Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes. Lots of OH people tell me they HATE to have to stop in WV to get gas or whatever.
Yeah, but that is because it is West Virginia, people there seem to be a bit off....though I have met some nice West Virginians over the years, but the Virginian in me will always want to make fun of that state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,510 times
In Florida, it's funny how people from the NY/NJ stand out in a crowd compared to Midwesterners and Canadians.

Does St. Catherine's St. in Montreal still have inexpensive prostitutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
I drove from Montreal, Canada to Key West and had a blast. It is pretty remarkable how quickly things turn into a side show south of Virginia, though. I jest, I jest... although culturally it's pretty significant. Honestly, from my french-speaking city to DC I felt 100% in a familiar place, everything was usual. The language divide doesn't hold a candle to the mason-dixon line divide. The most memorable aspect for me was the inter-twining of vile, toilet humour billboards (seemingly home-made) and ridiculous slogan-bearing church billboards... you know the ''Hope you got your suntan lotion, sinners... it gets hot in hell!'' types.

I was particularly floored by this one big sign for what must have been a pretty popular restaurant in the avon, nc area called Dirty Dicks... their billboard read ''I got my crabs from dirty dicks'' and featured this awful cartoon drawing of some guy clawing at his genital area. Anyways, great memories.

The people were very warm and friendly, but It was clear in most conversations that folks were dying to know where we were from (and what our origins were, and what the language we spoke amongst ourselves was) ... and if we were Christian of course. After a couple days in Cape Hatteras though my beautiful tan really started getting the best of me, not to mention the thick beard I had let grow out over the month-long road trip. Between NC and Northern Florida I definitely got more than a few ''look at that Ay-rab with the white girl'' stares. Amusing since I'm only half-Italian - the other half is french Canadian :-P Brown hair be damned!

But folks were nice, and I love the cultural difference. I mean I felt further removed from home (culturally) in the bible belt than I had in most of Western Europe. Canada and the North-East are even more closely related. (even the french part).

About the Montreal-Miami pilgrimage. We Canadians (particularly the South Florida-loving Quebecers) have learned, through word of mouth, to avoid the awful scourge that is the town of Rocky Mount. See, Rocky Mount is almost exactly half-way between Montreal and Miami. So we're likely to stop there if not warned... my experience at the Waffle House in Rocky Mount at 2am was most shocking. Seeing the cops dozing off, mouths gaping in the booth next to me while these thuggish pimps two booths over fondled their girls and loudly tried peddling them to anyone who entered the store, while their homeys killed time by gently lobbing taters at a half-sleeping, 500 pound, three-nostriled cashier - boy did I feel out of place. But happy to be there!

Funny, too, how quickly things revert to the North-East once you enter South Florida.

Also, three speeding violations pardoned by nice police officers!
''Sorry sir, we use Km in Canada''
*Looks at speedometer, raises eyebrow*
''You be safe now, and have a good day''

Seriously, Americans red and blue are pretty awesome people.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Half the people in the red states are liberals.
Not the better half.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Is it scary to drive through states like Oklahoma or Mississippi?

I imagine road trips are a nightmare for liberals.
Nope, why you ask? I travel all over, never seem to have trouble anywhere. Most ppl are good.

One of the funniest vendor signs I ever saw was outside Houston,

"RIB $.99 LB
WITH MEAT $1.99 LB"

Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yeah, but that is because it is West Virginia, people there seem to be a bit off....though I have met some nice West Virginians over the years, but the Virginian in me will always want to make fun of that state.
Central WV - Morgantown, Bridgeport, etc - is no different than any other snobby suburb. Southern WV ~ well, that could be a different story.

It's stupid to be afraid of any state.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:

How do you figure? How would anyone know a person's political affiliation, and why would they care?

Mississippi for example; 675k for Romney, 530k for Obama, so I am not seeing the problem, it is not like is was overwhelmingly for Romney, just as Illinois was not overwhelmingly for Obama.

Of course this is a troll post.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,859 times
Quote:

No, but with the way some people talk about Democrats or Republicans, one would think that both parties have a designated special operations unit dedicated to hiding under beds and scaring little kids or something.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why make fun of a state that exists because it was abolitionist - or at least in support of preserving the union?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
No, but with the way some people talk about Democrats or Republicans, one would think that both parties have a designated special operations unit dedicated to hiding under beds and scaring little kids or something.
The Democrats do - it's called the federal government - their god.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I prefer 'rural cities' myself
Wichita?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies