Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 09:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Christmas is evolving into a shopping holiday just like all the other holidays.
Christmas season is the cash cow of retailers..they make 66% of their yearly revenue around this holiday.
Evolving? Well, maybe, but it's been going on for a long time. I am 63 years old, and I can remember as a kid people (my parents, etc) talking about "the commercialization" of Christmas, and people who went overboard, etc.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
"Christmas is evolving into a shopping holiday just like all the other holidays"

- Christmas shopping is part of the Christmas holiday. St. Nick was a bishop who gave gifts to children, and that's why purchasing gifts and giving to others' is on the picture.
Sure it is. I'm not sure standing in line for hours on end, forcing others to work & miss time with their own families and fighting over the Latest & Greatest Toys is really what Christmas is about though.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
I am not about to read all the posts on this thread that I have missed so this could be a duplicate link. It is exactly what I see concerning Christmas and I don't always agree with this man.

Pat Robertson: “Miserable” Atheists Trying to “Steal” Christmas

Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am not about to read all the posts on this thread that I have missed so this could be a duplicate link. It is exactly what I see concerning Christmas and I don't always agree with this man.

I suppose I just don't get the problem with other people doing different things than you.Unless someone is stopping your from doing what you what, and unless what you actually want is for everyone to be just like you, there is no real issue. Just a made up one to get people angry and scared. Why would anyone want to make people angry and scared? What could the motivation be?

Old 11-22-2012, 11:34 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:

It's not just the atheists. Christians themselves stole the holiday. Just like they stole this land.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:

You're always tring to get others to read your links/posts....BUT YOU never read other's posts....if you actually took the time to read what others post instead of preaching then maybe you'd see how wrong you are. (check your last thread on the made up "War on Christmass")

It's called learning...which scares the beejaysus out of Righties

Now, please list everything you've lost since the mythical war on Christmass started:

... presents from Santa under the tree ?

...gingerbread men??

... boozing?

.... football?

... shopping?

... singing ridiculous songs about reindeer?

....church attendance?

...praying?

...over eating?

...stress?

...greed?

....over spending because of the sin of greed?

....fruitcake(nothing personal meant there)

C'mon big talker....let me know what you lost......

Old 11-22-2012, 01:02 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
So what do you want us to go and say/put? Christmas is still everywhere, from Christmas music on radio/stores/TV commercial, to the decorations, to the nativity scenes on some public places/church & house/stores, to a national holiday where everything is basically shut down (and it's the day when least amount of things are open).
So DO tell Roy and the others who think that there's a war on Christmas that they are wrong......

Old 11-22-2012, 01:12 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You're always tring to get others to read your links/posts....BUT YOU never read other's posts....if you actually took the time to read what others post instead of preaching then maybe you'd see how wrong you are. (check your last thread on the made up "War on Christmass")

It's called learning...which scares the beejaysus out of Righties

Now, please list everything you've lost since the mythical war on Christmass started:

... presents from Santa under the tree ?

...gingerbread men??

... boozing?

.... football?

... shopping?

... singing ridiculous songs about reindeer?

....church attendance?

...praying?

...over eating?

...stress?

...greed?

....over spending because of the sin of greed?

....fruitcake(nothing personal meant there)

C'mon big talker....let me know what you lost......
HEY! I like fruitcake, with a spot of Meyers rum.....

Old 11-22-2012, 01:14 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
So what do you want us to go and say/put? Christmas is still everywhere, from Christmas music on radio/stores/TV commercial, to the decorations, to the nativity scenes on some public places/church & house/stores, to a national holiday where everything is basically shut down (and it's the day when least amount of things are open).
WTH? Is there a contest that the rest of us don't know about?? Do you Christians get points or something for each commercial, decoration, and store that is closed?

I enjoy the holiday season - and that's what it is, a season of holidays. Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Pagan, whatever - in 2012, all are free to decorate and celebrate as they wish, which is as it should be in the USA.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:42 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What part about "no room at the inn, but you can use the barn" don't you understand? Now I have no idea if this is true or not, but that's how the story goes. Ever heard of "no vacancy"?
The more telling thing is the birth rules for a Jewish woman. She would have had a ritual bath and given birth in a clean room. The stables were not for people and under the rules they were not allowed. They might have been crowded in the area where people went, but it wouldn't be a stable.

This happened every year. It was a big commercial success for the town, and they were used to handling a lot of people. There would be overflow but not a stable with animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies