Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,293,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
The post you just made is what is wrong with it. You, or some other gestapo get to dictate an ever changing set of values based on more and more people getting their feelings hurt over nonsense.

I never said I wasn't prepared to accept any consequences. I have voluntarily and willingly left jobs, after securing another rather than put up with this politically correct nonsense. I've worked at companies that have these pc diversity BS programs and seen how miserable the people there are. They always have to tip toe around certain people for fear of hurting their pathetic feelings. Personally I'll have none of that. You want it, great! Take it, have it, and embrace it. But know in your heart that the second those people aren't around your work environment, they cry and moan about you and every other plastic and fake person there; and I bet you do the same about them.

Maybe I am just fortunate that I don't have to work with people like you. Tell me something... Is it really displaying respect for another person when you can't say what is on your mind, or is it more respectful to say exactly what is on your mind knowing that they can and will do the same? Which do you think shows more genuine respect?

If you had any idea of some of the conversations I've had with my boss, his wife, or any other person that works for the same company, your panties would be in a bunch... permanently! You can have your fake, dishonest, panties all in a bunch, disrespectful because they cannot be honest corporate world.

The thing that bugs me most is you and others have been totally brainwashed into this politically correct nonsense world. I hope everyone also notices your attempt to ridicule someone who disagrees with your view on the subject.

Saul Alinsky's - Rules for Radicals Part 5
“Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.”
“…you do what you can with what you have and clothe it with moral arguments.”

Move on... there's no Thoughtcrime here... there's no Newspeak here. Nothing to see here.
Legal issues means getting sued. And depending on what you said, there could be grounds for a criminal charges.

You keep throwing up word vomit. I dont give a damn about your life experiences.

This is not about you or me. You just don't get it. You can say whatever you want. Just deal with the consequences. That is all there there is. There are laws concerning speech at work. Your employer has rules about speech at work as well.

The idea that the way to speak your mind to someone is to talk about their race, gender, religious beliefs, age, etc in an insulting manner is very strange and wrongheaded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 11:44 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Sometimes, in the workplace, people say or do the wrong things.

They say something wrong about the blacks or hispanics.

...about gays or women or President Obama.

Have you ever reported them and if not what held you back from stopping what they were doing in the workplace?
I'd never report them because PC idealism is a joke.

just a passing fad.

a spade should be called a spade.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:29 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,543,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm a manager, and i'm paid to pick and choose instead of being draconian about ALL speech OR allowing people to do and say whatever the hell they want. My job is to set the tone and parameters, and make sure that everyone stays within the guidelines. There are written rules in the SOP about workplace speech. My rules are much looser than what's in the SOP.

Secondly, i didn't say a damn thing about allowing comments "towards women." I said that certain sexual comments that are politically incorrect usually get by me because they're not offensive. Some of the women in my shop make these comments too. It's usually pretty harmless stuff that will cause most people to have no reaction stronger than eye rolling and a laugh. Like i said, i don't allow harassment or speech that would obviously offend people. Sometimes someone says something that would be over the line in another department, but not in ours because we're all pretty close and we've worked together for a few years.

That i would take a harder line on racial comments shouldn't surprise you if you have half a brain. That stuff is far more incendiary, and if it gets out of hand, you've got some serious problems. So of course, ANY manager with common sense would make sure that a hard line is drawn in the sand on those comments.
Race based "discussions?" What in the hell is that supposed to mean?

Again, i never said that i allow "most bad speech." Are you equating race base discussions with bad speech? If so, then you're answering your own question.

I mean, it seems to me that you're saying that i should allow people to make racist statements on the job. Now why would i allow that? Personally, if you insult me with a racial comment intentionally, i'm sending teeth down your throat. So if i know that i'll do that myself, why would i expect someone else to behave any differently? You think i want a frickin' brawl on my hands in the workplace?

This.

I mean, i don't know what i said that was so difficult for those guys to understand.
So you are saying that conversation you disagree with is met with brutal violence?

Wow. Don't you know that is how stereotypes are born?

Old 11-20-2012, 02:33 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
So you are saying that conversation you disagree with is met with brutal violence?

Wow. Don't you know that is how stereotypes are born?
Of course! Asking someone to knock it off or reporting it to a superior is FAR WORSE than just punching the dude/lady.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
no you shouldn't. everyone in the workplace should feel comfortalbe being there doing their job. doing your job is enough without being in a hostile workplace.
Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

Words my mother taught me, and ones I live by. Maybe that's why I don't get all offended when someone says something offensive. I might say something to them, but I don't let it affect how I feel. I just figure it's on THEM. Then promptly forget about it. That kind of person's opinion means nothing to me anyway, so why should I care?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I thought most of people on this site are working adults.

Every working adult has gotten the diversity training thing at work.

Insulting someone's race, gender, age, religion, etc is against the law. It is not some minor issue. You can be considered a racist, sexist, xenophobe, etc and face legal issues.

It is usually against the rules of your employer. You can be fired or disciplined for that dumb shyt.

As an adult you can say whatever you want to say just be prepared for the consequences and how others will respond to what you said. This is common sense.

You wouldn't go up to your supervisor's or boss's or co-workers spouse and say b..ch you are ugly and when you were fired or disciplined complain about having free speech and how your punishment was proof of communism.

What the heck is wrong with someone's mind to be that distorted on this issue?
Unless it is "severe", that is simply not true.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm a manager, and i'm paid to pick and choose instead of being draconian about ALL speech OR allowing people to do and say whatever the hell they want. My job is to set the tone and parameters, and make sure that everyone stays within the guidelines. There are written rules in the SOP about workplace speech. My rules are much looser than what's in the SOP.

Secondly, i didn't say a damn thing about allowing comments "towards women." I said that certain sexual comments that are politically incorrect usually get by me because they're not offensive. Some of the women in my shop make these comments too. It's usually pretty harmless stuff that will cause most people to have no reaction stronger than eye rolling and a laugh. Like i said, i don't allow harassment or speech that would obviously offend people. Sometimes someone says something that would be over the line in another department, but not in ours because we're all pretty close and we've worked together for a few years.

That i would take a harder line on racial comments shouldn't surprise you if you have half a brain. That stuff is far more incendiary, and if it gets out of hand, you've got some serious problems. So of course, ANY manager with common sense would make sure that a hard line is drawn in the sand on those comments.
Race based "discussions?" What in the hell is that supposed to mean?

Again, i never said that i allow "most bad speech." Are you equating race base discussions with bad speech? If so, then you're answering your own question.

I mean, it seems to me that you're saying that i should allow people to make racist statements on the job. Now why would i allow that? Personally, if you insult me with a racial comment intentionally, i'm sending teeth down your throat. So if i know that i'll do that myself, why would i expect someone else to behave any differently? You think i want a frickin' brawl on my hands in the workplace?

This.

I mean, i don't know what i said that was so difficult for those guys to understand.
You should allow people to make racist comments if you allow sexist, etc. comments. If you ONLY disallow racists comments, you are a racist. Which you've pretty much admitted you are.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,443,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What?
No.
To those who would, I'd say get a life and grow a sense of humor.
Unless it upsets customers or something, who cares?
It depends on how extreme it is. If someone at work says, "I think we should hang *****s like Stan in Accounting from trees"... I'm probably gonna say something. Maybe that's funny to you, though.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,293,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Unless it is "severe", that is simply not true.
It is against the law at work. Keep thinking it isn't. This is objective reality.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Legal issues means getting sued. And depending on what you said, there could be grounds for a criminal charges.

You keep throwing up word vomit. I dont give a damn about your life experiences.

This is not about you or me. You just don't get it. You can say whatever you want. Just deal with the consequences. That is all there there is. There are laws concerning speech at work. Your employer has rules about speech at work as well.

The idea that the way to speak your mind to someone is to talk about their race, gender, religious beliefs, age, etc in an insulting manner is very strange and wrongheaded.

The fact that you are so uptight about this subject tells me that you are undoubtedly one of the people I was referring to when I said, "...always have to tip toe around certain people for fear of hurting their pathetic feelings."

Honestly I would rather know what a person thinks. In your world you never know. BTW, I think you are a very overbearing, control freak who has tantrums when she doesn't get her way. I'll bet you have reported more than one person to your supervisor or to HR, complaining that they did or said something YOU didn't like.

Just curious, how long have you had daddy issues?

NOW... go make me a sammich you estrogen laden, water retaining, bloated whiner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies