Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I find it pretty damn contemptuous for you to be an active part of denying me equal rights under the law. Put the shoe on the other foot - how would you take it?
The irony is Allen is black, and the slavery/segregation arguments were all based on God's separation of the races. How hypocritical that he condemns gays when the very same Bible he uses to condemn them, condemned people like him for centuries or millenia.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:14 PM

831 posts, read 680,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Simple question. Does being anti-gay marriage mean you hate gays? Do homosexuals in turn feel hated by those who oppose gay marriage legalization?

I dont think thats fully accepting them for who they are, who are we to impose restriction on them since we're basically the same, it's just they want to go one way and others go through the more traditional way. They aint causing no harm to no one, so i say let them.
Helps control with overpopulation, lets face it, our resources are not as abundance as they used to be.
btw i was raised a catholic.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Don't get all huffy.
I believe what he's saying is don't call it marriage. Marriage is a religious institution. I agree, but I want you to have a civil union with the person you love, and live happily ever after. Really. It just seems like gays want the extra added bonus of rubbing our noses in it.
Marriage is not a religious institution. Learn your history. Marriage did not even become associated with Christianity until 1200 years after Christianity began, and wasn't even a religious ceremony until 1500 years after Christianity began. And most protestants opposed it on religious grounds.

Marriage predates religion by thousands of years.

You also have no right to lay claim to an English word. Words change meaning. Marriage has no relevance to anyone outside the English speaking world, because they don't call it marriage.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This shows how norrow minded some people can be: no one is saying they souldn't be allowed legal rights, very few people disapprove of legal unions, we are talking something totally different here. I think you are the one that isn't understanding the laws and how they work
I live in reality. Reality: we have laws that allow couples to form joint legal entities and in doing so confers to them a collection of legal rights and responsibilities. Reality: in most places gay couples are banned from accessing that law - in spite of the Constitutional requirement that all laws be applied equally.

That's the reality. All I want is for equal access to that law. It's pretty damn simple.

Quote:
...nor are you understanding the word "MARRIAGE" What legal rights are you not being allowed? I can only think of one and it should be changed: that is the right to SS survivorship.
I think it would be nice if the gay spouses of military members were allowed to live in family base housing or be allowed to shop at the base commissary. I also think that it's unfair married straight military members get increased family pay, but married gay military members do not. I think it would be nice that if my husband were brutally murdered I would be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the murderer. I'd like for my friend Ben to be able to bring his husband to live in the US with him under a spousal immigration visa.

I can keep going if you want.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:22 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
No, it doesn't mean anyone hates anyone. What it means is that sensible people realize that every successful nation that has ever existed on this planet has had as its foundation a family unit consisting of a male father, a female mother, and the children that they raised together. Now, because less than 5% of the population chooses to do it differently, they are demanding that this age old institution be changed to accommodate them, which is ridiculous, to say the least. It's not about hating anyone, it's about common sense and tradition.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
I am fine with gay "partnerships"

I think they just need to not call it marriage. Marriage is an institution of the church, which is against it, they created it, they perform a marriage. I can understand why they don't want to, its there traditional belief.

Now a gay partnership or whatever they want to call it, to give them all the benefits of a marriage in the eyes of the government.

As for the original question, I once was told I need to deal with homosexuals in the modern world when I said "I don't know how adults, especially a guy could watch Glee, and that it has waaaay to many sexual inuendos for middleschoolers"

Its more of about adults watching a show that busts out into bad singing every 10 minutes, Like Fresh Beat Band, that my 2 year old watches.

Then 5 min later talk about hooking up and getting a piece of something from such and such guy/girl.

I remember watching shows like Saved by the bell and they didn;t have any innuendos where the center of the conversations were about sex.

Either way I guess I just am a Nazi homosexual hater...

Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
tradition
Yep. Like owning your wife. Or keeping black and white people from marrying each other. Or having multiple wives.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
No, it doesn't mean anyone hates anyone. What it means is that sensible people realize that every successful nation that has ever existed on this planet has had as its foundation a family unit consisting of a male father, a female mother, and the children that they raised together. Now, because less than 5% of the population chooses to do it differently, they are demanding that this age old institution be changed to accommodate them, which is ridiculous, to say the least. It's not about hating anyone, it's about common sense and tradition.
And people like you haven't the foggiest clue how that tradition works. Marriage was a business relationship between families, where property (a young girl) was passed from father to husband. Marriage has historically been a pretty barbaric institution all over the world. The pretty, fairy tale version you all cling to as "traditional" has only existed very recently, even in the United States. Merely 20 years ago, marriage allowed a man to legally rape his wife whenever he wanted. And considering most marriages end in divorce and spouses cheat on each other constantly, marriage is largely a joke. It doesn't guarantee any of what you claim it' supposed to.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:33 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post

I think they just need to not call it marriage. Marriage is an institution of the church, which is against it, they created it, they perform a marriage. I can understand why they don't want to, its there traditional belief.

Now a gay partnership or whatever they want to call it, to give them all the benefits of a marriage in the eyes of the government.
^^^^This. Woudn't this be the best compromise? Isn't that what gays want anyway, legal rights that married people enjoy? No problem. ^^^^^

Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post

Why do you keep believing this lie? Marriage predates Christianity by 10,000 years at least. Christianity did not even associate itself with marriage ceremonies until the 16th Century - over 1500 years after Christianity began. It was quite content with the civil marriage found in Rome. Most Protestants opposed it during the Reformation. Martin Luther called it a "worldly thing" and demanded the State control marriage, not the Church.

Have you people ever been educated? One doesn't have to be Einstein to research whether what you believe is completely fabricated nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies