Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 11:54 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I agree. Thank you very much for your service!

It seems there are some who just don't recognize what our military has provided them and currently is providing them. They hustle and bustle through their busy lives, not recognizing how things could and would be so very different if not for the sacrifice of all those in our military.

The concept of Peace Through Strength must never be forgotten.
Might as well say "War is Peace".........it isn't true! Strength is not aggression, or paying people to be our ally. Peace is found by negotiation, free markets, and free trade, where everybody has something to lose by not getting along. Peace takes more skill than bombs and kill lists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 11:59 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When threads like this get posts that agree with him, I think it is time to renew the draft. That would put a stop to the us vs. them mentality. Jerks have to do military duty too when we have a draft.
Politicians should be at the top of the list. They should experience the consequences of their actions.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:59 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
By per 100,000 hours worked what is the rate? People where I work are getting sick and tired of hearing about safety all the damn time.
The statistics I can find are by fatalities per 100,000 workers.

For 2010:

Within these categories some occupations, even though low in total number, had much higher rates. I believe the fatality rate for military in Afghanistan is on the order of 55 fatalities per 100,000 troops----looks like being a fisherman or logger is more dangerous !

In terms of serious occupational injuries: "The overall rate of severe occupational injuries/illnesses in 2011 was 117 cases per 10,000 full-time workers; 20 percent occurred to just five occupations: laborers; nursing aides; janitors; truck drivers; and police officers."

Injuries, Illnesses, and Fatalities

graphs from :http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/worker_memorial.htm

Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 AM

589 posts, read 850,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Say something remotely critical of the military, and the troops in particular, and you will be crucified. Feelings will be hurt like nothing else. Little, if anything, is more politically incorrect than engaging in this type of criticism in the United States.

Coal miners work in far more dangerous line of work making sure millions have heat. Truck drivers bring us our food at higher risks. Ditto sea fishermen in Alaska and elsewhere. We could compile a list of others who risk their lives at a greater rate to provide us with essentials. Interestingly, they are not the objects of the same fetishism. Why is that? In anticipation from the obligatory refrain, no our military does not protect our freedoms. Our Constitution does that. Our military protects us from external threats and they haven't had to do that since, at best, 1962. The Soviets were about as interested in attacking us after that as I am in attending a Justin Bieber concert. (I suppose if the planes had been scrambled in time, had they been able to shoot down flight 93 or one of the other hijacked planes on 9/11, that might have qualified.)

Does anyone have an explanation beyond the usual, "They protect our freedoms" gibberish? Is this tied into the gun fetish? Is it about the authoritarian mindset? Is it about guilt over not serving themselves?
Under endowment, also known as small penis syndrome.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:30 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Fetish? Maybe because some of the men in uniform look scrumptious.

I guess when some people see a uniform,they see power.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:05 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Fetish? Maybe because some of the men in uniform look scrumptious.

I guess when some people see a uniform,they see power.
I just see people: some good, some bad, some lazy, some stupid, some smart, some with a good work ethic, some with none.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:06 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
coal miners, truckers and crab fishermen don't have people actively trying to kill them.
Plus many of them get paid a hell of alot more when they start out

Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
My only probelm is that the military is not being used the way that it was intended for, which is to protect this country. Instead they have been used to expand the US empire and wipe out the citizens of other countries to benefit the corporations that want their resources. The draft was repealed mainly because the well to do were tired of trying to keep their sons and daugthers from going to war that they started. If many of you ever noticed that when the economy is bad the military enlistments rises, is this a coindence or is it planned? And the only time that you see politician's sons in the military are the ones who have future aspirations of political positions in the future, and even they have compfy safe military jobs while they are in.

Sorry to get off subject, I was just venting.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
How come liberals have a fetish about making people buy health insurance or pay a fine?
Because people like yourself are too stupid to buy it yourselves, you need to be told what to do and how to react. If it weren't for fox (faux) news, you people wouldn't know how to function.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:16 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Say somethiexistence.ly critical of our military, and the troops in particular, and you will be crucified. Feelings will be hurt like nothing else. Little, if anything, is more politically incorrect than engaging in this type of criticism in the United States.

Coal miners work in far more dangerous line of work making sure millions have heat. Truck drivers bring us our food at higher risks. Ditto sea fishermen in Alaska and elsewhere. We could compile a list of others who risk their lives at a greater rate to provide us with essentials. Interestingly, they are not the objects of the same fetishism. Why is that? In anticipation from the obligatory refrain, no our military does not protect our freedoms. Our Constitution does that. Our military protects us from external threats and they haven't had to do that since, at best, 1962. The Soviets were about as interested in attacking us after that as I am in attending a Justin Bieber concert. (I suppose if the planes had been scrambled in time, had they been able to shoot down flight 93 or one of the other hijacked planes on 9/11, that might have qualified.)

Does anyone have an explanation beyond the usual, "They protect our freedoms" gibberish? Is this tied into the gun fetish? Is it about the authoritarian mindset? Is it about guilt over not serving themselves?
I tracked and shot an Iraqi terrorist that had murdered and was attempting to murder more Kurdish families. He would have done the same to you and your family if he had the opportunity.
Putting a round through this guy's left cheek was a pleasure, but don't think I did it for you and your brats. It was for the future of my children and the families he was attempting to eradicate.
And, oh, by the way, I've never heard of a coal miner saving a guys life by treating a sucking chest wound. I've done that twice.
Continue on with your boring, whining existance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies