Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Neither do those whom support our military personnel.

Most of those people worship the LORD.
Your comment is so incredibly stupid that it isn't even worthy of a response. Maybe with all of the education you're supposedly getting, you will learn what a figure of speech is someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 10:36 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What plate is that and why does someone have to? The plate of "furthering national interests". Is that not obvious to you? And someone has to, because if the job isn't done, bad things are carried out by bad people. Scary, isn't it?
Did you not join or was there some special slavery or lottery that we don't know about? Ummm...no, no special slavery that I'm aware of, nor of any lottery. You sure have a lot of dumb rhetorical questions, don't you?

Still can't come up with why we play little games outside of our country? Because our government has it's set of objectives, or "national interests" that must be carried out. It almost always has something to do with oil, either directly or indirectly. Other times it's to stop violent acts of religious extremism which by some lines of logic can be traced back to the aforementioned oily stuff. I don't even agree with everything the government does, but it's an overall rewarding way to make a living.

You say that's how you prefer it, yet you say you're special. I said that I'm special? I guess I am. I don't really see myself as being special, but if that's the way you perceive me, whatever. So what?
And why is it only online that I ever encounter these sentiments? How come I'm never approached in person with these dumb questions? That would make for far more lively debate than typing this crap out.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:42 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,197 times
Quote:
Yes, they do.
1) They don't have to join;
2) Initial enlistments are from 2-4 years;
3) They don't have to re-up.

There is no stop loss.
You can thank the people in the service for defending your freedom to say such [ ] things and hold such a [wonderful] attitude towards them. Discussion with individuals like you who don’t get it is pointless. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Yes, they do.
1) They don't have to join;
2) Initial enlistments are from 2-4 years;
3) They don't have to re-up.

There is no stop loss.
Are you trying to stop qualified men and women from joining the military to protect your freedoms to type all this stuff online? You sound like a real patriot.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
I am the child of a Desert Storm veteran and the grandchild of a Bronze Star veteran who served in WWII, Korea, and 'Nam. I'm beyond angry I have to read such dreck as what the OP wrote.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My son has a job, respect, he gets paid to work out, and shoot guns. Last year he went to the Philippines, and Guam for his job. He is happy. Fetish? Free healthcare for life? Free college? The real question is why others don't get their act together and join up too...
And if we didn't have this ridiculous military and military profiteers that we so willingly support, we could educate and provide health care to our entire population.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
And why is it only online that I ever encounter these sentiments? How come I'm never approached in person with these dumb questions? That would make for far more lively debate than typing this crap out.
Don't worry, I don't see you as special at all.
If you only see it on-line, you don't get out much.

Yet, you type this crap out.
National interest? At what expense?
And against whom? Sovereign nations that haven't invited us there.

Bullying and murdering for profit.
Go USA.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Are you trying to stop qualified men and women from joining the military to protect your freedoms to type all this stuff online? You sound like a real patriot.
Again, what freedoms of mine (or yours) are being protected in the sand box?
I don't want to be called a patriot, nor am I going to wrap myself in a flag and kill people in the name of my country.
Guns and god is not my mantra. YMMV.

As far as your first sentence.
I'm saying that they need to take responsibility for joining.
Also, I was responding to the post that I quoted in mine. You can review should you choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
You can thank the people in the service for defending your freedom to say such [ ] things and hold such a [wonderful] attitude towards them. Discussion with individuals like you who don’t get it is pointless. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
For about the 8th time in this thread, how are they defending my freedom in the Middle East, Africa and SE Asia?
You can't answer that.
That's evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie
Coal miners, truck drivers, crab fishermen, etc. can walk away or simply quit anytime they want or the going gets too rough. People in the service don’t have that luxury.
So can military members after their first enlistment.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Do 13k+ lose limbs and have traumatic brain injury?
And this has what to do with the topic?

I was responding to someone who said there were more fatalities in the military than for other occupations. There are not.

I believe it is the same with brain injury. The only study I could quickly find that is germane to this topic is one indicating that there were nearly 7300 deaths due to occupational traumatic brain injury between 2003 and 2008. It's a given that there are usually more work-related injuries for every fatality that occurs, so it is likely that there have been more than 13,000 traumatic brain injuries sustained on the job during that time period, more than in the military.

The most common serious injury for farmers is having a limb crushed or severed --- so even there I think there are more lost limbs due to occupational injury than military. "Every day, about 243 agricultural workers suffer lost-work-time injury. Five percent of these injuries result in permanent impairment."

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/aginjury/

I'm not saying military people don't lay their lives on the line, but people forget that many an average worker in some high risk industries does the same thing every day often for their entire working lives.

The epidemiology of fatal occupational traumat... [Am J Prev Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My son has a job, respect, he gets paid to work out, and shoot guns. Last year he went to the Philippines, and Guam for his job. He is happy. Fetish? Free healthcare for life? Free college? The real question is why others don't get their act together and join up too...
Your son is a hero of mine.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:00 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,465 times
Quote:
don't worry, i don't see you as special at all. Thank you, seriously; "not special" is precisely how i want to be viewed (whoa, deja vu here).
If you only see it on-line, you don't get out much. Is that it? I get out everyday. My livelihood depends on it. I thought it was because many people don't have the gall to express their views in person and instead choose the safety and anonymity of the internet. Hence, you.

yet, you type this crap out. Yes, I do. Here I am doing it again.
national interest? At what expense? At great expense, I won't debate that. This country is swirling around the drain as we speak.
and against whom? Sovereign nations that haven't invited us there. Yup, sucks to be them.

bullying and murdering for profit. See my aforementioned remark.
go usa.
semper pink!
Well, I gotta get to work in the morning so it's beddy-bye for me. I'll catch up with you later, crazy cat lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies