Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christmas decorations be allowed and put in public places?
Yes 185 78.72%
No 23 9.79%
Only if other religious holidays symbols are put 27 11.49%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
It's amazing and interesting that about same amount of people that voted 'Yes' are same amount of Christians in this country.

Those who voted 'No' should read the first amendment. Freedom of religion....
As I said earlier, I was going to vote "yes" until I saw you'd started the thread... still haven't voted, actually, so I'll add mine to throw off the percentages. LOL

Oh, and if I were you, I wouldn't be telling other people to read the Constitution - given your inability to understand it, and stubbornness in not admitting we aren't a Christian nation.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Maybe you should have skipped that semester of religion, and taken a class in American Government instead... because no matter how many times you say it, majority does NOT rule in this country. Go ahead, try to get a city ordinance passed banning anything but Christmas decorations - then come back and let us know how that went over with the local courts.

The US is a Democratic and diverse nation, where all people have the right to be equally represented. Don't like it? Move.
Yeah yeah I'm glad you believe so

I haven't seen anything but Christian holidays and symbols in public, so I cannot complain.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
This country does not have mob rule. Don't like it? Move.
Yes it does. How does a president get elected? Thru the votes of the majority of people.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As I said earlier, I was going to vote "yes" until I saw you'd started the thread... still haven't voted, actually, so I'll add mine to throw off the percentages.
Wow big deal, your vote will take away Christmas from America. All non-Christians would vote 'No' anyway because of their hatred, bigotry and arrogance. That's why the 'Yes' percentage appears to be the same as amount of Christians living in nation.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:09 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
I remember one person making a stink about the post office having a decoration that said Peace on Earth...I guess their religion doesn't advocate peace.

I personally am only offended by tacky decorations regardless of the religion

Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah yeah I'm glad you believe so
Quote:
Yes it does. How does a president get elected? Thru the votes of the majority of people.
You really don't get it, do you??

I'll try to explain in simple terms... the majority can vote on issues, yes, but they cannot dictate or monopolize individual/civil rights. Having more Christians might skew elections one way or another (if you all agree on a certain issue or candidate), but that will NEVER allow you more rights than any other religion. To summarize, if a law is passed it applies to EVERY American - so if decorations and religious displays are allowed in public, they are allowed for each and every person living freely in this country. Got it now? Probably not!

Old 11-25-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Wow big deal, your vote will take away Christmas from America. All non-Christians would vote 'No' anyway because of their hatred, bigotry and arrogance. That's why the 'Yes' percentage appears to be the same as amount of Christians living in nation.
I guess your reading comprehension is failing (funny since you tried to admonish me for that), since I clearly said I was voting YES.

You're the only bigoted, arrogant & hateful person here - so save those adjectives for people with your "my way or the highway" attitude, please.

Quote:
I haven't seen anything but Christian holidays and symbols in public, so I cannot complain.
Neither have I (so far), and I'm not complaining either... so who's really the intolerant one between us? Hmmm.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
I remember one person making a stink about the post office having a decoration that said Peace on Earth...I guess their religion doesn't advocate peace.

probably an atheist..... How did the person look like?!

Old 11-25-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
D'oh!! I think they get so caught up in this fake "war on Christmas," they actually end up ruining it for themselves... I've yet to actually hear or witness a non-Christian complaining about this crap, and yet every single year the Christians just can't stop whining about it. Now they even hate peace? I swear, they just make themselves look stupid in the end.

Quote:
Me too, LOL. I mentioned earlier about having spent Christmas in the UK one year, and how they have mostly blue decorations (as opposed to red & green). I thought those were quite pretty, and SO much less tacky than what you see here.

Here's one picture I took in the UK:

They also had a tasteful menorah in one neighborhood (with a strong Jewish presence), since Chanukah was the same week that year.

On the flip-side, here's a tacky display they install yearly near my place:

Old 11-25-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
probably an atheist.....
Nice try, but anyone with half a brain knows only a Christian would make such a stupid complaint... since "Peace on Earth" is non-religious, there is no reason an Atheist would have to complain.

Quote:
How did the person look like?!
Do Atheists and Christians generally have distinct appearances? What do you think an Atheist looks like, exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies