Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,394 times

Advertisements

Hostess union hopes for buyout that will put employees back to work | Fox News

Quote:
The union that brought the 85-year-old baker of Twinkies and Wonder Bread to its knees is holding out hope that a buyer will salvage chunks of the company and send the union's members back to work, even as Hostess Brands Inc. gears up for a fire sale.

My understanding is there is a Mexican Billionaire looking to buy the twinkies brand to manufacture and sell them.

There are several Bakeries interesting in the twinkies brand, only One company has expressed interest in Hiostess, not ALL the bakeries, I hope they refuse to hire the Baker's union people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,164,944 times
From the article...

Union fairyland
While Hostess has said the shutdown would result in the loss of more than 18,000 jobs and place the fate of more than 30 American brands in jeopardy, union President Frank Hurt said he believed there was "more than a good chance" that a buyer quickly would swoop in to buy the profitable parts of the company and give his union's members their jobs back.

Reality...
"Nobody wants to have anything to do with these old plants or these unions or these contracts," Rayburn said in an interview. The company had hunted for buyers for the last several years as it tried to avoid a second trip into bankruptcy, but no buyer came forward.

Hey unions - we can't afford the high demands anymore. Sorry we can no longer support the money laundering operation. You will continue to put people out of business as long as you demand how owners compensate the workers.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
if i had the money, i would buy up the recipies and the brand names, but nothing else. i would then contract with bakeries in various areas of the country to make the products, and use independent distributors to sell the products like archway does.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:58 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if i had the money, i would buy up the recipies and the brand names, but nothing else. i would then contract with bakeries in various areas of the country to make the products, and use independent distributors to sell the products like archway does.
You can still get archway? I haven't been able to find Archway cookies in a long, long, time.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Tis a tad bit late for "Hostess Union hopes..." unless the union has the financing to buy it.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Hostess union hopes for buyout that will put employees back to work | Fox News

My understanding is there is a Mexican Billionaire looking to buy the twinkies brand to manufacture and sell them.

There are several Bakeries interesting in the twinkies brand, only One company has expressed interest in Hiostess, not ALL the bakeries, I hope they refuse to hire the Baker's union people.
[/color]
The Mexican billionaire will not be hiring union labor. It's doubtful any new buyer would hire union personnel at least not enough of them to organize yet another union.

I think this would be a perfect opportunity for deep pocketed liberal to buy the whole company and run it as some sort of experiment.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,797,741 times
It will end up getting sold. The Street article points out the action is not to get rid of the union as much as it is to get rid of the pensions. Without the pension obligation the whole deal becomes much more salable.

Twinkies Defense Is Private Equity's Pension Offense: Street Whispers - TheStreet

Ain't capitalism wonderful?

Old 11-19-2012, 01:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Tis a tad bit late for "Hostess Union hopes..." unless the union has the financing to buy it.
yeah why doesnt the union invest in its members?

Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
You can still get archway? I haven't been able to find Archway cookies in a long, long, time.
Archway Cookies : Find A Retailer

Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,388 times
This thread is just another union bashing thread, and please spare anyone on this site the tripe that you guys care. The fact is this company went bankrupt once before, got bought out by a venture capitalist who in turn profited from this company WHILE the Ceo's kept giving themselves bigger and bigger bonuses while the company was hurting. Not only this but after the 1st bankruptcy the unions took a 30% pay cut as well as a cut to their benefits. The biggest factor for the company going out of business was demand, nowadays with people eating healthier and with places like wal-mart around people are finding sweets from other countries that are cheaper.

This was the real downfall of hostess not the unions, but the simple fact they cannot compete in todays market because no one really eats there food any longer. It's a shame for all the people of that company that are or will be losing there jobs but hopefully they will come out of this fine. And for those barbarians on this site cheering there job losses as a good thing. May you never go without a job yourselves, you sad pathetic small minded monsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies