Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 04:47 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,317 times

Advertisements

I wish them success in their campaign. Many of them are in positions where theyd be probably better off just collecting unemployment and welfare like many of the other leeches in society. They are grinding away everyday doing the right thing, they work in the private sector for a remarkably profitable company, thus I fully support their unionizing efforts in this case. Wish them well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
http://www.redstate.com/laborunionre...age-increases/

"Given that union dues for most union members range from around 1.3% to 5% of pay, once union dues are deducted from members’ wages, the negotiated increases unions “achieved” for their members in 2011 are eaten up (and then some) by union dues."

Yeah. Maybe they'd get a raise that equals their union dues.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
why even work...when you can join the democrat party, and collect checks in the mail every month- thats what this election was about....nothing else seems to matter
and the ironic thing is,,the providers still get demonized

Old 11-17-2012, 05:06 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
No, the success of a company does not make an employee any more valuable. Why can't any of these underpaid overworked employees get jobs working at other retailers that pay a little more?

X job is worth X dollars... don't like it move on. Once X company cannot fill X job with X dollars, it becomes apparent that X job is probably worth Y dollars. So X company pays job as being worth Y dollars now.

I helped open up a location for a company in Orlando, we had to higher about 100 employees. This new location was much closer to Disney and Universal studios and the International drive. The mecca of low skilled jobs. We could not find employees at our standard rate of about $0.75 over min wage, eventually we had to pay about $2.50 over min wage to get enough people to come in.

Of course other locations felt they shoudl get the paid the same since it was in Orlando, and only 30-40 min drive away. Which we kindly gave them a transfer form to the new location, say they could used experienced employees, and I will put in a good word for you to become a shift lead.(slight raise even)

All of a sudden they want nothing to do with it?

People need to realize, you are not special, you are not different, you are not worth anything, despite what your kindergarden teacher and mother tell you.

You are only special, different, and worth anything when you make it and prove it, then you will be rewarded.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
No, the success of a company does not make an employee any more valuable. Why can't any of these underpaid overworked employees get jobs working at other retailers that pay a little more?

X job is worth X dollars... don't like it move on. Once X company cannot fill X job with X dollars, it becomes apparent that X job is probably worth Y dollars. So X company pays job as being worth Y dollars now.

I helped open up a location for a company in Orlando, we had to higher about 100 employees. This new location was much closer to Disney and Universal studios and the International drive. The mecca of low skilled jobs. We could not find employees at our standard rate of about $0.75 over min wage, eventually we had to pay about $2.50 over min wage to get enough people to come in.

Of course other locations felt they shoudl get the paid the same since it was in Orlando, and only 30-40 min drive away. Which we kindly gave them a transfer form to the new location, say they could used experienced employees, and I will put in a good word for you to become a shift lead.(slight raise even)

All of a sudden they want nothing to do with it?

People need to realize, you are not special, you are not different, you are not worth anything, despite what your kindergarden teacher and mother tell you.

You are only special, different, and worth anything when you make it and prove it, then you will be rewarded.

So the profitability of a company has nothing to do with its employees? Men like you are the reasons that Unions came into existance in the first place. And Im a Republican. . If man by nature wasnt greedy and selfish, Unions would never exist and nobody would know who they are.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:22 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I always experience very rude customer service at ever Wal-Mart I've been too... They deserve minimum wage. I'm a Democrat, but I'm rooting for Wal-Mart.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I always experience very rude customer service at ever Wal-Mart I've been too... They deserve minimum wage. I'm a Democrat, but I'm rooting for Wal-Mart.

Im rooting for your Apple options not to expire worthless

Old 11-17-2012, 05:32 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's in the employee training manual...be rude to customers.
WalMart has over 2 million employees. It was quite a feat to train them all to be obnoxious.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:29 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Lets say the workers are successful of getting a union what would be the reaction by Walmart. We know they will have a reaction due to the fact they strive to increase profit margins and decrease expenses. Some of the reaction might include these:

Walmart greeters, gone.
More registers open where customers self scan and bag and thus less workers.
Hire a temp staff for unloading merchandise and night stocking.
Hire a trucking company instead of their own drivers.
Instead of 1 worker in each dept they will have 2 depts.
Etc etc, ad nausem.

And then when it is all said and done and by time the workers pay their union dues they end up with a whole quarter a hour more. Man, they are in the union they are movers and shakers now

Old 11-17-2012, 07:51 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
If the union really tries, they may have the same success as they did with Eastern Airlines and Hostess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies