Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 09:36 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How do snowmen, reindeer, decorated trees, and gingerbread men tell the story of the birth of Jesus?
Why is it if you people claim pagans had part in Christmas, you don't see the rituals they also brought to celebrate Christmas/Winter Solistice.........hint: I do believe gingerbread men happened sometime later when ovens and cookie cutters were invented.....

If pagans had unicorns why can't Christian's have reindeer, after all reindeer do exist.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Some Atheists celebrate Christmas too. Some just celebrate being with family and friends.
One of the displays by atheists that was vandalized said happy holidays. One was a gnome.

Are you offended by a sign saying happy holidays or a gnome. Is the sign saying happy solstice offensive?
Of all the displays I have seen pictures of ONE wasn't in the best taste, but there is still free speech in this country.
and of course you are right. Actually I should have mentioned that, because this is my point: many people, in fact most enjoy celebtating the time of year whether you are Christians or now Christians. I do not like vandaliziam for any reason, but I do think, there is a time and place for everything and we should all leave Christmas alone. Am I offended by Happy Holidays? Absolutely no, I worked for years in a call center and we insisted our agents say Happy Holidays when answering a phone call..Do I say it, most of the time, no, I do say Merry Christmas, but I am not offended by what others choose to say...

Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I see a difference in intent. Christmas displays are for Christmas; they tell the Christmas story of Christ's birth.

Atheists' displays are against Christmas. To be seen as really objective, they should be against all religions. As it is, they're simply hateful against Christmans (and Christ). Wonder why they are compelled to be against just that one? Hmmm...

No, I don't wonder. Ask any true Christian. They know.
Quote:
How do snowmen, reindeer, decorated trees, and gingerbread men tell the story of the birth of Jesus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Why is it if you people claim pagans had part in Christmas, you don't see the rituals they also brought to celebrate Christmas/Winter Solistice.........hint: I do believe gingerbread men happened sometime later when ovens and cookie cutters were invented.....

If pagans had unicorns why can't Christian's have reindeer, after all reindeer do exist.
YOU said Christmas displays are to tell the story of the birth of Christ. Many Christmas displays have snowmen etc, how are they telling the story of Christs birth, or are they not Christmas displays?

Old 11-24-2012, 09:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There has been a growing resentment, with some justification, concerning the display of the dominate religion. The only reason I can see for an atheist to proselytize is in protest to the proselytizations of other religions. If other religions did not feel the need to proselytize, then there would be no need for atheists to proselytize.

Your question is a good example. Jews very rarely feel the need to proselytize, and as a result you do not find atheist displays opposing Judaism. Christians, on the other hand, besides being the dominate religion (and the biggest target) feel the need to proselytize regularly. This is what offends most people, particularly atheists.
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think this is necessarily true. I think people can be left to do their thing as long as they do not interfer with others and tradition. As I have said, vandilism is never acceptable, and I don't care who does it, but I also think the Atheist display was a deliberate attempt to gain attention and to disrupt as many as possible. We live in a country where free speech should always be honored, but don't we wish we knew what our forefathers really meant when they wrote the first admendment.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
YOU said Christmas displays are to tell the story of the birth of Christ. Many Christmas displays have snowmen etc, how are they telling the story of Christs birth, or are they not Christmas displays?
Not ONLY CHRISTIANS put up Christmas displays

I've never seen a Nativity Scene (put up at a church) with a snowman next to it, have you? Would you prefer if Christians only made Angel cookies???

Old 11-24-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think this is necessarily true. I think people can be left to do their thing as long as they do not interfer with others and tradition. As I have said, vandilism is never acceptable, and I don't care who does it, but I also think the Atheist display was a deliberate attempt to gain attention and to disrupt as many as possible. We live in a country where free speech should always be honored, but don't we wish we knew what our forefathers really meant when they wrote the first admendment.
Amazing how they have "hate for others that are not like them" rather than their preached "love for tolerance of those that are not like them".....

Old 11-24-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Not ONLY CHRISTIANS put up Christmas displays

I've never seen a Nativity Scene (put up at a church) with a snowman next to it, have you? Would you prefer if Christians only made Angel cookies???
If you don't even know what you said, despite my quoting it twice, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:54 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Atheists are obviously very miserable, empty, angry people. They need to understand that nobody, of any religion, gives a rat's ass that THEY don't believe in religion. Their loss. NOT believing in something does NOT constitute religious freedom, which our country was founded on, because they don't believe in any religion. They are perfectly free NOT to believe in any religion - they are NOT free to mock, denigrate and insult the beliefs of fellow Americans! I personally believe they suffer from God envy and are incredibly insecure and need to seek negative attention.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Atheists are obviously very miserable, empty, angry people. They need to understand that nobody, of any religion, gives a rat's ass that THEY don't believe in religion. Their loss. NOT believing in something does NOT constitute religious freedom, which our country was founded on, because they don't believe in any religion. They are perfectly free NOT to believe in any religion - they are NOT free to mock, denigrate and insult the beliefs of fellow Americans! I personally believe they suffer from God envy and are incredibly insecure and need to seek negative attention.
Anyone is free to mock, denigrate, or insult anyone or anything they choose.
The first amendment applies to ALL Americans.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:13 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Atheists are obviously very miserable, empty, angry people. """

Please provide some proof or facts to back up that ridiculous hyperbole. You can't because it simply isn't true and intelligent people know it.

""""They need to understand that nobody, of any religion, gives a rat's ass that THEY don't believe in religion. Their loss. NOT believing in something does NOT constitute religious freedom, which our country was founded on, because they don't believe in any religion. They are perfectly free NOT to believe in any religion - they are NOT free to mock, denigrate and insult the beliefs of fellow Americans!"""

Oh yes we are.....just as some christians are free to blather on and bad mouth and even LIE aout atheists .

""I personally believe they suffer from God envy and are incredibly insecure and need to seek negative attention.
I think christians are incredibly insecure and need fairy tales and make believe to give them security.

PS: You sound very angry and miserable.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies