Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,281,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Lemme guess, they're going to steal from people to give it to those who didn't save as much to ensure 'fairness'.
Bingo..you win the all expense paid trip to Hawaii

No, wait, we take that back..it wouldn't be "fair" to all those that didn't win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 AM

114 posts, read 100,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Lemme guess, they're going to steal from people to give it to those who didn't save as much to ensure 'fairness'.
California seems to have a similar plan that Governor Brown signed. It supposed to be a model for the Obama Administration to look at.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,571,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Here is another look at it..................Harkin Report
This?

http://www.harkin.senate.gov/documen...7bde7a557d.pdf

Old 11-17-2012, 11:20 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,767,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Damn!!!! this is big news! Please, please post the link where the president said the Benghazi attack wasn't terror related. I can't wait. Give me the direct link so I can ram it down Huffpo, CNN and MSNBC's throat!!!
Get in touch with Candy. She has the transcript!!!!

Old 11-17-2012, 11:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,368,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Hint - millions of Americans as well as 30 million illegals have not bothered to save up any money for their retirements and they're not going to like having to live off only social security and see those who saved some money up enjoying a better retirement.

From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs. That's the motto of the democrat party -- they don't believe in the moral of the grasshopper and ant and winter story.

It's got to be equal -- not in self-control or hard work or responsibility -- it has to be equal in the outcomes. Why can some hard working guy who scrimped and saved enjoy a better retirement than someone who squandered all his income or didn't feel like working?

You forgot about the worker who didn't squander his minimum wage income and who (obviously) felt like working - how much did you expect him to save?

Having said that, this also is obviously egregiously unfair to the low-wage worker who DID scrimp and save and who would like to leave something tangible to their spouse and/or adult children. Which is the same reason I think Social Security also sucks.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:34 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,957,323 times
What is the SS death benifit I think $300?? They steal money from your check your entire life and if you kick off your money gets your family $300. Of course if they are minors they can get it till their 18 or whatever but the entire thing was a rigged system to steal peoples money especially if you look back and see what the expected life span was of citizens when this thing was implemented.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:37 AM

370 posts, read 439,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Hint - millions of Americans as well as 30 million illegals have not bothered to save up any money for their retirements and they're not going to like having to live off only social security and see those who saved some money up enjoying a better retirement.

From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs. That's the motto of the democrat party -- they don't believe in the moral of the grasshopper and ant and winter story.

It's got to be equal -- not in self-control or hard work or responsibility -- it has to be equal in the outcomes. Why can some hard working guy who scrimped and saved enjoy a better retirement than someone who squandered all his income or didn't feel like working?

What about those evil free loaders like me who saved but lost it all when the bubble induced stock market crashed? Oh yeah my job was outsourced to India (have to maximize share holder value eh) so I had to live of my savings until I finally found a job delivering pizza.

So what you do about free loaders like me?

Old 11-17-2012, 11:38 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,957,323 times
What should WE do? Are we supposed to pay your way now? Plenty of others have had hardships too. Go ask Obama to write you a check.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,571,700 times
Historical long term capital gains tax rates:

1942-67: 25%
1976: 39.9 %
1979: 28 %
1982: 20 %
1987: 28 %
1997: 20 %
2003: 15% till 2005
2005:15% till 2010
2010: 15% till 2012 ( extended by Obama)

In other words, capital gains were taxed at less than 20% in only 7 out of the past 70 years. There is nothing in our history or experience that says that unearned income has to be taxed this lightly. It’s not a time-honored principle. Should the very wealthy like Warren Buffet and Mitt Romney pay the same % as most?

Old 11-17-2012, 11:41 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,368,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
What about those evil free loaders like me who saved but lost it all when the bubble induced stock market crashed? Oh yeah my job was outsourced to India (have to maximize share holder value eh) so I had to live of my savings until I finally found a job delivering pizza.

So what you do about free loaders like me?

How about vouchers for free pizza?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies