Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,548,368 times

Advertisements

Wow, I'm glad our current white house resident had the smarts to pull all our troops out of Iraq and leave us with no base there and no way to put any leverage on these nice, grateful people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 01:50 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,892,050 times
It won't happen. The last time they tried an embargo they damaged their own economies worse than ours so the Saudis won't allow it; it's just a meaningless political gesture which will get voted down. Besides, what exactly do you think having bases there would do? Make them work at gun point? Yeah, like that would happen.

Also, in a no doubt vain attempt to get pop your right wing media bubble, I'd like to point out that it was the Bush Administration who originally said they'd leave Iraq if they refused to give us a status of forces agreement. When the Iraqi government didn't do that what was Obama supposed to do? Ignore them and just say he'd leave American troops in legal limbo? No doubt you wing nuts would have been outraged by that too.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:52 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,136,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Wow, I'm glad our current white house resident had the smarts to pull all our troops out of Iraq and leave us with no base there and no way to put any leverage on these nice, grateful people.
Seriously? We invade them not once but twice and we expect them to be grateful?

Old 11-16-2012, 01:54 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,455,257 times
Quote:
Wow, I'm even more glad the previous White House resident handed the country over to the current Shia rulers at the cost of 4,000 Americans and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:55 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,105,746 times
Quote:
Obama did not pull out US troops.

Obama attempted to negotiate a Status of Forces Agreement and failed, and because he failed he was forced to withdraw US troops.

Historically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Also, in a no doubt vain attempt to get pop your right wing media bubble, I'd like to point out that it was the Bush Administration who originally said they'd leave Iraq if they refused to give us a status of forces agreement. When the Iraqi government didn't do that what was Obama supposed to do? Ignore them and just say he'd leave American troops in legal limbo? No doubt you wing nuts would have been outraged by that too.
You're wrong as usual.

The Bush Administration had a Status of Forces Agreement in place. That agreement ended December 31, 2011.

Obama attempted to negotiate a new Status of Forces Agreement, once that barred US troops from prosecuted in Iraqi courts for crimes against Iraqi people -- the legal concept is extra-territoriality --- see the US colonization of China when US military and civilian personnel could rape, murder and steal from Chinese at will....and not be prosecuted in Chinese courts....or in US courts.

There are threads here on C-D that discuss Obama's failure to negotiate a SOFA and the subsequent withdraw of US troops.

As I recall, Liberals attempted to deflect by claiming Obama was fulfilling a campaign promise.

If Obama was attempting to negotiate a SOFA through 2016, then he wasn't fulfilling a campaign promise.

More accurately....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Wow, I'm even more glad the previous White House resident handed the country over to the current Shia rulers at the cost of 4,000 Americans and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis.
Yes, but Iraqi oil is now sold in US Dollars instead of Euros.....at least for the time being.

You do like the Extravagant American Life-Styleâ„¢ do you not?

Then you should be glad those troops where willing to lie on the ground with their guts falling out screaming for their mommies.

War is Hell...

Mircea

Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times
Doesn't matter. We are on pace to be producing more oil then Saudi Arabia soon.

Iran is hurting from the sanctions we've put on them, and they are trying to wiggle a way out of them. Just a matter of time before they crack I think.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:05 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,118,730 times
Quote:
If you want a presence in Iraq I suggest you buy a plane ticket...

Old 11-16-2012, 03:07 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,118,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Get a grip man! Handing over rule saved lives it didn't lose them!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:09 PM

753 posts, read 726,585 times
Quote:
Gee, if only oil was a global commodity, then this wouldn't present a problem.

Oh, wait. It is a global commodity.

(aside from the silly worry that the House of Saud cares one whit what Iraq wants)

Old 11-16-2012, 03:10 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Get a grip man! Handing over rule saved lives not lost them!
I think he implied replacing a Sunni who was detested by Iranians with Shias, because we felt obligated to the Iraqis, and bought "democracy" for them using our credit card. Of course, leading to an obvious lunatic of a diplomat who is demanding (note, not requesting as the right wing non-thinkers manage to quote) action against the USA for siding with Israel).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies