levels

I get the feeling you have never washed a car in your driveway conscience of the fact no water can run into the street.....

Old 11-15-2012, 09:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
I can understand the logic behind the laws. Water runoff from sprinklers and washing your car goes directly into the storm drains which are not treated before entering the ocean 'downstream'. Dog waste, if left on lawns that are sprinklered regularly, would also enter the storm drain system. Untreated water in large amounts entering the ocean can be hazardous to one's health. The ocean water along urbanized coasts is not clean to begin with - why make it worse?

Besides dog waste in the yard is nasty. I recall working for the Southern California Gas Company and I often had to enter yards where dog waste would cover practically every square foot of the yard. An exaggerated condition, certainly, but it was gross.

[the only issue I have with the law(s) in question is enforcement - seems it would be impractical]

Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That won't be necessary. As water becomes more scare and/or expensive, I think people will naturally (no pun intended) convert their grass lawns to something more sustainable.

[drought tolerant landscaping will become the norm]

Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Could someone please show me where in the article it mentions drought conditions?

Quote:
I hope you are still laughing when Lake Mead and your other water sources dry up.
You might want to re-read what I laughed at.

Quote:
I get the feeling you have never washed a car in your driveway conscience of the fact no water can run into the street.....
You're making quite a few inaccurate assumptions tonight.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
There's nothing wrong in having a xeric landscape. I think it's very beautiful in its own ways that an east coast deciduous landscape can't match

Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Prisoner #1: I'm in for armed robbery, what are you in for ?
Prisoner #2: I left dog poop in my yard overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies