Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 04:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
It's disrespectful to science to lump it with all those superstitions. Well, Buddhism doesn't trade on as much superstition, but the others are no way to try and interpret reality -they are all equally false.
Well here's the thing about religion. You can't prove it true and you can't prove it false.
Hence the controversy over it.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well here's the thing about religion. You can't prove it true and you can't prove it false.
Hence the controversy over it.
Just like believing in ghosts.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Just like believing in ghosts.
...and anything else that doesn't exist.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
I am neither christan nor an athiest. I'm wiccan. Go ahead, I don't celebrate christmas. I celebrate Yule.

Cities shouldn't favor anyone for the winter holiday. Either they all can have a space (of equal size) or none.

Why don't we offically have a winter holiday celebration and if you want to stick religion in it, good for you. The schools have 'winter' break and 'spring' break and nobody has a problem.

And for all of you an early Happy Yule.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Not exactly persecuted, but as you see Christmas is not being celebrated in some places, just as some Atheist want.......Didn't this same thing happen in a place called "Whoville" just who lived there????

We don't want you to disappear.... You all just need to lighten up and enjoy life....Athesits put all Christians in a box, just as Christians put all Atheist into a box, we're not all the same.......

Kind of getting old hearing Christmas was stolen from a pagan tradition......when much of whats said is untrue. Christians added pagan tradition to Christmas in hopes of bringing pagans to the faith........so most should get over it and enjoy the day or not!!!
I am going to put a big Happy Yule on my door and celebrate it in the twenty first. They didn't add it, they deliberately stole it after people were *forced* to convert. Big big difference. What I dispise is how christans of some stripes are so LOUD about how their 'traditions' must be honored but they can trample all over anyone else.

As a family gathering, the twentyfifth is okay, but I do not say merry christmas anymore. Thanks to the above zelots.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
"96%" celebrate christmas, not because they are religious but because of the gifts, food and festivities.
I'll celebrate the winter solstice. Family is a good reason. Just getting together with friends is too, since its the start of the longer days. We've evolved a meaning which can leave out religion. That's what the majority celebrate, not the stolen celebration used by one religion.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
I don't think any municipal dollar should be spent on a religious holiday.

If Athiests want to buy advertising next to Christian stuff, ain't this a free country?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
When I lived in the States, a Jewish friend and I would slowly walk around on christmas eve, just sauntering, and drive people crazy.
I always wanted to say: I'm not in your hurry.

Side note, I finished sending all of my holiday boxes Stateside today.
When I was a kid, one of my best friends was Jewish, but her family went to a church which include both Jews and Christans. They officially celebrated both holidays. Her grand parents, orthadox Jews, showered their only grand daughter with huge piles of presents for their holiday. Then she got gifts for both from parents, though they were generally more practical. Then there were gifts from friends. She made off with a gigantic and impressive haul each year. The rest of us were dazzled. I think all the lets shower the granddaughter and kid spirit mostly taught her that she had lucked out and got it was all about getting more than most.

I myself like a mid winter holiday which celebrated family, and connections and leave all the religious connections to individuals.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
"Christmas" was made to celebrate the birth of Christ, but pretty much everything else that has to do with the Christmas season was already in place and used in celebrating Saturnalia before early Christians took over the holiday.
The tree is Norse Pagan. It symbolized the bringing back of life as the days slowly turned warmer. The decorating of the tree was also done. Presents were given. Odin brought presents for well behaved children. These things, and pretty much everything about Easter, were Norse Pagan in derivation.

Santurnalia was an older borrowing, basically the date, to tie the new forced religion to the old most popular one. The same was true of the norse traditions. The king converted so everyone had to convert. The entire celebration of Yule was coopted since that way there was more cooperation. At one point, the christan holiday was moved up a day since yule celebrants would still celebrate on the solstice and they could tell them apart. Kings are big on people doing what they were told.

The norse tradition didn't come into general use until MUCH later.

But the symbols make sense for solstice. Not for what the christan occasion is supposed to be about.

Note in both occasions the conversions were not voluntary but *forced*.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Bah, you Christians with your tinsle, and your trees, and stockings and most of all.....

fun!

I must say I do take a Larry David "Curb Your Enthusiasm" stance on the tree. I hate having them in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies