Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:05 AM

791 posts, read 2,224,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
George Bush's best friend was Kenny Boy from Enron, remember? That should have told you the tone Washington was going to take for the next 8 years. This whole White House has been all about "screwing the American people" while being "compassionate conservatives."
So, are you saying that Enron screwed its' employees and frauded its' shareholders during that period of time between the date of the inauguration of Bush and Enrons' collapse? That during the period of the Clinton presidency Enron committed no evil?

Would the same apply to WorldCom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 08:14 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDARE Reader View Post
We need to keep jobs in the U.S.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about how corporations can't afford to hire Americans, yet these same corporations allow outrageously high sallaries for upper management. What ever happened to civic responsibility, or has this country degenerated into a contest to see who can lie and cheat the most?
I agree.

Why is say that is us tradespeople have controlled our family sizes (2 children or less on average), curbed our drinking and being bad citizens in general yet the powers-to-be do not wish to share the wealth.

Normally; a smaller labor pool forces wages up------yet, the so-called 'patrician' class is now flagrantly breaking the laws by tacitly encouraging illegal immigration to try to keep us 'poor'.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:38 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,207,835 times
I was looking for some more recent data in balloon format but could not find it. However this is from 1990-1999 and one can extrapolate how the trend was heading at least in the early parts of 2000 and on.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:45 AM

2,935 posts, read 5,003,558 times
Don't worry, it'll trickle down eventually, how dare you begrudge those CEOs of what the all-knowing market of justice dictates that they must be paid? Stay the course, vote Republican.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:55 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Don't worry, it'll trickle down eventually, how dare you begrudge those CEOs of what the all-knowing market of justice dictates that they must be paid? Stay the course, vote Republican.
ha ha Fish, you know I will! Ever notice that the only thing trickling down from the top is bovine excrement? Heck, I am still waiting on the "Peace dividend" that was supposed to occur after the fall of the Soviet Union... now where did all that fat cizash go?

Vote Ron Paul

Old 10-13-2007, 11:13 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,247,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I was looking for some more recent data in balloon format but could not find it. However this is from 1990-1999 and one can extrapolate how the trend was heading at least in the early parts of 2000 and on.

S&P 500 was running a P/E ratio of about 25:1 at that point in time (final date of your attached graph). It has lessened to a ratio of around 18:1, so that is now less out of kilter with corp earnings than shown in your graph.

Salaries of CEO's continue to be way higher than historical average, in relation to average salaries. That could be corrected with active Board of Director participation by the investment houses, pension funds and mutual funds. This would give employees an indirect means to influence and correct that disparity. But that assumes that they even care enough to try and fix it.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:15 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,801,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I agree.

Why is say that is us tradespeople have controlled our family sizes (2 children or less on average), curbed our drinking and being bad citizens in general yet the powers-to-be do not wish to share the wealth.

Normally; a smaller labor pool forces wages up------yet, the so-called 'patrician' class is now flagrantly breaking the laws by tacitly encouraging illegal immigration to try to keep us 'poor'.
People just do not get it. 1 out of 7 manufacturing have been offshored since 2000. Globalization is what is changing the rules here. If you could transport every illegal person back across the border today, here is what would happen. 1/2 the jobs (the "dirty" ones) would not get done anymore. The other 1/2 would follow the illegals back with them and the companies currently domestic using illegals- would move their operations to follow the low cost labor. The American working class is no longer competitive, and they will never be no matter how hard working they are. Unless they want to work for peanuts. Companies are going to use low cost labor, either here or elsewhere. The Big Dogs do it to make their profits for their executive bonuses and their shareholders, and everybody else has to now follow along to stay competitive.

So please don't tell me the reason there is more income disparity now is all due to more people being lazy inacheivers. That is just bs, pure and simple, and should be more and more obvious to people that do not just blindly march along to dogmatic principles they are taught.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:17 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Very well stated. We need real patriots in government. Politicians who will fight the corporate outsourcing trend by de-incenting or outright regulating it. Right now this practice is going unchecked and 100% of the Fortune 500 engages in it with plans to expand. This practice used to be limited to unskilled labor positions but now it expands to every non-client-facing position of business in every industry. It is directly contributing to the income inequality as middle-class employees are seeing their jobs eliminated or their incomes stagnate while the C-level employees/officers are making bonuses for cutting costs and increasing profit levels.
Its not just the high wages CEO's get, but it is their decision to export free of charge the nations silver, all that technological legacy, produced by countless workers, to China and India et al just to get their hands on a bit extra.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:48 PM

694 posts, read 2,653,847 times
Admittedly I am a son of a hippie.The process of affecting change
thru financial choices and raising my own children with conscientious
thought is a challenge. Personally I would love to see more folk
live within their means, spend more time with their families,
and spend/vote with a clearer vision. I believe we have a moral
obligation to prepare our kids for the likely changes they will
have to cope with in the future. Is it possible to teach common sense ?

Old 10-13-2007, 01:28 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,188,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
So, are you saying that Enron screwed its' employees and frauded its' shareholders during that period of time between the date of the inauguration of Bush and Enrons' collapse? That during the period of the Clinton presidency Enron committed no evil?

Would the same apply to WorldCom?
Enron & WorldCom were doing it all along, but I don't recall Clinton being terribly cozy with them. Do you recall Bill Clinton calling Ken Lay "Kenny Boy"? Did Ken Lay do favors for Bill Clinton?

Ken Lay certainly was cozy with George W. Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies