Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 06:44 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I can tell you that the psychological effects on small children that have to run frequently to shelters and get there within 15 seconds of a siren sounding has long term damaging effects.
I wanted to add this information to my earlier post:

"What Israeli Schoolchildren Sing to Deal With Rockets

This song was composed by a local teacher and has been taught to hundreds of schoolchildren within firing range of Gaza's rockets to help them deal with the fear and trauma of having 15 seconds to run for cover when the Color Red siren sounds.

Shachar Bar, an art therapist who teaches in Sderot, became increasingly alarmed after seeing the thousands of children of the western Negev suffering the cumulative effects of trauma due to the ongoing barrage of Kassam rockets from Gazan Palestinians. Teachers reported the fear and panic being heightened each time the recorded alert “Color Red” sounded, giving students 15 second to run for cover.

“Children experienced real developmental regressions, some began bedwetting,” she said. “They were getting hysterical when the alarm sounded – some freezing in place, unable to seek cover. One day I felt like ‘now is the time’ and I took this song I'd made up to a kindergarten class.”

The song begins with the children mimicking the alarm system, chanting “tzeva adom, tzeva adom,” Hebrew for Color Red. (The original alarm was “shachar adom” (red dawn), but children named Shachar were reportedly being affected socially and the municipality changed it.)

“[By mimicking the alert system] we touch slightly upon this threatening thing in a playful way, while in a safe, protected place with people we trust,” she explains. “That is the introduction.”

The song continues, with children seeking cover as they sing:

Hurry, hurry, hurry, to a protected area
Hurry, Hurry because now it’s a bit dangerous

“Running to our safe areas or ducking under the table, depending on where we are, coincides with the song,” Bar explains. “There is a fact: it is dangerous outside and we must seek shelter.”

My heart is pounding, boom, ba-ba, boom, boom, boom
My body is shaking, doom, da-da doom, doom, doom

“I am giving validation and legitimization to my fear and my body’s reactions,” Bar explains. “It is OK that my heart is pounding, I am even singing about it. It is OK that my body is trembling – I am afraid. Along with the words ‘boom-boom’ and ‘doom-doom,’ the movements of arms crossed and pounding on our chest borrowing from the EMDR method of treating trauma and anxieties. The movements help to break out of it and dissolve the anxiety, improving the mood.”

But I am overcoming
Because I am a little bit different
…The impact…boom – now we can get up

“Again, we remain in the reality,” Bar says. “We hear the impact and we can get back on our feet and begin with the release.”

Our body we shake, shake shake
Our legs we loosen, loosen, loosen
Breathe deep, blow far
Breathe deep, now we can laugh

“We breathe deep and release - a yoga method, even a yoga laughter method when we release the laughter,” Bar says. “Laughter releases endorphins into our brain and into our entire system.”

The song concludes: It all passed and I’m glad it's over – Yes!!

Bar says the song has spread throughout Sderot and the area kibbutz and moshav schools as well. “The joy that the children display there with the release…Once they learned it they were asking to do it again and again. Suddenly they had a tool to deal with all this, that they could hold on to.”

“The words help you think logically and be a little less afraid,” fourth grader Yiska Yifrach of Kibbutz Sa’ad says.

Illana Madmoni, a second-grade teacher at the Kibbutz said that it used to break her heart to have nothing to say to comfort the children during the silence between the Color Red alarm and the impact. “There was fear in their eyes the moment the alarm went off. The void during that alarm, where everyone was silent and they were just hiding there helpless. Now they are not only less afraid, but the actions and movement empower them and they feel they have overcome the attack and are moving forward.”

This story, originally printed by IsraelNationalNews, is based on a short documentary filmed for the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee by Yoav Shoam. "

Old 07-08-2014, 06:45 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
What is the goal of your remarks when the thread is about the effect of the Hamas rockets on the local Israeli population? I can tell you that the psychological effects on small children that have to run frequently to shelters and get there within 15 seconds of a siren sounding has long term damaging effects.
No the thread is about the fact that "hamas rockets do very little damage", and from a certain point of view thats 100% correct.

I wonder how the population in the 50 sites that Israel hit today feel.....given that they didn't have 15 seconds of warning, and that far more actually died in one day then the rockets have killed in years. Hmmm.....

Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
No the thread is about the fact that "hamas rockets do very little damage", and from a certain point of view thats 100% correct.

I wonder how the population in the 50 sites that Israel hit today feel.....given that they didn't have 15 seconds of warning, and that far more actually died in one day then the rockets have killed in years. Hmmm.....
Boo hoo.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Boo hoo.
Thank you for your informative and constructive addition to the conversation!

To be fair it pretty much matches my opinion as well of both sides, however Israels done a pretty bang up job at targeting those who are deserving of it. Naturally it wont be perfect, pretty sure the two teenagers just killed probably weren't bad guys, but in a conflict people die, even innocents. And Israel at least makes an pretty darn good effort to target only those responsible, something Hamas cannot be said to do.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:03 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/09/wo...gaza.html?_r=0

Wow an area is in conflict, maybe flying there might be hazardous?

But no worries-Israel has had a measured response, 50 places hit, 14 dead.

Surely the fact that 20X as many palestinians have been killed so far during the missle and bombing phase.......

I mean both sides are not enjoying this, Whats your goal in posting all of this? Do you think the US should be involved in some way?
Israel had to trade 1,000 "Palestinians" to get a single Israeli (Gilad Shalit) back last year. That set the currency as one Jew equals the same as 1,000 "Palestinians." So for every Jew killed by Hamas, it would take a thousand dead Arabs to make a measured response - and those are just Arab calculations.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:04 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:
Thank you for your informative and constructive addition to the conversation!

To be fair it pretty much matches my opinion as well of both sides, however Israels done a pretty bang up job at targeting those who are deserving of it. Naturally it wont be perfect, pretty sure the two teenagers just killed probably weren't bad guys, but in a conflict people die, even innocents. And Israel at least makes an pretty darn good effort to target only those responsible, something Hamas cannot be said to do.
Actually I agree with you, I just have a hard time drumming up sympathy. I'm so sick of the fighting.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Israel had to trade 1,000 "Palestinians" to get a single Israeli (Gilad Shalit) back last year. That set the currency as one Jew equals the same as 1,000 "Palestinians." So for every Jew killed by Hamas, it would take a thousand dead Arabs to make a measured response - and those are just Arab calculations.
Yeah let me know how that works out long term for folks.

Of course you could also use the second Intifada numbers and its 3-1, so since what? 14 were killed today so Hamas needs to kill another 4 Israelis to even up the score?

Second Intifada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Get real. Both sides need to stop with the killing as neither as willing to kill enough or be violent enough to solve this through violence. They either need to both step up their game and use sufficient violence, or they need to grow up and solve their issues.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:20 PM

Terrorists Fire Rockets Into Israel, Endangering 40 Percent Of Population | The Daily Caller

Old 07-08-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
They may do little physical damage but they do a lot of psychological damage!

Old 07-08-2014, 08:16 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
......given that they didn't have 15 seconds of warning, and that far more actually died in one day then the rockets have killed in years. Hmmm.....

Actually Israeli drones have fired warning flares into Gaza and instead of running away from the location about to be hit, people ran to the site to act as human shields.
Quote:
Witnesses said an Israeli drone fired a warning flare, prompting relatives and neighbours to gather at the house as a human shield.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226982452456

While at another site:

Quote:
.... a family in one of the targeted homes in Khan Younis had received a telephone call from an Israeli intelligence officer asking them to leave the house because it would be bombed, and the family evacuated in time.
http://english.al-akhbar.com/content...-50-sites-gaza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies