Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 10:07 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yep. But the longer they spread these lies about "poor welfare slobs with their hands out" only/all voting Dem, the more truthful it apparently seems to them... facts are for schmucks, I guess!
Not only that, some of the highest rates of welfare receipt are in rural poor areas, particularly in the rural South, in Republican states strangely enough.

I mentioned Mississippi, Louisiana, and West Virginia. Apart from you, I haven't heard from anyone else about this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I think that may chnage sonner than thoguht. Its Illonsis that leads the antion in debt problems. They are the first ever to pass bonds to fund general governamnt spending. It was ointed out byt the experts i the state of the state hearings in congress by exsperts.They alos pointed out that California by its constitution ups all bondholder first i payments which si why they are likely to be able to borrow for sometime at reasonable rates. the same can't be said for Illonsis which we likely see rates soar eventually.,

Old 11-23-2012, 12:55 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Obama & the Dems must be so proud.
California has a larger population than many countries, let alone the biggest state. It's a numbers game. Try going for percentage of population next time. Also everyone knows Arnold tanked the economy.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:57 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Not only that, some of the highest rates of welfare receipt are in rural poor areas, particularly in the rural South, in Republican states strangely enough.

I mentioned Mississippi, Louisiana, and West Virginia. Apart from you, I haven't heard from anyone else about this subject.
Exactly. Red States take far more from the fed than they give back. Who's the takers and who are the makers now? That's what I thought.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:24 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
From A golden state budget picture - SFGate :

It's flat-out amazing. After facing a $13 billion budget hole this year, California is now looking at a manageable $1.9 billion shortfall next summer with the possibility of a surplus - yes, that's the right word - that will grow steadily two years from now.
This shift from penury to riches is due to a revived economy, tough spending cuts and passage of Propositions 30 and 39, which increased taxes and ended revenue loopholes. It's a tribute to voter confidence in Gov. Jerry Brown's budget goals and the Legislature's willingness to accept cuts along with new taxes. (Washington, please take note.)

Read more: A golden state budget picture - SFGate
Pure baloney: Yes, they are strangling us with taxes, but they aren't cutting the spending at all, the spending increases. The pain is felt mostly by the middle class, the fat cats are happy, and the poor become more dependent upon a system that is headed for a crash. If they cut anything, it's projected spending, which won't stop us from sinking into the quicksand.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Interesting juxtaposition there, huh? The wealthy Californians aren't the ones leaving, it's actually the middle-class (particularly of the conservative variety) who can't make ends meet running away to TX & AZ. Real estate is still booming in the upper-income towns, and even my father's overpriced & oddly-located home recently sold without much effort. That's probably because, despite the rising COL and tax rates, we still have Silicon Valley and more 6-figure jobs than you'll find almost anywhere. Just a personal observation, but the above link does back up what I'm saying.
I suppose if you live in Palo Alto, real estate is still moving, but in San Jose, Milpitas, Redwood City, it may sit for a couple years and sell at a loss. Not everybody works for Apple or Dell.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think that may chnage sonner than thoguht. Its Illonsis that leads the antion in debt problems. They are the first ever to pass bonds to fund general governamnt spending. It was ointed out byt the experts i the state of the state hearings in congress by exsperts.They alos pointed out that California by its constitution ups all bondholder first i payments which si why they are likely to be able to borrow for sometime at reasonable rates. the same can't be said for Illonsis which we likely see rates soar eventually.,
Chicago is run by or like the Mafia. Jesse Jackson Jr. gets in trouble and pleads temporary insanity - and he'll probably get away with it. Crazy politics in Illinois, probably worse than in CA. At least they're more blatant about it.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:57 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I suppose if you live in Palo Alto, real estate is still moving, but in San Jose, Milpitas, Redwood City, it may sit for a couple years and sell at a loss. Not everybody works for Apple or Dell.
Read my post again... I was referring specifically to the upper-class and/or high-tech workers, since the post to which I was responding suggested rich people are suffering & leaving. So thanks for basically parroting my exact point, LOL.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Much of the Bay Area is experiencing a brisk market... multiple bids and cash buyers.

It came as a surprise to me... a bank owned home I was following was offered at $525k and received multiple bids and sold for $275k over asking... yes, $800k for cash and I am flabbergasted if anyone still uses that word.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:27 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Exactly. Red States take far more from the fed than they give back. Who's the takers and who are the makers now? That's what I thought.
Mississippi is also the least urbanized state in the USA. Louisiana has high levels of corruption, and it has always been that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies