Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:35 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
First, let's be clear, I'm not a lefty.

Second, I don't care what the reviews say. Reviews don't cover every minute of every film now do they?

Third, find the film, watch it. It's in there. And then you owe me an apology because not only are you wrong, you're acting like a jerk about it all because you didn't like what you read. I know the topic of which I speak. I watched the film with the filmmakers. All you have is 'I read a review'.
So you don't care what the movie is about? LOL

You are screaming about AMERICAN gay hating evangelicals running around Uganda stirring up all this and the reviews said nothing of the sort. I stand by my comment, either the reviewers are lying or you are.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
wow, you are confused.

evangelicals are lefty kooks?

hahahahaha
No you are the one who is confused. Not a shock at all though as you appear that way most of the time on this board.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You are screaming about AMERICAN gay hating evangelicals running around Uganda stirring up all this and the reviews said nothing of the sort. I stand by my comment, either the reviewers are lying or you are.
I already posted proof of the evangelicals role is this, are you denying that they were indeed instrumental in stirring this up?

Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
The maker of the film, David Kato, was murdered last year. BBC News - Uganda gay rights activist David Kato killed I didn't know him but I know a friend of his who was born in and spent much of his life in Uganda although he is British. He's in the UK now and very sad that he can't go back to the country he calls his home. Fear of what might happen to him.
David wasn't actually the maker but he was the lead in the film and in the fight for equality. I note this only because the women put so much of themselves into it they deserve recognition too.

I didn't know him either but by the time you watch the film and listen to his films you feel like you do. It is sad that your friend can't go home. The truth is, I'm surprised so many stay and fight. I'm not sure I would. They have to fear going out and now staying home. Those that can often move in the middle of the night to a new home or neighborhood every so often out of fear their current neighbors are suspicious and may report them. The situation borders on madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I think if it bothers you, go there and protest, me i'll stay home and watch football.
There are many ways to protest and or bring about change.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
So you don't care what the movie is about? LOL

Well bless your heart.

I care what the movie is about. I know what it is about. Disagreeing with your spewing is no indication otherwise. I call it spewing because you're basing what you say on a review you read on the internet. Your arguments aren't credible.

And based on what you've said, I don't think you understand your own argument. Neither myself nor the reviewers have to be lying. It is not an either or scenario. Both of us can be right. They wrote a review. A review isn't a synopsis; it is nothing more than commentary on content.

Also, I'm not screaming. If I were screaming, I'd be typing in all caps like you. That's screaming online.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:14 AM

Just went and read another review and they mention nothing about Americans stirring up all this trouble in Uganda. Perhaps you should recant your rantings and I'll let it be.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Not our country, not our problem. We have no more reason to frick with the internal affairs of Uganda than we do Iran. Or Syria, Libya or Afghanistan.
It becomes our problem when US citizens are inciting to commit murder.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:24 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I guess Jebus would, whoever he is. Jesus would not.
I read posts from cd christians all day long, they all profess their hatred in subtle and overt ways.
Yes, ever one I've read on CD.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 AM

34 posts, read 28,883 times
KUChief

I have watched this film. It does have American evangelicals stirring up a mob. Perhaps you should watch the film. Perhaps you should review the substance of what a "film review" is. A film review is not a rehash of every frame of a film and important parts of it are often left out. For your edification from

dictionary.com: re·view   [ri-vyoo]
noun
1. a critical article or report, as in a periodical, on a book, play, recital, or the like; critique; evaluation.

From Yahoo best answers:

"A movie review is the opinion of someone who has seen a particular movie written in an article about that movie. Anyone can give a review, but you generally want to trust the reviews from people who know something about cinema or have similar tastes to you. Although, I have seen many films that have gotten good reviews from famous movie critics like Roger Ebert, and absolutely hated them. I have also seen films that my friends liked and thought that they were hunks of crap. The reviews in bigtime papers like the new york times or the chicago tribune are generally ok to trust tho."

There are many discussion that you can find on the internet about film reviews. You will find that none of them state that a review is a frame by frame description of what is in the film.

On the substance -- American evangelicals whipping up hatred toward gays in Uganda, there have been many other posts that contain the proof. I can only surmise that you are using faith-based logic to deny the truth.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Just went and read another review and they mention nothing about Americans stirring up all this trouble in Uganda. Perhaps you should recant your rantings and I'll let it be.
One last time, reviews are nothing more than opinions and overviews of films.

I bet your review mentioned the drag show they were having but did it mention the Christian preachers who went out and spewed hate at David's funeral just like Fred Phelps does? Only in their case, no one required them to wait outside the cemetery. They simply showed up and went to town. Did it mention David trying to come out to his mother and her lack of understanding of what he really meant? Or his friends that go visit and try to take care of her for him now? Probably not.

Recant what? The truth? No, I will not. And I will not let someone who is ignorant on the subject of which they speak shout me down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies