Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
It is a shame that Christian traditions are being attacked.

You may want to consider who/what is killing your Christian traditions.

First, it may not necessarily be an athiest.

Pope's book on Jesus challenges Christmas traditions
Pope's book on Jesus challenges Christmas traditions - CNN.com

Next, it is the real religion of the US, Capitalism, that turned Christmas into a celebration of materialism.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:04 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Atheists like to enjoy all the perks of Christmas and then turn around and vilify everything about it.

Are you saying that the "perks" of Christmas really have nothing to do with Christianity?

Old 11-26-2012, 04:59 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
It's still more than a month left for Christmas, so I could care less if you wish me "Happy Holidays" for Thanksgiving. My point was during Christmas Eve, and few days before that.
29 days to go!

Happy Holidays !!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:30 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
*sigh* I see you are incapable of recognizing the insatiable need of atheists to spew hatred towards Christians. Here is the sign that I recall causing a lot of upset from the state of Washington's Christmas display at its State House:

You want to wish people Happy Solstice? Be my guest! There's nothing malicious in that. But the above signage is hateful.
I agree. If it had ended at "There is only the natural world" there would have been nothing hateful about that sign, just an expression of beliefs.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:07 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I agree. If it had ended at "There is only the natural world" there would have been nothing hateful about that sign, just an expression of beliefs.
Exactly! Thank you. If atheists want to set up a model Stonehenge and celebrate the solstice, Mazel Tov! Have at it! When Jews display a Channukah menorah, they don't have a sign that says, "And anyone who believes in Jesus is worshiping a myth", now do they? The whole point of celebrations in December from a human standpoint is to celebrate miracles. Atheists don't believe in miracles. They seem to have a disturbing need to denigrate anyone who does. Atheists are the ultimate buzz kill.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Oh, are you referring to some Christmas display somewhere? I missed it.
No, I'm referring to what I pointed out in post 490..... ()

Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, I'm referring to what I pointed out in post 490..... ()
Perfectly reasonable thinking, not hateful at all. There are causes for some of the behaviors we see exhibited in society and it's good to try to seek out those reasons. Can lead to better understanding, you know, maybe even more civil discourse right here. And, wouldn't *that* be nice!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
LOL! Seriously? I can't imagine anyone being so petty.

Of course if I was a manager and you bothered me with this nonsense, I'd throw you out of my store, personally.
Came here to say that.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:17 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You may want to consider who/what is killing your Christian traditions.

First, it may not necessarily be an athiest.

Pope's book on Jesus challenges Christmas traditions
Pope's book on Jesus challenges Christmas traditions - CNN.com

Next, it is the real religion of the US, Capitalism, that turned Christmas into a celebration of materialism.
This is interesting, but I do believe it's important to point out what the Pope also said......

But while the book points out that the Gospels do not support the presence of animals at Jesus' birth -- a detail apparently added in later centuries -- the pope does not suggest they should be thrown out of the Nativity scene, Speciale said.
"The pope is a traditional man and he doesn't want people at all to change their traditions," Speciale said.
The Vatican quotes Anthony Valle, a professor of theology, as saying the pope has been open to scientific inquiry in his own study of Jesus' life.
"The pope is not against the historical critical method at all, in fact, he uses it, he appreciates it," Valle said.
He sees the pope as using "both faith and reason" in his efforts to bring the life of Jesus closer.

"The pope helps us to understand the world where Jesus was born. Caesar brought peace to the Roman Empire, but this tiny child brought something much more wonderful: God's peace, eternal life, an end to sin and death," Whitmore added.
"Anyone who's wondering why Christmas came to be such a great celebration in the West can find the answer right here. The pope explains how the birth of Jesus changed history forever."

It's a story and to bring it to life other things are brought into it.........pretty simple.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
And here is what the Pope says about caroling, from a different link on the same story:

** The Pope also sounded a note of caution over the popular belief that angels sang to the shepherds to proclaim Christ's birth, as recalled in the Christmas carol "Hark! The herald angels sing, Glory to the new-born King."

He writes that when the gospels refer to the "heavenly host" of angels "praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest", they in fact spoke the words rather than sang them.

"According to the evangelist, the angels "said" this," Benedict writes. "But Christianity has always understood that the speech of angels is actually song, in which all the glory of the great joy that they proclaim becomes tangibly present."

Nativity donkeys and cattle are a myth, says Pope - Telegraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies