Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christmas decorations be allowed and put in public places?
Yes 185 78.72%
No 23 9.79%
Only if other religious holidays symbols are put 27 11.49%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times

Advertisements

In the Public Square - sure. In places where government conducts official business (statehouse, courts, etc) - no.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,197 times
Absolutely. Christmas decorations add to the festive atmosphere of the holidays.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Xians should NOT be given any priviledge over any other faith or non-faith on any level of government.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
As long as other religions and athiests are not denied their rights to express their beliefs in the public square if they so choose I don't see why not.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Every year local municipalities bring out the garlands, lights, bells, holly, candy canes, etc. No one AFAIK ever raised a stink about it. If they were setting up crucifixes, nativity scenes, and such religious idolatry on public property, I would consider that only if all others who are not christ followers are allowed the same with their own displays. Fair is fair.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Definitely. Even if you're opposed to religion or not Christian, let's be honest, Christmas in America is about consumerism more than it is about Jesus Christ.
No it's not. Every normal human knows that Christmas is due to birth of Christ.
Yes, buying gifts is part of Christmas, and its origin has to do with Christmas if you read more about it.

What do you want retailers to do? Put up "Jesus Christ birthday coupon"

Christmas <-- Name says it all.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Sure, as long as muslim, sikh, buddhist, pastafarian and all others are allowed as well no matter how uncommon. Contrary to xian dogma, America isn't a xian nation.
Christians make up 80% of the population, while next biggest religion is Judaism at only 2%.
All religions & Non-religion besides Christianity are minorities in the US, and their holidays are not celebrated nationally.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:13 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Definitely. Even if you're opposed to religion or not Christian, let's be honest, Christmas in America is about consumerism more than it is about Jesus Christ.
It is becoming that way. I love Christmas, but I'm sick of seeing advertisements for it as far back as Halloween.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
As long as symbols or displays representing other religions(or lack thereof) are allowed.
If I'm not mistaken they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
As long as other religions and athiests are not denied their rights to express their beliefs in the public square if they so choose I don't see why not.
They are not having their rights denied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Yes, buying gifts is part of Christmas, and its origin has to do with Christmas if you read more about it.

Yes, Christmas is about the birth of Jesus Christ. Yes sharing gifts is a part of that tradition. However; you cannot argue the fact that Christmas has been commercialized to the point where it is way over the top. It's not even Thanksgiving, and there are already a ton of commercials. Also, a lot of Christmas traditions are in fact based on old pagan rituals. No issue with that last part, just saying.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Honestly, I don't give a darn. I think it's really silly for people to argue over it. Christmas is as much of a secular holiday as it is a religious one. Most decorations I've seen on gov't buildings are secular in nature. I wish people would start worrying about real issues of overzealous Christianity instead of unimportant holiday decor.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post

I'm a normal human and we celebrate Christmas. Aside from some Christmas carols, there is no mention of the religious aspect of the holiday in our house because we are Agnostic.

There has long been celebrations at this time of the year - the darkest time of the year. "Christmas" as we know it today is a wonderful blend of many different celebrations throughout history. We celebrate the more secular part of the holiday rather than the religious. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies